Fishing related adventures you are looking forward to in 2023...

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Also, maybe fishing with people, instead of by myself šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
You know that when you go by yourself. You can come and go without waiting on anybody. Waiting on anything is one thing I hate to do. I drug my son with me one time and he would disappear every now and then. Then I would have to sit and twiddle my thumbs while I wait for him to reappear.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
You know that when you go by yourself. You can come and go without waiting on anybody. Waiting on anything is one thing I hate to do. I drug my son with me one time and he would disappear every now and then. Then I would have to sit and twiddle my thumbs while I wait for him to reappear.

Honestly, I prefer to fish alone, but it's the coming, going and camping at the river that I wouldn't mind having a fishing buddy for. Also the splitting of gas ;) .

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I was a young lad of about 21 years old. I would buy them outdoor rags and read about them people catching those fish in Wisconsin and Minnesota. I always wanted to try out that type of fishing. But then I bought a fly rod and forgot about those fish. I get lots of enjoyment catching trout. No matter what size they are, Plus you get to fish in a beautiful place. I just seem to drool in what I see outside.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This year I intend to catch every Oncorhynchus species in Washington. On the fly would be nice, but a little optimistic. (Iā€™d have to floss Sockeye on the Skagit if it even opened, and Kings on a fly are notoriously hard)

Iā€™m hoping to fish once a week, even through winter. Iā€™ll be doing a mix of S river Bull Trout, south sound Sea Runs, and monthly trips to the OP for Steelhead. Once the Skagit picks up Iā€™ll switch from targeting Bulls to Steel when I am not in the OP. In the OP, I am hoping to fish one river particularly hard, covering a ton of water, backpacking the trail named after the river, sleeping in the rainforest. A nice week long backpacking trip. I am very looking forward to Springer season. While I will spend May focussing on Skagit Springers and perhaps some Kalama river fish, Iā€™m hoping to do my next OP backpacking trip in June, starting with Springers at dawn, and switching to Cutthroat as the day gets longer. Hopefully we will wrap the day at a beach campground, and maybe catch some surf perch for dinner. Iā€™ll do some beach fishing for Pinks in August when I am not chasing Kings with meat fishing rigs, but I think I want to spend more time doing freshwater fly fishing. I know of a few nice Skagit River tribs that put out small fish, and offer great time in nature away from everything. September will be mostly devoted to Coho for me, but I will do my best to make time going after north/central sound Cutthroat as well. While I wonā€™t put too much time into it, I am determined to catch at least a few Pinks on the fly. End of September means it is time for me to switch to freshwater Coho and Cutthroat, who from what I have read can often be found in similar water. If water levels allow, Iā€˜ll make one last long OP trip. Targeting Fall Kings in the early morning, and switching to Cutthroat for the rest of the day (Or maybe even give Summer Steel a try). I probably will not be able to make it out for peak fall fishing, but Iā€™ll spend the rest of October and November doing a mix of Cutthroat, Coho, and Chum

Rvrfisher360

Floatinā€™
Forum Supporter
I am three weeks away from a week long golf/fishing from Bandon, OR, up to the Siletz and Tillamook area on the OR coast.

I've been to Bandon before, but this is the first time I've dedicated several days to exploring coastal Oregon rivers. Looking forward to some amazing golf and a couple solid days swinging.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This year I intend to catch every Oncorhynchus species in Washington. On the fly would be nice, but a little optimistic. (Iā€™d have to floss Sockeye on the Skagit if it even opened, and Kings on a fly are notoriously hard)

Iā€™m hoping to fish once a week, even through winter. Iā€™ll be doing a mix of S river Bull Trout, south sound Sea Runs, and monthly trips to the OP for Steelhead. Once the Skagit picks up Iā€™ll switch from targeting Bulls to Steel when I am not in the OP. In the OP, I am hoping to fish one river particularly hard, covering a ton of water, backpacking the trail named after the river, sleeping in the rainforest. A nice week long backpacking trip. I am very looking forward to Springer season. While I will spend May focussing on Skagit Springers and perhaps some Kalama river fish, Iā€™m hoping to do my next OP backpacking trip in June, starting with Springers at dawn, and switching to Cutthroat as the day gets longer. Hopefully we will wrap the day at a beach campground, and maybe catch some surf perch for dinner. Iā€™ll do some beach fishing for Pinks in August when I am not chasing Kings with meat fishing rigs, but I think I want to spend more time doing freshwater fly fishing. I know of a few nice Skagit River tribs that put out small fish, and offer great time in nature away from everything. September will be mostly devoted to Coho for me, but I will do my best to make time going after north/central sound Cutthroat as well. While I wonā€™t put too much time into it, I am determined to catch at least a few Pinks on the fly. End of September means it is time for me to switch to freshwater Coho and Cutthroat, who from what I have read can often be found in similar water. If water levels allow, Iā€˜ll make one last long OP trip. Targeting Fall Kings in the early morning, and switching to Cutthroat for the rest of the day (Or maybe even give Summer Steel a try). I probably will not be able to make it out for peak fall fishing, but Iā€™ll spend the rest of October and November doing a mix of Cutthroat, Coho, and Chum

Missing quite a few Oncorhynchus in WA, but good on you for a sweet plan! Wish I could get away for that much time!

I'll do my normal work/lunch break fishing now - March. E. WA "creeks" have been good to me.

Feb - March I'll probably float my Boat down the Yak a few times to see if I can find some fish feeding on Skwalas.

Once April hits, I'll look for both Bass in stillwater and trout as well, but completely different locations. I'm really hoping to do some stillwater stuff this year for trout at higher elevations, and some should be fishsble end of April...we'll see.

Starting June, I'll be hitting the local creeks/rivers, can't fricking wait for that. That will last through end of October.

In between June and October, hoping to be in shape enough to do a couple hikes with my float tube to some high lakes.

Fernie mid-August, which I am really looking forward too. Annual trip with 3 of my long time buddies. This will be our 4th trip to Fernie, and 13th annual trip (minus 1 due to covid).

When I get back, it will be harvest time, and I'll hit my local for an hour or so after work on days I can. Anything to get on the water.

Missing the saltwater, but with 3 kids and coaching multiple sports teams it's just not in the cards right now.

Looking forward to a great 2023!!!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have five days booked on the Green River early June, then to eastern Idaho playing it by ear currently, for anything that appeals to us. Decision time, as we have a friend who I went to school with in the Portland area threatening us if we donā€™t ā€œstopā€ to see her. So if we go then weā€™re committed to Washington also (whatā€™s another two weeks). On the way back Montana is in the way so why not. Last May/June she and I did an 8000+ mile trip out west and it was the most fun we had with our clothes on in 54 years.
May do a ā€œstand byā€ late season Patagonia 40% off trip this spring if the stars line up. If that doesnā€™t work thereā€™s always next year. Well, at 74 that may be up for discussion.
Iceland has been calling to me also, and she would like that.
Going back to Baja in September for these:
3EC86171-EC14-4E7B-A47C-C9E718DB747F.jpeg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
After a VERY disappointing 2022 fishing wise, I have higher hopes for 2023. The trip that I am most looking forward to is fishing for striped bass in September in Massachusetts. My brother and I will book a trip with guide Randy Sigler out of Marblehead. We cast flies right into the green frothy water around the rocks and the stripers smash the flies as we strip them back.
Striper4AIMG_7535.jpg
And I hope to do some fly fishing for stripers along the beaches of Cape Cod (thanks to several folks that have made suggestions on where and with whom). I might even see a great white!
I am also looking forward to several days chasing albacore with Nick and the gang: some trips in August and some in September (exotics too!!!). I hate the boat ride out, but it is such a unique environment. And you never know what you will see above and below the water.
MewithAlbacoreP9030038.jpg
Otherwise, I hope to snap back into my typical schedule of Eastern WA lakes in spring and Cascade lakes in summer (floating hoppers in Coldwater in August!!!).
HopperFFlyNatural319.jpg
And head to Idaho and Montana to fish tiny dry flies in the gloaming on several rivers there in mid-summer with old friends.
PoolBoss0210.jpg
Shoot, I'm even looking forward to breaking out my spey rod to try for steelhead on the much-maligned (but very productive) Cowlitz.
Steelhead3a.jpg
Here's to 2023!
Steve

Last edited:

MarshRat

Steelhead
Visiting home in August, and there is an alpine lake calling my name that should be fishing well. A quintessential North Cascades spot. Will be my first trout outing in 2 years.

Until then the redfish will keep me busy. Would also like to get some more snook off the beach somewhere in FL, and maybe even book my first tarpon trip.