Fishing with a dog?

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
I have a 13 month old yellow lab. I need/want to take him fishing me. I’m seeking some training advice on how to train him for bank fishing and from a boat. I realize there is no room for him on my pontoon boat. My Nucanoe is a possibility, along with my 14 foot aluminum boat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
The earlier the better. I have two labs (7 annd 3 now) and both started in the boat as tiny pups and started hiking around with me at about 6 months. My advice is to go somewhere where you aren’t likely to be around other people. That was the most distracting thing for my young labs and still can be. Bring treats for good recalls if he starts to get too far away for comfort. The toughest part for me when they were young was the whining when I waded into the river. Both would sit at the waters edge wondering why we weren’t playing fetch and just whine at me. Ignore it and stay focused on fishing, and they’ll learn dads busy and start to entertain themselves. I let both of my dogs play at the waters edge but taught them what the boundaries are pretty quick. Definitely no swimming unless I throw something for them. Honestly they figure it out on their own, the river is the greatest dog jungle gym on the planet. Sticks, rocks, lots of sand to dig in and animal sign to sniff. They stay busy and at 13mos old he won’t get tired or want to quit. Just make sure he comes to you when called, the treats will help.

The boat is another matter. That can be pretty overwhelming for a young lab at first and it’s best to make the first few trips with no rods while you see where you are at. He will have to learn it’s only ok to jump outta the boat when you give him the command. But the more you do it it’ll sort itself out quick, they are smart dogs and want to please. Have fun!

Be cautious loading and unloading at the truck, it took awhile before I trusted them off leash all the way to the rig. A dog with the zoomies along the highway is nightmare fuel. Bring a leash until you can trust him.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll second what Creatch'r said above. Something I never did. I don't fish with my 2 labs....buuuut, I'm sure they're pretty content chillin' at home and playing fetch.... :LOL:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Agreed. A couple thoughts:

Tired dogs are good dogs. Get it out for a walk or a trip to the dog park first. That way they aren't completely ballistic when you get there.

Probably best to hit a non-popular fishing spot. Besides things like baited hooks and old worm containers, its just easier if its you aren't having to worry about dealing with other people.

As Creathcher said, love em up but set hard boundaries. When you wade out to fish ignore them if they are whiney. If you respond they will just learn thats how to get attention.

For the boat bring something they have their smell on to create a "bed". Maybe a towel they've had in their crate. Just something that is familiar so they know where their spot is. At least at first make sure they know their spot and they stay there.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I always say dogs are only as smart as the owner with that my lab would sit on the back of my pontoon boat all day would not move even when I was landing fish I only had one problem with him did not want his feet to get wet would wait until my boat was near land as to not get them wet the previous owner must have put in water too soon

Divad

Whitefish
Real good tips already. Bank fishing or any walking make sure to have: “leave it” and “come” down solid! Wildlife, fish, occasional trash or gear can be real bad and I’ve had to recall my weim many times.

Always, always barbless.

Keep unfortunate situations stress free for the dog by trying to show less emotion or the opposite. IE: my dog once got hooked and I removed the fly with a 3yr old voice and praised him after. He loves getting hooked now! Jokes aside he has also been overboard unintentionally and kept that one a win with treats. If it’s an unfortunate event that they are causing then it might be a trainable situation.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fished for years with a Springer Spaniel that absolutely loved the water. It was never a question... he went with me everywhere. He absolutely knew what I was talking about when I said stay out of the water. You get that from spending the time, and from kindness. We fished in a canoe, and I can tell you if I can bring my dog in a canoe, you will be good in a wider, more stable boat. There will be some learning. Dogs want to please.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well yeah, I thought he was kinda smart, too. But even so, I have stories. It went sideways plenty.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
There is either no such thing as a tired 13month old lab, or my dogs were defective lol. My 3 year old is still a beast. He’s only tired when he gets back in the truck. I always have a bowl of food for them at the truck when we are done for the day. Keeps them busy while I put away gear, they can do their business in the bushes and we are set for the sleepy car ride home.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If anyone could figure out how to generate electricity from a labs tail, all we would have to do to solve our energy problems is keep them happy. I sent my lab to doggy daycare for the first year, and when I got off work if I didn't pay attention to him he just went to sleep. Money well spent.

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
There is either no such thing as a tired 13month old lab, or my dogs were defective lol. My 3 year old is still a beast. He’s only tired when he gets back in the truck. I always have a bowl of food for them at the truck when we are done for the day. Keeps them busy while I put away gear, they can do their business in the bushes and we are set for the sleepy car ride home.
I think there are 4 types of labs; black, chocolate, yellow and meth labs. He is a cross between the yellow and meth lab. I really wish I had a dock lab training area nearby.

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
No amount of training would allow me to be able to take any of my labs fishing. Once they saw water, they were swimming. I would have had to duct tape them to a tree to be able to fish
I totally understand. He had to check out a stump earlier this year in a river channel this year. Wondering if getting him in the water at 12 weeks was such a good idea.