Fly fishing albacore oregon

EBT

Smolt
Does anyone have recommendations for guides for albacore preferably in the mid-north coast Oregon area? I won't be buying a 12 wt, so they'd need to provide equipment. I realize it's an August/September trip, but didn't do well looking online, so thought I'd reach out to the experts.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I am not aware of anyone offering fly fishing specific trips out of Oregon, but I want to say that there might be a dory captain or two that might. Just don't know much about those folks.
There was a guy that was around on the old site somewhere in Oregon that was doing a bit of fly fishing. I want to say his name was Black Dog Fishing or something along those lines. Might be worth a search.

In the albacore world in the PNW there isn't much in the way of full on fly fishing guides, at least that I'm aware of. That's one of the main reasons I have pushed for it so hard. Just a criminally over looked fishery in the fly world, IMO. Your best bet might be to find a standard charter in the area you prefer who is at least open to the idea, and then maybe borrow some gear. If you get to that point and can't find gear, hit me up. I'd be happy to loan you a setup.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Or you could get on board with a group going out of Westport.... cough cough....see the first responder. He's a pretty decent fella!

Gordy (Black Dog) has done a few trips with fly guys, present company included, but he does like his tried and true techniques. But if you get a group of fly guys together, he's definitely done it that way a number of times. Good dude too!

I dunno if the Caddisfly in Eugene is still running a dory or not, but might be worth a call.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Seconding Gordy out of Hammond. He will do fly trips, but it’s not his thing like Nick. He can put you on fish, though.

You didn’t ask, but I’d advise against trying to mix fly with gear fishing.

EBT

Smolt
I am not aware of anyone offering fly fishing specific trips out of Oregon, but I want to say that there might be a dory captain or two that might. Just don't know much about those folks.
There was a guy that was around on the old site somewhere in Oregon that was doing a bit of fly fishing. I want to say his name was Black Dog Fishing or something along those lines. Might be worth a search.

In the albacore world in the PNW there isn't much in the way of full on fly fishing guides, at least that I'm aware of. That's one of the main reasons I have pushed for it so hard. Just a criminally over looked fishery in the fly world, IMO. Your best bet might be to find a standard charter in the area you prefer who is at least open to the idea, and then maybe borrow some gear. If you get to that point and can't find gear, hit me up. I'd be happy to loan you a setup.
Nick, thanks. I probably should have just directed my question to you. Two years ago, I was talking with another person about a trip out of (I think) Lincoln City) with a dory guide. It didn't happen because the other person suffered an injury. I tried mightily to find that guy again online, and failed. Perhaps I just need to keep looking online.

EBT

Smolt
Or you could get on board with a group going out of Westport.... cough cough....see the first responder. He's a pretty decent fella!

Gordy (Black Dog) has done a few trips with fly guys, present company included, but he does like his tried and true techniques. But if you get a group of fly guys together, he's definitely done it that way a number of times. Good dude too!

I dunno if the Caddisfly in Eugene is still running a dory or not, but might be worth a call.
I didn't think of Caddisfly and will check. I do really like the dory idea, so I'm gonna keep looking

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I didn't think of Caddisfly and will check. I do really like the dory idea, so I'm gonna keep looking
They used to go through someone in Pacific City. It DOES look like a really fun way of going about it, although you're gonna be pretty limited on the days that the dory can get out there.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Try contacting Rob Perkin who runs Connect Outfitters https://connectoutfitters.com/. Rob runs fly fishing dory trips out of Pacific City from May to September. As clarkman states, albacore fishing out of a dory is pretty conditional. While Rob doesn't specifically advertise for tuna trips, it would be well worth reaching out to him. When Jack Harrell of Pacific City Fly Fishing retired, he sent his clients to Rob - he's a good dude.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Seconding Gordy out of Hammond. He will do fly trips, but it’s not his thing like Nick. He can put you on fish, though.

You didn’t ask, but I’d advise against trying to mix fly with gear fishing.

Haven't fished with Gordy yet, but had some discussions with him about fly trips. The fact that he's open and interested in fly fishing as another tool in the albacore box, speaks volumes to me about him as a skipper and fisherman.

As for mixing fly with gear on a tuna trip, it can be a cluster, but don’t necessarily think they are incompatible. A lot depends on how the fish are responding, and what gear techniques are being used that day. Mostly problems result from lack of experience or understanding of the respective unfamiliar technique.

This applies equally to the fly and gear side. Personally, I think the two can mix, and actually work in a complementary way, but only if the crew has experience with both.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A side note on Caddisfly. They have an excellent selection of saltwater materials and have become my go to online source for albacore tying.

Ryhlick

Freshly Spawned
I was just talking to Gordy (Black Dog Guide Service) this past weekend at the saltwater sportsman show about fly fishing for albacore. He is definitely open to more of it and has purchased his own equipment for his boat. Give him a shout, he is a great guy.

EBT

Smolt
I was just talking to Gordy (Black Dog Guide Service) this past weekend at the saltwater sportsman show about fly fishing for albacore. He is definitely open to more of it and has purchased his own equipment for his boat. Give him a shout, he is a great guy.
thanks!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Please do. Been interested in doing a Dory trip for years. Rockfish, salmon, tuna, whatever. Just looks fun as hell.
Yeah, I need to look into a rockfish trip or something this next summer....

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
will check on that and report on what I find.
As I mentioned above, Jack Harrell is no longer in the guiding business (John as well). Jack is now 81 years young and still enjoys dory fishing with friends and especially with John.

He's been referring his dory clients to Rob Perkin/Connect Outfitters. I've fished around Rob in tidewater - he's a nice guy and super fishy.

John and Jack from 2023

1709263712246.png

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Please do. Been interested in doing a Dory trip for years. Rockfish, salmon, tuna, whatever. Just looks fun as hell.
It does look fun, but tuna runs in those boats…do they just have the one motor?