Freshwater SRC flies

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
View attachment 29108View attachment 29109

After much procrastination I finally started working on my box. I can’t for the life of me tie a reverse spider that isnt butt ugly, but so it goes. Couple more weeks until it’s go time.
Steam your mallard and strip one side before you wrap…tie in first (might be helpful)

The way I tie those (from memory)…

Start thread at eye and wrap back about 3-4 eye lengths; wrap thread back n forth to create a slight tapered thread dam (wider at eye/narrower towards hook bend).

Tie in mallard by tip, strip one side, and wrap toward hook bend. Tie off and trim waste.

Wrap thread to bend and tie in tail.

Wrap thread about hook mid-point and tie in chenille (steam your chenille when you do your mallard feathers). Wrap thread to hook bend. Wrap chenille towards hook eye, slightly covering back of mallard (for protection). Then wrap chenille back to waiting thread at hook bend.

Tie off and trim chenille and thread waste.
Apply head cement on whip finished (or half hitched) thread wraps.

Something like so…(I know this is not mallard, but the same techniques and tying steps will apply)

44D1D07A-EE3F-4223-BDC0-D207CCD37BDC.jpeg

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Steam your mallard and strip one side before you wrap…tie in first (might be helpful)

The way I tie those (from memory)…

Start thread at eye and wrap back about 3-4 eye lengths; wrap thread back n forth to create a slight tapered thread dam (wider at eye/narrower towards hook bend).

Tie in mallard by tip, strip on side, and wrap toward hook bend. Tie off and trim waste.

Wrap thread to bend and tie in tail.

Wrap thread about hook mid-point and tie in chenille (steam your chenille when you do your mallard feathers). Wrap thread to hook bend. Wrap chenille towards hook eye, slightly covering back of mallard (for protection). Then wrap chenille back to waiting thread at hook bend.

Tie off and trim chenille and thread waste.
Apply head cement on whip finished (or half hitched) thread wraps.

Something like so…(I know this is not mallard, but the same techniques and tying steps will apply)

View attachment 29127
Yep that’s how I tied them, but no steaming the feathers I’ll have to try that. I just don’t like finishing the fly behind the chenille and particularly the orange chenille I have is not round, so it lays down kinda funky and I wasn’t getting the tapered body I wanted. The brownish ones I tied were much nicer to my eye because it was actually round and went down even. I’ll probably do another dozen so maybe I’ll be an expert by the last one lol.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Anyone ever try to tie a reverse spider with rubber legs instead of the mallard?
I have, I didn’t like it near as much but YMMV. The mallard really breathes beautifully on the strip IMO, some feathers better then others, and sometimes it seems like the more they get chewed on the better they fish. For as ugly as they are in your hand, they look awesome in the water. It easy to see why every species in the river will bite it. Great fly.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Yep that’s how I tied them, but no steaming the feathers I’ll have to try that. I just don’t like finishing the fly behind the chenille and particularly the orange chenille I have is not round, so it lays down kinda funky and I wasn’t getting the tapered body I wanted. The brownish ones I tied were much nicer to my eye because it was actually round and went down even. I’ll probably do another dozen so maybe I’ll be an expert by the last one lol.
Steaming the chenille brings back to its roundness; especially if it was carded.
It’s cool to watch it fluff up too!!
Give it a go. 😉

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Steaming the chenille brings back to its roundness; especially if it was carded.
It’s cool to watch it fluff up too!!
Give it a go. 😉
Great tip, yeah the orange chenille is carded and very old. Not surprising that it’s so flat. I’ll try that! Thanks

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Here is how Mike ties his fly.

Tiemco 200 size 4 or 6
Lady Amherst(original) or mallard flank(cheaper and more consistency size wise for the money) white or yellow most comon but pink, red, blue have all worked
Chenille.

Dats it folks.

Dark flies for dark days
Bright flies for bright days

Mike liked the 200 hook that is 3X long with the curved shank for the short strikes that Cutties can do.
I have found they can do some damage though, any longer shank hook can work.

this is a 6

Start a thread base behind the eye.
20220825_163333.jpg

Tie in the feather right behind the eye wraping back to make the tail.
20220825_163631.jpg

Wrap the feather back and tie it of, cut the stem and wrap thead back to the midle.
20220825_163834_resized.jpg

Tie in the chenille in the midle.
20220825_163956_resized.jpg

Wrap forward going slightly over the hackle, the chenille is acting as a prop to support the hackle. Then wrap back going 2 turns past the tie in point creating a taperd body. Whip finish and done, I like to use a different colored thread for kinda of a hot spot!
20220825_164219.jpg

My flies on the left
Mikes flies on the right.
20220825_164808.jpg

These flies are fished with a pump & strip action.
Lift your rod tip 3 to 5 inches
While droping the rod tip strip in the slack...
Pump, strip in the slack
Pump, strip in the slack
Pump strip
Pump strip
Pump strip
Pump strip

Mike has said that the faster and shorter the fly moves the bigger fish will show, 3"-5" will work exceptionally well!
It looks like a Jellyfish pulsing across the river!
Fishing out of a boat is best way to fish the RS for the visual experience of seeing the beasts coming out of the dark attacking the fly!
If you see a fish do not stop, if you do they will not be seen again!
If you missed and they didnt touch the hook you might get a second chance.

If you see a flash set the hook!
If you felt a take you missed it!

My favorite way to fish for Cutthroat and looked forward to Cuttie season every year when I guided.
I had a client pull the fly away from Steelhead twice because he couldnt see his fly or the Steelhead following it, Face palm!
Several resident Rainbows, West Slope Cutthroat, Im sure a client had a very large Bull Trout on and several(8-10) small Chinook that were probably next years smolts being only 5"-6"?

Borden Special (sunny day)
Notes_230527_101753_809.jpg
Hook: Wet/streamer size 6 or 8
Thread: Black 6/0
Tail: Hackle fibers, hot pink and yellow
Rib: Flat silver tinsel
Body: Dubbing, hot pink, thin and fluffed
Wing: Calf tail, white
Hackle: Schlappen, hot pink and yellow

Female Coachman (cloudy day)
Notes_230527_101901_838.jpg
Hook: Wet fly hook size 6 – 10
Thread: Black 6/0
Tail: Red hackle fibers
Butt: Olive dubbing
Body: Yellow dubbing
Wing: Deer body hair - white
Hackle: Brown

Here is some traditional, tried and true stuff we toss here on the OR central coast