Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
1675021168981.png

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
The answer is, Yes.
I'll keep my eyes open and post updates as it gets closer.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is the same one as last year? The old golf course?

I searched and found the old thread....it is the same.

This has the potential to be much better than last year. I think we were still suffering from the covid protocol/effect a bit.
There was abundance of free casting coaching. They had several certified casters that would spend 30 minutes with you on one or two skill sets at your request...you want to work on your double haul, reach cast, steeple cast, etc....just ask and get your name in. They will give you a time or give you immediate coaching. Now you need to realize this is on grass so some casting skills are hard to duplicate without the water element...even though right on the shores of the mega metro jumbo rainbow trout fishing famed Lake Ballinger, it just doesn't really lend itself for useful purpose. I signed up and did a distance /beach casting lesson. The instructor fine tuned me a bit and gave me a single reminder to concentrate on until i dont need to think about it...it was more about elbow follow through (and tip of rod in higher position) on the final cast. It did help and I noticed the difference.

They also had some casting clinics that cost some money. I dont remeber the costs. think they were like 2-3 hour courses am and pm. Beginning casting was one and was ran by a few instructors including Ryan from Avid Anglers, LFP. Think they had another for more advanced casting skills. They also had a skills set test play ground. With your gear or theirs. You were sent through a series of casting skills and scored. If I remember correctly there were three different courses/tasks. Bronze/Silver/Gold... But to get to silver you had to pass the bronze, etc, ( I passed the bronze, but no way was i gonna pass the silver, plus the wind was not helping that afternoon)

There was some gear to try out...rods/lines. The best was trying out other's gear....Tried out a Helios 7 weight, and a couple other rods. I was most amazed by the line the certified casters were using on their own set ups... Ballistic fly line. That line on grass went loooonnnggg, good distance, color scheme let you know load point, true line weight, not this 1/2 heavier or more line to load certain rods.

There was a barbeque lunch...typical fare...hamburgers/dogs/ chips/drinks, real Balut eggs too if your in to that.

There were several displays or tables inside the old clubhouse, fly tying, different clubs, some organizations, etc... Nothing pushy. Looking for volunteeers, new members, and donations.

Thats what I remember. It was a decent afternoon and I enjoyed it much more than pre covid fly fishing shows at Lynnwood...MHO.

There was probably even more I just didnt know about it....

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The flyer says Spey Casting Classes, so I guess they're stepping it up this year.

I can easily see this being much bigger and better than last year. Plenty of room outside and inside (old golf course, old club house with outside deck seating and tables). Real restrooms inside and honey buckets outside for those who really enjoy them on warm sunny days. Ample and easy parking 😃

If they can only pull off a sunny 74° windless day ????🫠

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
There was a barbeque lunch...typical fare...hamburgers/dogs/ chips/drinks, real Balut eggs too if your in to that.
They had partly incubated, fertilized duck eggs to dine upon? I would call that anything but typical fare for such an occasion at ol' Lake Ballinger.
intro-1563219775.jpg

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Did anyone go?
I did, it was a fairly quiet affair with tiers, casting classes, casting instruction, and rods to demo. I was there for three hours or so and earned a "bronze level" casting certificate on the challenge course. Overall I had a good time and it was worth it to attend.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I did as a volunteer. More volunteers than non-volunteers, but it was a fun day and I got a chance to learn fishfinders from @Ronbow and talk bamboo rods with a guy who designs and builds bamboo rods each with a different specific cutthroat population in mind. Once he catches one on the rod, he donates the rod to charity and starts on the next one—truly awesome and inspiring, and the dude is amazing at woodworking. His cedar strip canoe makes mine look like a kindergartener’s project.