Flats wading shoes

Shad

Life of the Party
I bet there's a thread on this on the "old" board, but damned if I'm going there LOL, so let's get one rolling here.

Headed to the FL Keys in a few weeks, and I need some advice on flats wading shoes. We'll be in a boat as much as possible, but getting out to wade will probably be necessary at times, since it's not a flats skiff. I don't gather that I'll be wading in much coral (mostly sand and grass), so rays, urchins, and the like are probably the greater danger to my feet and legs. A blend of comfort and affordability would be ideal, but I realize that might not exist...

Recommendations?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I really like the felt soled Sea Sport tabis for that sort of wading. With a zipper, you can get in and out of them pretty quickly if you're changing from bare feet in the boat to wading in a hurry

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just get the best tool for this there is and thats the Simms Flats Sneaker.
1. Very protective.
2. Great support for ankles.
3. Light for what they are.

Overkill for sand? Perhaps but you'll thank me when you step on a sea urchin!

Shad

Life of the Party
Just get the best tool for this there is and thats the Simms Flats Sneaker.
1. Very protective.
2. Great support for ankles.
3. Light for what they are.

Overkill for sand? Perhaps but you'll thank me when you step on a sea urchin!
Those look like the best thing out there, but in true Simms tradition, they're also the single most expensive option available, by a longshot. Not as bad as wading boots, but pretty darn close.

Thanks for the tip. I don't want to spend that much, but knowing myself (and realizing that the right shoes are always a wise investment), I probably will.

Anyone ever used the Orvis Christmas Island booties? They're a little easier on the wallet and look pretty comfortable....

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used a pair of the Orvis CI booties. Fine if you aren't wading anything but sand and for short distances. No ankle support and not as protective as the Simms Flats Sneaker. And really so what if they cost 2x as much. Save one trip to the ER to get a urchin spike removed and you will have lost all that savings and then some not to mention fishing time lost.

mems

Steelhead
For Strictly wading coral and urchins I have the Simms Vapor but they don't make that one anymore. I think the free salt is their top of the line tough conditions boot now. They have the flyweight wet wading shoe that looks like the rip-rap that I loved in felt bottom. That was my favorite guiding shoe here in Hawaii, but they don't make that one any more. The flats sneaker was designed to do just what you want use in a boat and jump onto a flat and wade. I think most guys who take a guided flats boat trip look to do both. If you want a good boat shoe that you can wade in try the Columbia PFG Low Drag. It is cheaper and you can wear it out to the bar after a day on the water. To avoid urchins don't step on the black things. You might find some shoes on Steep and Cheap or Sierra trading post.

Shad

Life of the Party
Thanks, all. I went with the Simms Zipit 2 booties. The flats sneakers or the Freesalt boots look like what you need if you're doing a lot of flats fishing, especially around coral. I'll upgrade if and when I start taking those bucket list trips for sure. I'll report back on how the booties perform if I remember....