gear price jumps

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I try not to post too many whining posts, but I don't recall seeing a price jump like this for a fly line...

1714046214327.png

And here I was just getting used to $99 as being the standard for "top of the line" lines...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Hrmm, welll. thankfully none of the ones I use have quite gotten there yet.

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Funny that you posted this. I was just looking at this line last night and telling my wife a new line is now up to $180. lol

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I will give one counterpoint, knowing what goes in to making lines: After working in that world, I don't think lines are as over-priced as people think.

That, and I consider a fly line to be the most critical part of the entire fly fishing kit. Matters way more than the rod, reel, and yes...even backing, for just about any fishery.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I will give one counterpoint, knowing what goes in to making lines: After working in that world, I don't think lines are as over-priced as people think.

That, and I consider a fly line to be the most critical part of the entire fly fishing kit. Matters way more than the rod, reel, and yes...even backing, for just about any fishery.
I agree. But—It does seem sort of upside down to think that you could very legitimately be fishing a rod that costs less than your line. Especially since pretty much all lines do wear out with normal use but unless you do something goofy a rod could last pretty much forever.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I agree. But—It does seem sort of upside down to think that you could very legitimately be fishing a rod that costs less than your line. Especially since pretty much all lines do wear out with normal use but unless you do something goofy a rod could last pretty much forever.
Oh definitely. For a "consumable," it hurts

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
While I completely agree that that is a painful price. Two things.

1. it's a new technology
2. Considering that a trip to Christmas Island in many thousands of dollars it's a drop in the bucket large drop I suppose.

Doesn't help the pain of the new price or justify the price but that's what I can think of.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Oh definitely. For a "consumable," it hurts
yes, that.

but to your point (and Rob's), I'm sure the amount of time spent figuring out the best forumulations/technology that goes into it, etc, etc, etc...it probably makes more sense. It's definitely more of a sticker shock thing for me! especially for a consumable.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Not that this helps anyone.... but as someone who is also a gear fisherman with two boats (including one that goes in the ocean)..... A $120 fly line is very much in the "oh that's cute" category :ROFLMAO:

No, I'm not rich. Probably in the bottom 50% of earners here... I bought junk boats I fixed up. BUT... gearing up for a summer/fall of meat fishing, the expenses REALLY pile up. Fly fishing is VERY cheap by comparison.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah I saw that line and price the other day too. Heres another thing to think about...2-3 years from now this line will probably be the first close out discounted fly line on sale @ $100+