Garmin Striker Questions

Wayne B

Just Hatched
Thinking of upgrading to a Garmin Striker and have some questions that I hope can be answered here:

How do you mount these on a pontoon? I use a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise, notice some here use them on tubes, haven’t been able to see details on Garmin manuals but assume there is some way to mount them where one can see and operate the screen.

Do the transducers work well on the trolling motor mount? In my case a Minnkota 30.

Batteries? What’s the standard setup? I see some recommend the Nocqua battery pack, is there an alternative? What are some options?

BassPro has the Striker 4 on sale beginning March 7- 27 for $99.
Hi,
I use the Scotty tools to attach it to my pontoon boat. It took a while to figure it out as you are right, Garmin does not give any hints.
I use the transducer holder and the locking bases on my frame. I have one for the transducer on the rear rail and one for the readout head near on the frame rail. I bought the Garmin kit that has a black bag (and mounting for hard surfaces). I clip the bag into the plastic bin aft of my seat. On the water, it sits in the bottom of the bin. In the photo, it is on top of all the pontoon parts I keep in the storage bin. I keep the battery in the bag. The power cable to the readout is shorter than I would like. I like the locking Scotty gbases because you have to push the button to release. No accidentally rotating and falling overboard. I also wanted to use the mounts and not the under the tube straps because the straps add drag and I am slow enough already.

The photo shows where the head mounts near my leg on the inside of the frame and the mount for the transducer.

Attachments

• 20240301_215104.jpg
    20240301_215104.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240301_214841.jpg
    20240301_214841.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240301_214557.jpg
    20240301_214557.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240301_214520.jpg
    20240301_214520.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 33

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I’m looking at this setup from fishfindermounts for my drift boat. The mounting arm for the ‘ducer travels vertically in the clamp and there’s also a hinge mechanism to tilt it out of the water.
View attachment 105480
And then a friend...let's just call him Billy can swap out a side scan system when he goes with and we can dominate Dry Falls like never beforeaustinpowers-drevil.gif

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
I replaced my 30 year old Hummingbird FF with a Garmin Stryker last spring. The depth readings it gives me are way off. I need to spend some time troubleshooting. My Hummingbird was very accurate.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I replaced my 30 year old Hummingbird FF with a Garmin Stryker last spring. The depth readings it gives me are way off. I need to spend some time troubleshooting. My Hummingbird was very accurate.
Are you sure it's the Garmin & not the Hummingbird? I'm just curious if you've measured any other way...mostly because I have the Garmin and this would be good information to have, especially since this is the first I've heard of such a thing.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
The Garmin should be very accurate as well. Something is off. How do you have your transducer set up and on what watercraft?

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
The Garmin should be very accurate as well. Something is off. How do you have your transducer set up and on what watercraft?
It is on my 14' aluminum boat. I have down riggers on the boat and checked the depth by lowering the down riggers until I hit bottom in about 100 feet of water. I'm using the electric trolling motor mount for the transducer. Instead of mounting it on my trolling motor I have it mounted on an L- shaped rectangular rod that I clamp to the transom. It sounds funky but I want to avoid drilling holes in my boat. I used the exact same setup with my Hummingbird and it was always very accurate.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
It is on my 14' aluminum boat. I have down riggers on the boat and checked the depth by lowering the down riggers until I hit bottom in about 100 feet of water. I'm using the electric trolling motor mount for the transducer. Instead of mounting it on my trolling motor I have it mounted on an L- shaped rectangular rod that I clamp to the transom. It sounds funky but I want to avoid drilling holes in my boat. I used the exact same setup with my Hummingbird and it was always very accurate.
Understood. Few more questions? Is the depth only off when the boat is under power? Does it give shallow readings ok and struggles with deeper?

Does it have its own battery or how do you have it wired? 🤔

If all else fails have you tried a factory reset? You may have accidentally set some settings wonky....I'm wondering if you put a manual range on it.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Is the transducer parallel with the water surface?
Even a slight cant forward or backwards can cause inaccurate readings.
How does it read in 15 or 20 feet of water.
Downrigger counters are not always 100% accurate either.
You could anchor in fairly shallow water say 15' or 20'. Measure the depth with a tape measure or a known length of cord.
Compare the known depth to the depth on the Garmin.
Then go to the keel offset function and adjust with the plus or minus button to match the unit depth reading to your actual known depth.
It may be that the keel offset has a inaccurate setting currently causing the discrepancy your're seeing.
You tube is your friend when learning the in's and outs of setting up and understanding the functions on the unit.
I hope this helps. If not contact Garmin support at 913-397-0872. I've used their support service a few times and had great results.
Or do what @Billy said.😊

Last edited:

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
Thanks for the good advice. I will see if that helps. I don't think it is the down rigger counter that's off. I have two of them, different brands and they both read similar depths. I believe that the transducer is reasonably parallel to the water. Its the exact same setup I used with my old sounder and it always worked well. I'll try the keel offset next time I have it on the water.

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
Sent this out before, but a creative way to have your Striker set up for multiple craft, float tube, framed pontoon, frameless pontoon, pram, or boat.
Car caddy (AutoZone) with a strap to go around any tube, with a Scotty small track mounted to middle. Can add a 241 block for other accessories too. Scotty kayak small track gear head with Striker mounted to top. Battery in side pocket; I use car starter type, weighs 7 OZ. Caddy gives you lots of other usable space, cup holder, I even included cigar tray.

View attachment 105403
That is most excellent.
MacGyver is alive and well.

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
I built my own mount for the 9ft CDC pontoon using 1/2 inch PVC.
Built a battery box that simply drops over the back bar.
Takes me about 30 seconds to set it up.
18Ah LiFePO4 battery in the box means I can fish 4 days without recharging.
Ronbow solved the multiplatform issue. Kudos Ronbow that is a tough issue to solve without purchasing additional equipment.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 111314.pngScreenshot 2024-02-15 111840.pngScreenshot 2024-02-15 112107.pngScreenshot 2024-02-15 112226.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 112146.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 112146.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
On my Outcast PAC800 I used the Ram mount for the head unit & a bicycle kick stand for the transducer. The transducer stays out of the way during transport & launching. For power the battery goes in the side bag.

https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-202u
https://rammount.com/products/rap-b-201u-a#
https://rammount.com/products/rap-b-400u#
https://marcumtech.com/product/brute_kit/

View attachment 107167View attachment 107168View attachment 107169
I like the kick stand idea

BriGuy

Life of the Party
On my Outcast PAC800 I used the Ram mount for the head unit & a bicycle kick stand for the transducer. The transducer stays out of the way during transport & launching. For power the battery goes in the side bag.

https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-202u
https://rammount.com/products/rap-b-201u-a#
https://rammount.com/products/rap-b-400u#
https://marcumtech.com/product/brute_kit/

View attachment 107167View attachment 107168View attachment 107169

The kickstand is absolutely genius! Another great thing about it is that if you forget to raise your transducer when you beach the pontoon, the kickstand should retract as you "hit" shore.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Used the conical mount from my defunct Fishing Buddy II and a piece of foam pipe insulation to fill the hole. A foot long section of 1/2” aluminum hang glider tubing fit firmly inside the foam and adjusts up and down. A glue on Scotty pad and removable mount attach to the conical mount.

IMG_5813.jpegIMG_5812.jpeg