Fishing along the Alcan Highway

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It was actually In The Year 2000 that we drove from South Cackalackee to Wyoming and MT and up through the Icefields Parkway (spectacular!) up to Alaska and around on most of their highways and then looped back on down through BC. That was some adventure. Looking back through the photos reminded me how we learned the subtleties of various types of terrible mosquitoes. Tiny black ones, big striped ones, little fast brown ones. Eating while walking around quickly with clouds following me.

We drove up to the Arctic Circle for the heck of it and because we were possibly as close as we would ever be, who knows right?
20866DDE-8F88-4F85-AF48-5563160F361B.jpeg

Lots of these-
314CA184-5FF0-4F09-913D-D55ED58395C5.jpeg

We found a lake with a lot of easy to catch trout and we were hungry
1EA0A734-4999-4454-A745-FF5D21422230.jpeg

We drove out to McCarthy and climbed around on the old mine and on glaciers.
209653E3-9D66-4E71-83C2-DCA19C788F5D.jpeg86112B72-182C-46EF-B736-B97B259AA10B.jpeg
Plenty of adventure was had C69EAAB3-4EC2-4D5C-8ADD-5FAEEE5A92F2.jpeg
That trip was also my first time to the PNW and I moved here a few years after

ABITNF

Steelhead
I lived in Whitehorse for 5 years. 10 months of winter and 2 months when dog mushing was tough. But good grayling then in the Morley and the Takhini. Also RBT in the Kathleen. Beautiful scenery. Blackflies. Mosquitos. Deerflies.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Take bug protection , lots of it. My memories of driving a short bit of the ALCAN is bugs, bugs and more bugs, with mosquitos worse than any east texas swamp....

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Take bug protection , lots of it. My memories of driving a short bit of the ALCAN is bugs, bugs and more bugs, with mosquitos worse than any east texas swamp....
Pray for wind when out and about. Certainly helps with the vast hordes of skeeters.

I started out from Anchorage on my bicycle with a supply of 'Deep Woods Off' insect repellant and soon found it was virtually worthless against the clouds of skeeters...and eventually found a small store along the way that had 100% DEET, which I slathered myself to the point I was covered with a sticky resident of repellant and road dust.

Absolutely the worst bugs I've ever experienced....at one point I stopped at campground and rented a tent site. The higher ground was reserved for RVs and they relegated tent campers to a swampy area next to river.

I found my campsite and started to unload....and soon decided it was simply not possible to breathe without sucking in mosquitoes, let alone set up a tent and cook.

Thankfully it was only about 6 PM so I loaded back up and pedaled another 5 hours (I'm a slow rider but faster than the skeeters) to another less bug infested campground, arriving in the far northern dusk of 11 PM.

ABITNF

Steelhead
I have a couple of Thermacell deterrent units. They work well on mosquitos but less so on other biting insects.
342501_MR300GCA_PROD_1_OLIVE.jpeg.jpg

Tom H

Just Hatched
We'll be right behind you Tatross. My wife and I have been planning a trip north with our truck camper for the last two years, and we can't wait to hit the road. Besides the Milepost, I bought an old copy of "The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide" by Gunnar Pendersen. It breaks down the State by region, time of year, species, and type of tackle.
We're going to take the Alcan up and the Cassiar Hwy back down. We also plan to drive the Dempster up to Tuktoyaktuk, Top of the World Hwy, and the Dalton Hwy to Dead Horse fishing every chance we get.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
We'll be right behind you Tatross. My wife and I have been planning a trip north with our truck camper for the last two years, and we can't wait to hit the road. Besides the Milepost, I bought an old copy of "The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide" by Gunnar Pendersen. It breaks down the State by region, time of year, species, and type of tackle.
We're going to take the Alcan up and the Cassiar Hwy back down. We also plan to drive the Dempster up to Tuktoyaktuk, Top of the World Hwy, and the Dalton Hwy to Dead Horse fishing every chance we get.
Where did you purchase your copy of The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide from?

Head net and broad brimmed hat to keep the mesh away from your face. Thin gloves to wear fishing. Thick wool or flannel shirts are a little more bug proof.
100 % DEET. A tire repair kit and small compressor. And more money.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I found it on Amazon for $24
Thanks, I went on The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide website and store and saw the following message:

NOTE: Due to high demand, the current edition of The Roadside Angler’s Guide is sold out. An updated and revised edition is in the works and will be available for the 2022 fishing season. Please check back and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Although I did not actually place an order, I was able to add a copy to the shopping cart.

Since it is now 2023, I would have thought they would have removed that note.

Tom H

Just Hatched
Thanks, I went on The Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide website and store and saw the following message:

NOTE: Due to high demand, the current edition of The Roadside Angler’s Guide is sold out. An updated and revised edition is in the works and will be available for the 2022 fishing season. Please check back and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Although I did not actually place an order, I was able to add a copy to the shopping cart.

Since it is now 2023, I would have thought they would have removed that note.
The copy I bought off Amazon was used {2007}. I couldn't find current issue either.

tatross

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Bruce,
Please let me know if you are able to track down that publication. Just the title sounds like it would be very useful.