NFR Frogs are back!

Non-fishing related

RCF

Life of the Party
I have lots of wetlands adjacent to my property. Every year I look forward to the frogs croaking to attract mates. It is such a beautiful wall of 'music' to my ears.

I heard them tonight! A first so early. I have lived here 25 years. I usually hear them starting in March.

Going to sleep is so much easier with their music in the background.

But in January? Going to be some great sleep this year!

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have lots of wetlands adjacent to my property. Every year I look forward to the frogs croaking to attract mates. It is such a beautiful wall of 'music' to my ears.

I heard them tonight! A first so early. I have lived here 25 years. I usually hear them starting in March.

Going to sleep is so much easier with their music in the background.

But in January? Going to be some great sleep this year!

Heard them Sunday am while walking the dog.

RCF

Life of the Party
I am hoping the early emergence of the frogs means earlier hatches of bugs. After all frogs gotta eat, right?

If so, fish will become more active earlier too.

On the other side, lawn is growing and the mole hills are popping up everywhere right now.

Looking forward to a long spring and getting out there earlier than normal...

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m sure those of you with frogs have experienced this
You’re sitting out listening to this really loud frog presence and all of a sudden it just stops!! Totally stops
Total silence
I’m thinking predator just entered the scene

RCF

Life of the Party
You’re sitting out listening to this really loud frog presence and all of a sudden it just stops!! Totally stops
Total silence

Happens all the time. What is interesting it is not just the frogs in the tree/marsh line near me but other armies of frogs away a ways stop too. Never figured out why tho...

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Had a flock of Robins here in Spokane yesterday.
Maybe @Shawn Seeger's powers aren't so strong after all.:ROFLMAO:
Haha, we will see about that, still maybe a little magic to come.

But yes I shared in the lakes forum that I heard my redwinged blackbirds were back early this year. And last night we also had frogs singing and actually committing suicide in front/under the car.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Total silence
A fun and somewhat new game I like to play is “sneak up on the frog while it’s croaking”. It’s a lot harder than you’d think. I usually deploy a stalking position. Low profile stance and the softest of steps. I like to use the outside heel - rolling to small toe approach I learned in drum and bugle core when I was a derelict preteen. Right now my goal is to just get eye contact with the frog while it’s croaking. I’ve gotten close but no eye contact yet.