NFR Garmin?

Non-fishing related

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
1.) I have this Garmin. Does anyone still use these or have I been left in the dust here too? I even have the CD of US topo maps. Doesn't help with public/private land, shits complicated now.

2.) What should I be using to find my way back out of the woods now?

3.) Can this acid mess be cleaned up and fixed or is it junked?

20231126_215957.jpg

20231126_220009.jpg

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
+1 for OnX, shows property lines and who owns them!
A Gaia annual subscription is a bit less expensive ($40 worldwide) and I believe has the same features as OnX (1 State $30 - 2 State $45). Both can be used with other apps like RiverFlows, GoPaddling, and FishWA (yeah I know, works for me)...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A Gaia annual subscription is a bit less expensive ($40 worldwide) and I believe has the same features as OnX (1 State $30 - 2 State $45). Both can be used with other apps like RiverFlows, GoPaddling, and FishWA (yeah I know, works for me)...

Brian,
Does either Gaia or OnX show tideland ownership?
If so, can you provide a screenshot of what it looks like? Like how far out the property lines extend out from the beach into the tidelands.
SF

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Here's a Gaia screenshot of the Hood Canal shore properties around a VRBO rental we stayed at near Seabeck.

Screenshot_20231127_063838_Gaia GPS.jpg
OnX probably uses and displays the same data

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Interesting, I figured everything was cell phone and subscription based now. :cautious:

So does cell service affect these aps? I never really had an issue with Garmin getting a satellite signal. I'm always having signal issues with the phone.

Triggw

Steelhead
Interesting, I figured everything was cell phone and subscription based now. :cautious:

So does cell service affect these aps? I never really had an issue with Garmin getting a satellite signal. I'm always having signal issues with the phone.
With ONX--and I assume some others--you can download maps to the phone to be used offline when out of cell service. They sync with the online map. I.e., if you add a waypoint to the offline map, it also appears on the online may when you reconnect.

There's a free version, BTW, it just doesn't show you property lines and owners.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thank you! I did not know that GaiaGPS had a "US Property Ownership" layer and just found and added it.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
With ONX--and I assume some others--you can download maps to the phone to be used offline when out of cell service. They sync with the online map. I.e., if you add a waypoint to the offline map, it also appears on the online may when you reconnect.

There's a free version, BTW, it just doesn't show you property lines and owners.
I have tried the free on x trial, I downloaded the map before we left Bend because I knew we were going out of service. I guess it works, I'm just kinda a basic bitch and liked following the bread crumb trail back to the car.

So if the phone is offline, it's still getting satellite connection even though it's not in range of cell towers for voice/text?

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
So if the phone is offline, it's still getting satellite connection even though it's not in range of cell towers for voice/text?
Yes. Your GPS location still works. So if you have the map downloaded to your phone in advance, you can see yourself on the map. Running out of phone charge can be an issue, though.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Yes. Your GPS location still works. So if you have the map downloaded to your phone in advance, you can see yourself on the map. Running out of phone charge can be an issue, though.

Gaia and I believe OnX both require a Premium subscription for offline maps. My Gaia Premium (without Outside+ option; not sure what that provides) is all in one - worldwide with US Public & Private ownership boundaries, WA GMUs (hunting), USGS National Forest trails & Recreation sites, Nat Geo Thru Hike trails, Offroad overlays and many-many more (i.e. wildfires, cell coverage, ski resort reports, slope angles for avalanche forecasting, mining claims for rockhounds...) at $40.

Also, OnX is divided into 3 apps - Hunt, Offroad, & Backcountry; I don't know what the differences are. Each has Premium 1 state ($30), two state ($45), and Elite nationwide ($100 o_O 🤮) property boundary ownership map overlays.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Also at least with Samsung phones, putting the phone in Airplane mode turns off the radio for comms (voice & text) that helps preserve battery because the phone bumps up radio power and with it battery consumption in low-no signal areas, but the GPS stays on.

In no coverage areas I carry a small USB battery charger.

Triggw

Steelhead
Also at least with Samsung phones, putting the phone in Airplane mode turns off the radio for comms (voice & text) that helps preserve battery because the phone bumps up radio power and with it battery consumption in low-no signal areas, but the GPS stays on.

In no coverage areas I carry a small USB battery charger.
Good tip, because I've noticed ONX (or Android) really burns up battery if you're offline.