Fishing the Yakima

BDD

Steelhead
Honest question Jerry, do you think you would have ever tried trout on the Yakima if fishing for salmon and steelhead were the same? Would/could you have pulled yourself away from it?

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Honest question Jerry, do you think you would have ever tried trout on the Yakima if fishing for salmon and steelhead were the same? Would/could you have pulled yourself away from it?
Actually I didn't try the Yak because of that. I tried it because of PHWFF. Easier to put newbies into trout with a fly rod than salmon or steelhead usually. I still can catch salmon pretty readily, steelhead not quite.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
@BDD should also add it was also set up by Chuck. He was primarily a trout Fisherman. So he set up the river and dates, I set up the camp and brought my boat.

BDD

Steelhead
Thanks. I kinda thought it was related to PHWFF. I was not sure which came first, the event or the downward spiral of salmon/steelhead fishing in general.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Thanks. I kinda thought it was related to PHWFF. I was not sure which came first, the event or the downward spiral of salmon/steelhead fishing in general.
The collapse, at least rivers I fish, came after. One of the best years I had fishing salmon and steelhead happened the year I helped stand up the program.