Fishing the John Day

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm planning a 3-day float of the John Day from Service Creek to Clareno in mid-May. I'll be going with folks who know the river, but not fly fishing.

Is this section strictly a bass fishery, or should I plan for trout as well? What's the go-to fly setup? Is a 6-wt the right rod?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've never done it, but as far as I know, that's pretty much just a bass game. Trout are a by-catch at best.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I floated that section two mays ago. Awesome float, a ton of fun. No signs of trout. Carp were porpoising all over. The water was chocolate milk, fishing was tough. Apparently they were catching them on poppers only a week before.

I would bring a floating line setup and a long sink tip. Something like the streamer max long. 6 or 7wt. If your conditions are anything like mine you'll use the sink tip the majority of the time. My favorite pattern was a bassmaster. No need to overthink flies.
IMG_2561.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bass only. Think 6 or 7 with a sink tip line.

Mid May really depends on when runoff comes. You could be at 500 CFS or 5,000 CFS.

Buggers, streamers, poppers. They’ll all work.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I'm planning a 3-day float of the John Day from Service Creek to Clareno in mid-May. I'll be going with folks who know the river, but not fly fishing.

Is this section strictly a bass fishery, or should I plan for trout as well? What's the go-to fly setup? Is a 6-wt the right rod?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Bass, 6wt , buggers streamers and poppers.
Pretty easy fishing.

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Easy fishing, all poppers for me. The geology is awesome. Hope you have less wind than we did a couple of June’s ago, and why is it always upstream? So much rowing.

1711675594361.png

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This will sound funny, but bring a few flies on big hooks. If the conditions are somewhat normal you will get tired of 3-6" fish and the big hooked flies will keep fishing until a bigger fish gets interested. I like a rabbit strip streamer with rubber legs, a der hair collar and a conehead on a size 2 or 4 B10 hook. Fish that on a light tip or poly leader, hit the bank and it should follow the river contour down to the bigger fish. That and sudsy back eddys.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
This will sound funny, but bring a few flies on big hooks. If the conditions are somewhat normal you will get tired of 3-6" fish and the big hooked flies will keep fishing until a bigger fish gets interested. I like a rabbit strip streamer with rubber legs, a der hair collar and a conehead on a size 2 or 4 B10 hook. Fish that on a light tip or poly leader, hit the bank and it should follow the river contour down to the bigger fish. That and sudsy back eddys.
Unintentionally this is what I’ve always done. I don’t think I’ve fished anything smaller than a 6 and mostly in the 1/0 to 4 range.