Garmin Striker Cast

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have experience with these? They seem like a neat solution, for folks in float tubes. I think I researched these before, but I can’t remember what the outcome was. I have newborn induced sleep deprivation and memory loss.

Islander

Life of the Party
That looks like a great little unit. I don’t have experience with that particular one, but I’ve been using this in my float tube and it’s very convenient.

Divad

Whitefish
Didn’t read the full Cast specs, do you have to have a cell signal?
I wouldn’t think so, most likely works off either a Bluetooth or WiFi radio to your phone. Cellular would be too expensive.

I saw someone use one of those from a bank on a lake in Mason County. Looked pretty neat, and they seemed to be enjoying it. Only thing I’d wonder is how chop/waves affect the sonar given its floating. I’m sure Garmin has a system to mitigate some of it.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
I wouldn’t think so, most likely works off either a Bluetooth or WiFi radio to your phone. Cellular would be too expensive.

I saw someone use one of those from a bank on a lake in Mason County. Looked pretty neat, and they seemed to be enjoying it. Only thing I’d wonder is how chop/waves affect the sonar given its floating. I’m sure Garmin has a system to mitigate some of it.
My thought was more you use an app on your phone?
Does the app need cell to locate where you are?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have the iBobber, which is similar. Connects via app on the phone via Bluetooth. Slick little fish finders, but you may end up upgrading to something like the Garmin Striker 4 sooner than later.
Main thing I didn't like was how fast your phone battery drops. Made for some tough end of musky days when you get that last second fish and your phone is dead so you can't get a pic....ok, that was pretty specific, but still...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have the iBobber, which is similar. Connects via app on the phone via Bluetooth. Slick little fish finders, but you may end up upgrading to something like the Garmin Striker 4 sooner than later.
Main thing I didn't like was how fast your phone battery drops. Made for some tough end of musky days when you get that last second fish and your phone is dead so you can't get a pic....ok, that was pretty specific, but still...
Thanks for the battery comment. The whole cell phone part bugged me. I use a leash and got an otter box coming for the new phone, but leaving it cooking in the sun on the tube pocket or somewhere I can see it, well, it's often way too hard to see anyway. Couldn't quite bring myself to get one.
I like hunting for the fish, but at some point I know I'll get some sort of sounder/finder.

Last edited:

Islander

Life of the Party
Thanks for the battery comment. The whole cell phone part bugged me. I use a leash and got an otter box coming for the new phone, but leaving it cooking in the sun on the tube pocket or somewhere I can see it, well, it's often way too hard to see anyway. Couldn't quite bring myself to get one.
I like hunting for the fish, but at some point I know I'll get some sort of sounder/finder.
I mainly use mine for depth and temperature readings.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
I have one and love it. Battery usually lasts multiple outings. It’s very helpful for getting water depth and temp. On my iPhone it isn’t too hard on the battery unless I’m trolling for hours and watching it.

You don’t need to turn it on or off, it’s water activated and will start running feed on your phone’s app when it is in the water. The app is easy to use too.

Seems to be pretty good at picking up fish, unless it’s really choppy out.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Took it out for the first time. Second time ever fly fishing a lake with a float tube. Caught three fish. They were all in the vicinity of where the finder showed a bunch of fish, so I guess it works. Pretty happy with it.

I connected the leash to one of the D loops, on the side of my float tube. I set the leash length just long enough for it to bob around in a ~12in radius. This seems much better than faffing around with mounts, for a regular fish finder.

I used my old backup phone, which has an old/depleted battery. Despite that, it only used about 25% over 3 hours. The unit itself used about 50% of its battery.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Took it out for the first time. Second time ever fly fishing a lake with a float tube. Caught three fish. They were all in the vicinity of where the finder showed a bunch of fish, so I guess it works. Pretty happy with it.

I connected the leash to one of the D loops, on the side of my float tube. I set the leash length just long enough for it to bob around in a ~12in radius. This seems much better than faffing around with mounts, for a regular fish finder.

I used my old backup phone, which has an old/depleted battery. Despite that, it only used about 25% over 3 hours. The unit itself used about 50% of its battery.
that's exactly how i used my iBobber....it functionally worked great that way.