fly coating

T

Tombraider

Some of these little bugs get blahed out if that makes sense from the Loon UV finish. I've been looking for SOLAREZ. Only online, PFF should carry but they won't. So is it a good UV coating without the Blah ?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Some of these little bugs get blahed out if that makes sense from the Loon UV finish. I've been looking for SOLAREZ. Only online, PFF should carry but they won't. So is it a good UV coating without the Blah ?
I like Gulff.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I don’t know what the Blah is, but if you’re concerned about the sticky feel, switch to the expensive UV light. It will solve the problem. If you’re cheap like I was for so many years, use the cheaper UV light and put your flies out in the sunlight for a few hours.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I put a thi
I don’t know what the Blah is, but if you’re concerned about the sticky feel, switch to the expensive UV light. It will solve the problem. If you’re cheap like I was for so many years, use the cheaper UV light and put your flies out in the sunlight for a few hours.
I put a thin coating of Sally Hanson's over my UV coating. It un-blahs the the surface and makes it nice and glossy and not sticky.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Do you use the Instra-Dry version when Sally Hanson's is the only head cement/coating on the fly, or do you use SHHAN for that?
Good question!
SHID is not as tough and soaks into threads a bit, so I only use it solo if it's a delicate fly I don't really expect to last long anyway. I do sometimes topcoat SHAAN with SHAD, as it's glossier and helps mute the smell.

It seems to bond well to both head cement/SHAAN and resin, so it lasts pretty well as the top coat.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Good question!
SHID is not as tough and soaks into threads a bit, so I only use it solo if it's a delicate fly I don't really expect to last long anyway. I do sometimes topcoat SHAAN with SHAD, as it's glossier and helps mute the smell.

It seems to bond well to both head cement/SHAAN and resin, so it lasts pretty well as the top coat.

Have you used the SHID on salt flies?
If so, does it soften after use compared to SHHAN?
SF

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Have you used the SHID on salt flies?
If so, does it soften after use compared to SHHAN?
SF
To be honest, my salt flies usually get so beaten up on rocks/oysters that it's hard to tell! It doesn't seem to get cloudy the way SHAAN can, though, as long as it's not chipped.
I used it over resin on all my bonefish flies (i.e. sandy warm beaches) and don't recall them getting cloudy or soft

T

Tombraider

Crawdad, holly shit this is getting deep. No, not sticky. Seems to dull the fly.