Frustrating Issue with 3 Sage Rods in a Row

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with the glue quality on Sage Rods purchased in the last 3 years? I bought a Trout LL in 21, had an X cork section rebuilt in '21, and got a Trout Spey HD in '22. The reel seat on my Trout LL is falling off. The cork on the X spins. And the reel seat on the Trout Spey HD twists in its place essentially meaning I can't twist off the locking washers to free the reel from the rod.

I'm not going to lie, it's pretty fucking frustrating. I want to support Sage but I've never had these issues with Scott or Winston rods. And I know I've seen Sage rants on this forum and the last. I will make a caveat that these rods have spent frequent time in a rod vault during the summer. Is this a result of overheating or is something amiss on Bainbridge Island? Are others having these glue issues?

ABITNF

Steelhead
I've seen this with a few rods lately. Might be old glue. I understand the frustration. I'd call them and see what they are able to do for you.

tkww

Steelhead
I own a few sages and my least favorite part is the reel seat area. While I haven't had anything come loose like you have, they somehow manage to feel less secure than any other brand I own. Tighten on a reel, make a few dozen casts, and then need to tighten it further. It's kinda weird. That and I've seen some pretty crappy cork on their rods. Which for a top-end rod I don't really consider ok.

They replaced a breakage for me a few years ago. Unfortunately and sans any communication, they replaced a delightful, soulful 6 wt with a fucking 2x4 that cast better with an 8 wt line. Admittedly I was at fault for the breakage, but after that I ceased purchasing sage products.

I'm wondering if the glue issue is 'demic/supply-chain related. Like maybe they switched brands because they couldn't get what they normally used? But thanks for the heads up, I will stick with my avoiding.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Peter -
I've only had one "glue line" failure on any of my Sage rods; reel seat on a 590-2 Fli (probably as old as you :cool:) so I'm no authority on newer Sage rods. I hope they resolve your issue quickly.

Best//Pat

While I’m not gonna necessarily defend Sage, I will say that heat is the enemy of a lot of adhesives.

Maybe it’s a combination of heat and a different glue like someone else suggested, but I do think the heat is definitely a factor.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Yup...had the reel fall off my brand new 5 wt Sage X the second time I fished it last year. It was completely obvious what the problem was....there was only a split shot sized little blob of glue holding the butt section on. Not a bit of adhesive around the rest of its circumference.

The dealer fixed it, knowing I'd likely not get it back from Sage by the end of the season.

Heat had nothing to do with it...early spring. My rods live in my climate controlled den between every outting.

Not very impressive build quality. I'm done with Sage. The damn thing doesn't feel any better than a TFO or Echo...which don't seem to fall apart...and are one hell of a lot less in price.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The experiences described in this thread are disappointing. I have one Sage rod, a VXP which I enjoy but have more or less given up on them. For my two-handed rods, I prefer Meiser’s and his warranty is excellent. Every few years, I send them in for inspection and refurbishing the cork for a minor fee. Other than the VXP, I have gone to Echo rods and really enjoy them. On my last trip I shut one of the tips in the truck door (in a hurry). Since I had cell reception where I was fishing, I filled out the online paperwork for a replacement and it arrived a week later. Cost me $20 plus shipping.

(Edit). I did transport my Spey rod in a rack on top of my truck last August on the Deschutes when it was very hot. When I arrived back at camp and tried to pull the middle ferrule apart, it was stuck. After I kept it in the shade I managed to pull it apart. I always use a light coat of wax on the ferrules, but heat is not good for graphite rods and they are now broken in half and transported in the truck between runs.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Something has definitely changed at Sage, and I’m not exactly sure but when ownership or new management takes over a long established company built on certain principles, like quality products, warranties, simple customer service, etc and turns to profit driven goals instead of field product and customer service motives then expect things to take a turn down. Going back a few years some respectable people in the industry (think guides and fly shop personnel) said Sage had dropped significantly in quality control and were not up to par with former Sage rods ( I didn’t say technology but quality such things as poor wraps, epoxy smears or build ups, crooked guides, etc.

I’m more of an LL, XP, RPL, Z-Axis era owner.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am all for supporting local, but does made in the US mean better quality or just higher prices? There is a middle ground in S. KOREA

ABITNF

Steelhead
The best customer service we get in the shop is from Echo. Sage and Redington (aka: Far Bank) has been good too but not as seamless as Echo.

Quality Portugese cork is getting scarce. Good cork can go for $2 or $3 a ring. It used to be 10 cents when I built my first few rods.

Also important to treat your handles with Cork Seal.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Putting a $1,000 rod in an aluminum oven on top of your rig makes no sense to me. I'll tell you this, when change shafts in our golf clubs, we apply a little bit of heat to the hosel of the club head. It's surprising how little heat it takes. I don't even like storing my clubs yet alone a fly rod in a hot car.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Back when I would buy and sell 10-15 rods per year searching for the holy grail I never settled on a Sage for any purpose. I did this from 2008-2013 or so and then I settled on my quiver. My favorite brands from that searching ended up being Winston, Scott, Burkheimer, Meiser , and Echo (Ordered from favorite first). I tried all the brands anybody recommended on WFF. Amazingly, I had a Sage pro deal at the time and yet I never even used it. I do own a Sage SP, and DS2 I bought in high school in the late 90s that I really like and I always felt they were better than the newer faster rods Sage is making.

I never had any issues with Sage build quality, but I will say that it was pretty obvious which brands I vibed with and it was never the newer faster Sage rods. I feel like Sage diverged to techy sounding names and advertising and fast designs 20 years ago and it has cost them the business from the crazed anglers like me who know what a really good setup feels like. They have a lot of brand name recognition and coast on that but I think it’s hype at this point. I’ll bet if you had a well set up Winston and a Sage and people didn’t know which was which they would choose the Winston almost every time.