FOUND ROD - snoqualmie fork

Cliff

Steelhead
Timely, I just finished putting my address labels on three of my new-to-me fly rods, or I should say their rod tubes. Hope you find the owner.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
This has got me wondering.

I wonder how many times a rod gets picked up as a "lost rod" when in all reality is probably someone working up or down stream with two rods and they drop one off while they fish. And then someone coming the opposite direction, thinks it's a lost rod and takes it as a good Samaritan. For instance, I remember one time I was fishing the McCloud above Ah Di Nah and I had a dry and nymph rod, left the dry rod and probably fish a half mile before turning around and grabbing it. Someone easily could have thought it was lost.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

I wonder how many times a rod gets picked up as a "lost rod" when in all reality is probably someone working up or down stream with two rods and they drop one off while they fish. And then someone coming the opposite direction, thinks it's a lost rod and takes it as a good Samaritan. For instance, I remember one time I was fishing the McCloud above Ah Di Nah and I had a dry and nymph rod, left the dry rod and probably fish a half mile before turning around and grabbing it. Someone easily could have thought it was lost.
Need a laminated "be right back" note to leave w/ your rod.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter

I'll say it...a lot. Not that hard you'd think but aparently it is. Much of the time the owner is either nearby or will return shortly when they discover it's missing.

I recently had a bag of spoons, forceps etc that i was leaving trailside while i fished for bass on the rocks just below. Whoever among the walkers/joggers that picked them up couldn't figure out the guy fishing 20 ft away just might be the owner. Guess I was equally dumb assuming they'd have half a brain.

I'd be all for signage saying leave it at the trailhead (or boat launch etc)...ideally not necessary, but...

Chadk

Life of the Party
I'll say it...a lot. Not that hard you'd think but aparently it is. Much of the time the owner is either nearby or will return shortly when they discover it's missing.

I recently had a bag of spoons, forceps etc that i was leaving trailside while i fished for bass on the rocks just below. Whoever among the walkers/joggers that picked them up couldn't figure out the guy fishing 20 ft away just might be the owner. Guess I was equally dumb assuming they'd have half a brain.

I'd be all for signage saying leave it at the trailhead (or boat launch etc)...ideally not necessary, but...
Yeah, there are times that makes sense. At this particular spot, there really isn't a clear parking area. You kinda make your own. Then you bushwack in some NASTY stuff quite a ways. There were no fresh tracks. It was also dark by the time I got back to my rig. Looked like one or 2 people came through that area several days back based on the only prints in the area - likely over the past weekend. If he knew exactly where it was left, it would be about a 20 minute beeline mission to go retrieve it. Nobody wants to do that particular trek in the dark... Also, it was in the case and looked like it was dropped perhaps off a backpack or something - not carefully set down. May have no clue where it fell. And if they drove hours away, may not be able to come back any time soon.

The idea of leaving it at the trailhead or launch (if that even applied and it didn't here) is a no-go for me. In an ideal world, sure. But I KNOW I plan to try and locate the owner, but the others who may come across it may not be so helpful...

I left a few rods sitting at the boat launch once at a local lake. Packed up my kayak and headed home. Left at dark and a few locals were out drinking and fishing well into dark on their kayaks. Got 15 minutes away and realized what I'd done. Zipped back and found that they had loaded them into their rig already. A little sketchy situation - approaching 3 drunk rednecks in the dark to retrieve my rods... But I typically conceal carry and wasn't going home without them one way or the other. I got them back, but too close for comfort!

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Yeah, there are times that makes sense. At this particular spot, there really isn't a clear parking area. You kinda make your own. Then you bushwack in some NASTY stuff quite a ways. There were no fresh tracks. It was also dark by the time I got back to my rig. Looked like one or 2 people came through that area several days back based on the only prints in the area - likely over the past weekend. If he knew exactly where it was left, it would be about a 20 minute beeline mission to go retrieve it. Nobody wants to do that particular trek in the dark... Also, it was in the case and looked like it was dropped perhaps off a backpack or something - not carefully set down. May have no clue where it fell. And if they drove hours away, may not be able to come back any time soon.

The idea of leaving it at the trailhead or launch (if that even applied and it didn't here) is a no-go for me. In an ideal world, sure. But I KNOW I plan to try and locate the owner, but the others who may come across it may not be so helpful...

I left a few rods sitting at the boat launch once at a local lake. Packed up my kayak and headed home. Left at dark and a few locals were out drinking and fishing well into dark on their kayaks. Got 15 minutes away and realized what I'd done. Zipped back and found that they had loaded them into their rig already. A little sketchy situation - approaching 3 drunk rednecks in the dark to retrieve my rods... But I typically conceal carry and wasn't going home without them one way or the other. I got them back, but too close for comfort!
Good point! Hikers tend to be upstanding folk but those damned fishermen are a different story...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

This all makes sense, not accussing you at all!

I think I was just wondering out loud as I often leave my shit and wonder if its going to be there when I get back.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Upper noochee, i come down river and find a rod standing up against a tree. This is a hike in spot, i have seen 3 guys in 20yrs walking and wading this section.
The owner may/will come back for it. I also think, whoever else drives and hikes this far in are gonna be good people, so i leave it be.
An hour or so later, i come across and older guy and he says its his rod. We talked shop for a bit and went out way.
A few hours later on my way out....it was gone.

Like golf......you may not see another golfer, but if it ain't your ball.....you leave it alone.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Upper noochee, i come down river and find a rod standing up against a tree. This is a hike in spot, i have seen 3 guys in 20yrs walking and wading this section.
The owner may/will come back for it. I also think, whoever else drives and hikes this far in are gonna be good people, so i leave it be.
An hour or so later, i come across and older guy and he says its his rod. We talked shop for a bit and went out way.
A few hours later on my way out....it was gone.

Like golf......you may not see another golfer, but if it ain't your ball.....you leave it alone.
Well you found the owner and knew he was still there. So of course your job is done at that point.

Chadk

Life of the Party
So while looking for label, I found out that this is missing the tip section. Wonder if someone dumped it because they were mad or didn't think getting a new tip was worth the hassle? Still hopeful I can reunite with the owner though! I'd also like to find out how long they have been fishing my secret spot! lol