For those who carry on the river

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Looking around for a chest holster that will fit comfortably under waders, any suggestions?
for a compact revolver or semi, consider a ComforTac band holster, strapped on just below your rib cage, it would position the grip just below the top of your waders. Works well with J-frame or micro-semi.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
There's a fair amount of tweakers and other weirdos jungling up along the Spokane River...some openly hostile and obviously mentally ill. Bear spray might be the best option for such urban fisheries. The perp is likely to survive, and you're less likely to be subject to ruinous civil suit by survivors for harming an illustrious and altogether wonderful family member.

Remember...a shooting might well be deemed justified under criminal law...but that doesn't protect you from civil suit liability. A legion of plaintiff attorneys await....

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
for a compact revolver or semi, consider a ComforTac band holster, strapped on just below your rib cage, it would position the grip just below the top of your waders. Works well with J-frame or micro-semi.
How many waterproof holsters has anyone seen in their searches ? Inside your wader top is a good start, but I still worry about water intrusion into the action on my GP100

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
There's a fair amount of tweakers and other weirdos jungling up along the Spokane River...some openly hostile and obviously mentally ill. Bear spray might be the best option for such urban fisheries. The perp is likely to survive, and you're less likely to be subject to ruinous civil suit by survivors for harming an illustrious and altogether wonderful family member.

Remember...a shooting might well be deemed justified under criminal law...but that doesn't protect you from civil suit liability. A cadre of plaintiff attorneys await....
This is why I always practice 'leave without a trace' while camping or fishing :LOL:

"Jungling up" I'm so stealing this term, thank you

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
Leaving without a trace after shooting somebody (however justified) will very likely result in criminal charges....and 'without a trace' along an urban river just ain't gonna happen. In fact it will just compound the problem.

I carry (a Glock 42 or 30, depending on circumstances) but I"d MUCH rather bear spray somebody than shoot them.

Some professional self-defense training might be more useful than bullshit you hear in a web forum or from the bozo sitting on the next barstool.

Last edited:

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I hunt and fish in Alaska, I carry my .44 magnum in a Kenai Chest Holster. When hiking, hunting or fishing locally I'll carry my Glock in a Hill Peoples Gear Recon Kit Bag.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
How many waterproof holsters has anyone seen in their searches ? Inside your wader top is a good start, but I still worry about water intrusion into the action on my GP100
fine handgun like a GP100 best served in quality OWB leather.
There is a good reason that commercial divers in shark country carry Glock's in calf holsters, Seal teams use them on wet missions, and the Danish Sirius teams patrol sub-zero Polar bear country with 10mm Glocks to supplement their 30-06's. They go bang regardless of the conditions.

Reactions: HOG

Flymph

Steelhead
Just thought I'd ask this question, "How many of you have actually practiced using this firearm with any amount of safety training"? Not being snarky just don't like the idea of bullets flying through the air. I have had shot land in one of the lakes I fish from moron bird hunters and there is no place to take cover!!

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just thought I'd ask this question, "How many of you have actually practiced using this firearm with any amount of safety training"? Not being snarky just don't like the idea of bullets flying through the air. I have had shot land in one of the lakes I fish from moron bird hunters and there is no place to take cover!!
Alot

krusty

Forum Supporter
Yes...and I floss regularly as well.

And I ask, how many of you have actually taken professional level firearms self defense courses?

The circumstances associated with justifiable discharge of a firearm towards an individual far transcend any considerations about your ability to do so in an accurate manner.

Last edited:

Islander

Life of the Party
I practice a lot. I take my chest pack to the range several times before heading out each season. Walk away from the target and use the random setting on my shot timer. When it beeps I turn, draw and fire. If you are going to carry you need to practice.
As to the original question of this post. I use a chest pack from FHF. They make several styles, options for fishing, hunting, etc. They sell a Razco holster kit that can be added on or worn alone. Great company, great products (US made) you can call and talk to someone about your needs and they can help you out.

Attachments

• F54A08DC-0DDA-47E5-9296-4CA7B7DFD26A.jpeg
    F54A08DC-0DDA-47E5-9296-4CA7B7DFD26A.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: JS

JS

Mankie Old Chum
All of this “don’t shoot, you’ll ruin your life!” rhetoric is silly. Of course it will! But you’re talking about an absolute worst case scenario, in which you have to save your own life or the life of another.

I wear mine where I wear it mostly because the tweaks don’t fuck with you when you open carry. Plain as that.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
I practice a lot. I take my chest pack to the range several times before heading out each season. Walk away from the target and use the random setting on my shot timer. When it beeps I turn, draw and fire. If you are going to carry you need to practice.
As to the original question of this post. I use a chest pack from FHF. They make several styles, options for fishing, hunting, etc. They sell a Razco holster kit that can be added on or worn alone. Great company, great products (US made) you can call and talk to someone about your needs and they can help you out.
I’m running basically the same setup, just the Marsupial gear version. Like it a lot, but I wish the weapon rode a little higher on my torso. Works pretty great though, aside from limiting my wading as not to submerge my Glock.

Practice, practice, practice. I shoot at least once a month, more in the summer, but I wish I had closer access to a nicer indoor range.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve never carried, so this is new to me. But in some of the places I enjoy fishing more off the grid, there are more and more 2 legged weirdos out there. I recently took my dad fishing while he was in town and we had a very bizarre and sketchy encounter with 3 guys and a half naked chick and after we got out of there my old man really came down on me about carrying for self protection. So, here we are. I’ve never been concerned about anything with 4 paws, but the tweakers are another story.

Tweakers should be actively hunted with a long gun. A comfortable shoulder strap and an AR platform should allow you to both fish for non existent steelhead and actively hunt the state animal, the northwestern tweaker. They are often found in the Riverside habitat of once great steelhead streams so you are already in the hunt while fishing. The extra range and capacity of the rifle really helps rack up limits and defend at distance against this feral and invasive species. Some are very aggressive as their overpopulation and lack of predation has emboldened them as they encroach into other habitats. I suggest a bait station of an unattended car or bicycle. Silencers can be a big help for multiple kills per outing. Get the proper tax stamp for these, do not make your own.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Plenty. Fact is you can't perform at my level without training. If you want to whack and stack trophy tweakers the way I do and avoid prosecution and civil suits you're gonna need some training. Serious training for serious situations. I have my own range where I work situational scenarios tailored to my quarry and environments. A brief walk through my trophy room would enlighten you to my qualifications. There you will find trophy class tweakers rating at the top on all three class point systems, the Seattle, Portland, and Olympia scales. Here they are beautifully preserved in life-like wild settings and situations. There are some dismantling wire and bicycles, some in their encampments, some actively prowling vehicles, and others in active domestic street squabble. They look agitated but I assure you they are at rest. Taken legally, ethically, and most importantly without harm to bystanders or myself. I would love to invite you on a hunt. Just like meth, it really gets in your blood.

Joe M

Smolt

Remember...a shooting might well be deemed justified under criminal law...but that doesn't protect you from civil suit liability. A legion of plaintiff attorneys await....
They‘d have to find the body before they could sue you.