gear price jumps

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
We can justify all we want about pricier fly line. The final decision is if we want the line bad enough.

Divad

Whitefish
I will give one counterpoint, knowing what goes in to making lines: After working in that world, I don't think lines are as over-priced as people think.

That, and I consider a fly line to be the most critical part of the entire fly fishing kit. Matters way more than the rod, reel, and yes...even backing, for just about any fishery.
But that doesn’t really justify an increase as such unless somehow they’ve woven in unicorn hair now. Cost decrease as scaled, and r&d hasn’t exactly come out with unicorn hair lines, so I’d say a flatline cost of r&d at best, likely decreasing relatively.

Or you have brands that know folks in the fly industry will pay for expensive stuff and want to offer an expensive line. With all the marketing terms one can hope for. I think it even says it’ll give you an inch 👍

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
But that doesn’t really justify an increase as such unless somehow they’ve woven in unicorn hair now. Cost decrease as scaled, and r&d hasn’t exactly come out with unicorn hair lines, so I’d say a flatline cost of r&d at best, likely decreasing relatively.

Or you have brands that know folks in the fly industry will pay for expensive stuff and want to offer an expensive line. With all the marketing terms one can hope for. I think it even says it’ll give you an inch 👍
It's less the R&D, and more the extrusion process. Those machines are HIGHLY expensive. They can also only make one line at a time, and it's not as fast as you might think. So these things have a massive amount of overhead.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
If it's truly priced beyond reach for the folks that want such things then demand will diminish and offer price accordingly.

I don't see that happening, since it appears there's still a strong market for $400 nippers and $600 flyreels.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
"For some money means nothing. For the select few pursuit of the ultimate quarry means everything and the fish of a lifetime, priceless. For them we offer the unobtanium saltwater series fortified with unicorn hair for ultimate strength and flexibility in adverse conditions. For the rest of you, piss off, you can't afford excellence nearing perfection."

Just warming up my ad campaign for the new fly lines. I like to get into the motivations of my target group. Just spit balling at the moment but the full campaign will be at least as expensive as a Filson or Simms campaign.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
All I have to say is that it better come with a reusable spool for that price.

SSPey

loco alto!
around 20 years ago, a friend involved in domestic fly line production lamented to me that the packaging cost more than the fly lines themselves. Let that sink in. It is hard to imagine that’s changed. And another who built a fly line extruder and is now selling flylines domestically, one person operation, not wealthy. The fly line business is dominated by too few manufacturers, but is generally too small a market for competition to fully manifest. That may change with pricing like this.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Here I am on a pretty much fixed income, and with the cost of living going up faster than the cost of living raise, I just don't see how to keep up.
Home owners and car ins. increases really caught me by surprise this year.
With a little searching I can still find fly fishing gear and hand tools some what reasonable.
But damn

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Maybe it is just me, but I've had bad luck with fly line durability. I'm sending one back tomorrow that has a lot of cracks in it after 10 months use.
10 months is better then the 3-4 months I've gotten from another line brand. When you talk to the customer service rep and they tell you 'our lines don't break" or "guides replace their lines every year", its hard to get excited about paying a premium price for lines. I understand they are consumable and I'd be willing to pay more if they were in fact more durable.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Maybe it is just me, but I've had bad luck with fly line durability. I'm sending one back tomorrow that has a lot of cracks in it after 10 months use.
10 months is better then the 3-4 months I've gotten from another line brand. When you talk to the customer service rep and they tell you 'our lines don't break" or "guides replace their lines every year", its hard to get excited about paying a premium price for lines. I understand they are consumable and I'd be willing to pay more if they were in fact more durable.
SF
There's only one company I've had that cracking problem with

Divad

Whitefish
It's less the R&D, and more the extrusion process. Those machines are HIGHLY expensive. They can also only make one line at a time, and it's not as fast as you might think. So these things have a massive amount of overhead.
The extruder hasn’t started using unicorn hair or rhodium rollers has it? My point is there is no drastic change of recent to fly line manufacturing to justify such price increase.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Time to stock up on Cortland lines....
I still use a ton of Cortland. Always have loved their lines. SA or Cortland are on most of my reels.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Regardless of value, etc etc etc....that big of a price hike shocked me.

It would be cool if instead of giving out free stuff to "influencers" and their ilk, these companies would set something up where the average consumer can actually get their hands on the products and test them out themselves whether through a fly shop or some sort of loaner program. Not sure what that would look like, but just a thought.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
SF

"Guides replace their lines every year". If I could get fly lines at a substantial discount or even free to test, I'd probably replace them more often too.

This is my big gripe with fly lines. If it costs so much, it should last a while.

Didn't someone post on another thread that an insider told them fly lines aren't expected to last more than a season?