Fishing related adventures you are looking forward to in 2023...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
No particular order:

Sound, lakes, rivers, and any ditch large enough to hold fish and float my new watercraft. Hopefully this enables me to learn the musky fishery from @clarkman .

Keys for tarpon, bones.

Stripers back east.

High altitude brookies in Colorado.

Green drakes on the Provo.

Shad on the Columbia.

Lingcod and rockfish, salmon and tuna on the Washington coast.

San Diego for giant bass, halibut, tuna, bonefish, sharks, and *hopefully* dorado.

Pinks on the Sound.

Albacore off of Oregon.

Tuna and exotics out of Northern California (gonna hunt kelp patches).

Last edited:

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
My list for 2023:

Now through late spring: keep trying to catch a steelhead on a fly Clearwater, Ronde, or some other local river

March: I'm planning a week long ski trip to Southern Idaho and Utah, and planning to work in some stops to fish

April: hopefully a weekend in Montana for pre-runoff fishing, but any free time during the 2nd half of the month usually is usually consumed with turkey hunting

Memorial Day week: annual trip home to northern Minnesota and Ontario for smallmouth, walleyes, and pike. That trip also includes a day on each end to fish in Montana to break up the drive.

Early summer... hopefully at least a weekend dedicated to salmonflies

July-August: a week in Montana or Wyoming with friends from MN/WI

As someone relativeky new to the PNW, I really want to get over to the west side and fish for pinks. It should be a good learning experience for fishing those kind of rivers.

Fall: hopefully cohos in this area, keep trying to get a steelhead on a swung fly, and definitely need to do a better job of getting out during the October caddis hatch this year.

Assuming I stick to the plan, it should be a fun year!

ryan

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
I'll be out chasing bass but I really hope to get into a musky this year. Tried last year but never was successful. I still owe @clarkman a photo of one of his flies and a musky. We have a trip to Southern Idaho mid summer, so interested to see what that brings also.