Flashlight?

Flymph

Steelhead
Looking to upgrade to a high powered flashlight. Research = prices, lumens, etc. are all over the place not to mention mostly bad to very bad testimonials. Love to hear your thoughts.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I've had the same rechargeable Streamlight for 15+ years and it hasn't let me down. I have a car charger and a wall charger for it. In addition I have a few USB Streamlight pen lights that I stash in strategic spots. Also I really like the USB headlamps made by Black Diamond. Again, I have a few stashed various spots

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
index.php

I have like 6 that are similar to these scattered around. Probably a dozen rechargeable batteries I rotate through.
Seems like keep on going now gor close to 10 years, including the same batteries.
I threw my maglites away, not needing to beat any one lately.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 192

Flymph

Steelhead
I've had the same rechargeable Streamlight for 15+ years and it hasn't let me down. I have a car charger and a wall charger for it. In addition I have a few USB Streamlight pen lights that I stash in strategic spots. Also I really like the USB headlamps made by Black Diamond. Again, I have a few stashed various spots
How many lumens on your main Streamlight?

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Streamlight and Pelican have some nice products…lumens, run time, and prices run the gamut.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the Fenix PD35, the last flashlight I will ever need. It is bright at 1700 lumens which is good for about 400 yards, it is light at 4.7 ounces, rechargeable with USB and cost about $80. One of it's best features is that with 5 levels of intensity you don't have to cycle through all of them to get the one you want. Just set the one you want and the next time you turn it on it is still there. It has a lanyard and a strong clip. Small and mighty it is an all metal piece designed for the long haul. Don't be tricked by the seemingly modest 1700 lumens rating, it is extremely powerful for it's size.

I have some powerful spotlights also, I never step out on the porch at night without one of these in my hand. The most recent addition is a marvel called the Anlook Q984 rated at 100000 lumens! This thing runs for 18 to 36 hours on a single charge having a 15,000 mah battery. It also has USB out ports that can charge a phone or the myriad of other devices that we seem to carry around today. In addition to the spotlight portion it also has a 2 stage sidelight that with the attached kickstand will work as a lantern. Range is quoted at 4,000' and at $40 it is a helluva buy. I have had some big assed spotlights over the years that were hell to carry around with their lead acid batteries but this thing is really light weight. Another nice feature is a tripod mount.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
+1 on the Fenix

And if you happen to have any Ryobi LI-Ion tools they make an incredibly powerful 2500 lumen spot light as well.

Last edited:

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Check out clouddefensive.com . I own a MCH that I purchased when I went back to working graveyard a year and a half ago. Luckily I'm off graveyard now but still working nights. I wouldn't think of going to work without it now. Being able to identify things in low light at a distance is crucial for me and I'm going to end up buying some additional MCH's to keep with different sets of gear so I always have one handy. I also own some Fenix lights but the MCH puts out way more light at a distance. In additional to just looking at lumens you also need to research candela when deciding on a flashlight that throws a lot of light down range.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Not all flash lights are created equal.
I won't buy cheap flash lights, they corrode unless you use them a lot.
My son never goes fishing without a head lamp.
As for myself. I head for the truck before it starts getting dark.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

kmudgn

Steelhead
Try Harbor Freight. I have several of their "tactical" lights with lumens greater than 800 and one about 1,500. They use standard batteries as well. Their prices are much cheaper than the "manly" brands. I have a Maglight which was issued to me from work. It is no better than the HF brand. HF sells great stuff as long as it does not have a motor, or engine.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I received a vital-tac as a gift.

I haven't used it since the day I played with it, but damn it is bright with a strong long beam.

My EDC is an Olight warrior mini 2 that someone gave me when I worked in a mine. 1750 lumens, USB charger and lasts a long time. I did accidentally burn a hole in my pocket before figuring out that it has a safe mode to prevent accidentally turning on. (Read the manual, stupid!)

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Zak,

I agree with you. The new, LED, Mini Mag Lite Pro, I picked up, is incredibly bright, light weight and small in size. USA made. Hell of a price point for what you get.

Ive been using mag lites for decades ( work and leisure/ full size and mini models). Im very impressed with LED Pro.

Happy weekend all.

Bob

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Another Fenix fan.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sorry, I'm a cheapskate. I bought two LED headlamps off of Temu for $5 that work a treat. I just have to worry that the Chicoms have put a brainwave modifier in the band 😁.