Five things I learned today from this "truck fell through the ice" article...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I went ice fishing with my uncle and cousins last winter on Devils Lake, ND. Interesting experience. We weren't roughing it per se in this Sno Bear. There wasn't much of a concern about dropping through the ice. I was there for 5 days and the hi was 18. No IPAs in North Dakota that I could see.View attachment 102381View attachment 102382View attachment 102383View attachment 102384
I've ridden in a Hagglund like Artster shows above; not on ice but through some pretty gnarly terrain in Alaska. Uncomfortable machine to ride in. Man, your uncle has quite the comfortable rig! Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea those existed. Interesting, but VERY ice fishing specific.

They sure don't give them away either! Seem to run $70-90k for even a used one. New models can be over $100k.

I had no idea either! I was like, what? Okay, let's party!!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I had no idea either! I was like, what? Okay, let's party!!
I mean, bass boats can get up in that price range and even small ocean fishing boats absolutely can. So I guess if you really love ice fishing...

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My Dad got a job offer that moved us from Washington to Wisconsin when I was 8. Ditto on the "cold as f@#%!" comment, but this was 50+ years ago.

It was January when we got there, and seems like we were driving out on the local lake within days of arrival. Was spooky looking out the car window as we drove down the ramp. Dad was a mechanical engineer and said we were safe given the ice thickness, and info from his engineer buddies that ice fished. I also remember Temps in the -10 to -40F range being common. Not sure that's still the norm..