Fly Tying Christmas Gift reviews

Paul_

Life of the Party
Here’s a review of my fly tying Christmas gifts (gift card from a fly shop). Keep in mind I’m a few steps below mediocre in my tying/reviewing abilities…

The gifts-
2F59B623-22B5-4764-A43E-0AAC2784F59D.jpeg
  1. If you haven’t tried Semperfli Nano Silk, you should. Small diameter and incredibly strong. Recommend it.
  2. Fly Tyers Z-Ment. Good stuff. I like the applicator brush. Recommend it.
  3. SMHAEN Master Dubbing Twister $5005DA551B-367D-477B-931B-FEE0019001E0.jpegI tied a few flies (size 10 jig leeches) with it and don’t like it. The selling point is the hook opens up and opens your loop. It does do that, but it doesn’t open up much. I still end up using my finger to create a bigger opening. This is fully open-0B59CFDA-21F6-41B0-8744-EF46941BAC37.jpeg Also, there’s not much weight to it and that makes it not spin as good as other dubbing spinners (like my $20 Loon Spinner). Don’t Recommend It (might work well with smaller files and the Swiss CDC clamp).
  4. Stonfo Comb Brush $9.50 D27E9614-A2AF-4406-843D-33E98315C5B7.jpegI really like this. Its profile is small and easily gets at the underside of flies. It’s also very grabby and picks out materials nicely. It definitely beats my handmade one- 3545FC22-5195-4600-BDD7-787A0619CD51.jpegRecommend it.
  5. Hareline Zirkel Magnetic Hook Organizer $18.95. This is what I have been using- 262413F6-FB16-4629-AAF1-3E7D6D09DE39.jpegThe Hareline Magnetic Organizer is way better. Keeps hooks securely and well organized. No more hooks lost in the carpet or stuck in my foot😉. BEC6205E-2AB7-4BF9-86B7-946933C20544.jpegRecommend it.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Here’s a review of my fly tying Christmas gifts (gift card from a fly shop). Keep in mind I’m a few steps below mediocre in my tying/reviewing abilities…

The gifts-
View attachment 48990
  1. If you haven’t tried Semperfli Nano Silk, you should. Small diameter and incredibly strong. Recommend it.
  2. Fly Tyers Z-Ment. Good stuff. I like the applicator brush. Recommend it.
  3. SMHAEN Master Dubbing Twister $50View attachment 48981I tied a few flies (size 10 jig leeches) with it and don’t like it. The selling point is the hook opens up and opens your loop. It does do that, but it doesn’t open up much. I still end up using my finger to create a bigger opening. This is fully open-View attachment 48983 Also, there’s not much weight to it and that makes it not spin as good as other dubbing spinners (like my $20 Loon Spinner). Don’t Recommend It (might work well with smaller files and the Swiss CDC clamp).
  4. Stonfo Comb Brush $9.50 View attachment 48984I really like this. Its profile is small and easily gets at the underside of flies. It’s also very grabby and picks out materials nicely. It definitely beats my handmade one- View attachment 48985Recommend it.
  5. Hareline Zirkel Magnetic Hook Organizer $18.95. This is what I have been using- View attachment 48986The Hareline Magnetic Organizer is way better. Keeps hooks securely and well organized. No more hooks lost in the carpet or stuck in my foot😉. View attachment 48989Recommend it.
I’ve been thinking about adding a dubbing twister to my tying tools - thanks for your review. Good information!!

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I have a dubbing twister. It occupies the most inaccessible hole in my homemade tool rack. I don't use it often.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
i have the stonfo comb brush and i cut it in half.

it just didnt work in my hand with the ends being opposed to each other 90 degrees. just awkward

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party

The gifts-

1. SMHAEN Master Dubbing Twister $50View attachment 48981I tied a few flies (size 10 jig leeches) with it and don’t like it. The selling point is the hook opens up and opens your loop. It does do that, but it doesn’t open up much. I still end up using my finger to create a bigger opening. This is fully open-View attachment 48983 Also, there’s not much weight to it and that makes it not spin as good as other dubbing spinners (like my $20 Loon Spinner). Don’t Recommend It (might work well with smaller files and the Swiss CDC clamp).

WHOA!

I got this dubbing twister last year, and think it is one of the best fly tying tools ever!

And I’m not alone.