Fishing 3 flies deep

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I really like to fish several flies. Often I think the lead fly(s) attract, as the point fly (last) get hit more often. I find multiple flies gets me more fish than when I fish them individually. Some days the top, or lead fly gets the fish. The middle less so. Usually I try to vary the flies, like a soft hackle up front, something different in the middle, and what I think will be best goes at the end on point. Some days I run a setup of just leeches or whatever to compare how they do, being sure to test on each dropper position.
20230517_type6triplet.jpg
Unless it's dead calm and I expect only small ones, I find a 9' 6wt that's not too fast is just great. My 9' 5' clearwater is really fast and doesn't fish as pleasantly for this, plus the tip rebound can tangle things. A 4wt is best kept at 2 flies if casting any distance.
20230519_fav.jpg
My favorite line for this is a type 6. This is a 444 rocket taper. Leader is 2' 20# Chameleon nail knotted, 2' 10#, ring, 1' 8# w/ 5" dropper, 3' 6# w/ 5" dropper, and 3' either 6# (less tangle prone) or 4# UG. New droppers can be added using a 4-5 turn uni-knot. Usually at about 2" I find they become less effective. The length ends up to be just right such that the nail knot is out of the tip when I can net a fish on the point fly. If you tangle cut off the flies and it usually then comes right out. Don't fling it about hoping it will undo itself.
20230519_leader.jpg
Been testing several leeches on different lakes with this method this spring and really like the ones I posted in the vice last night. I see I missed one barb, boo. Not sure which of us bent the hook.
20230519_wellused.jpg
I think I probably bent the mustad hook with my forceps, my bad, sorry dude. The method just catches fish
20230519_holdover.jpg
Don't try to fish here as the triathlon is tomorrow. I don't miss it at all, a couple hours fishing is more fun these days. Smoke from up north?
20230519_smoke.jpg

Attachments

• 20230517_tripleshot.jpg
    20230517_tripleshot.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I think I should go further with the title I gave it. I'll fish this method both to search and to located fish. To search I'll slowly troll, raising the rod tip to bring all the flies up, hold for a bit, then lower the tip to give a pause (not too slack or you'll miss the hit of the followers), or strip and release, or just gently move the tip. Occasionally it's as fast as I can comfortably kick AND strip. A static line troll doesn't work as well for me. Once fish are located I'll cast and count down until I find the best depth. Sometimes a slow short strip, some days a kick and fast pull, pause, or usually somewhere in between. I'll even change up during a retrieve. At some point I find what's best. Usually doesn't take long with 3 flies out there.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thank you. I'll give this a shot. Never fly fished lakes before this year, and haven't had the best sucess. Finally bought some sink tip line and such, which I have yet to try out. Guessing that will pay dividends compared to the shallow depths I'm getting on my float line with some split shot.

The tangles get to me on multiple fly setups lol. I've never liked cords, ropes, tangles. Often wonder why I've chosen this hobby lol.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thank you. I'll give this a shot. Never fly fished lakes before this year, and haven't had the best sucess. Finally bought some sink tip line and such, which I have yet to try out. Guessing that will pay dividends compared to the shallow depths I'm getting on my float line with some split shot.

The tangles get to me on multiple fly setups lol. I've never liked cords, ropes, tangles. Often wonder why I've chosen this hobby lol.
A good way to get started is to use 2 flies. The first fly should not be too far from the end of the taper of your leader, I like about a foot. There double surgeons knot on an additinal 30" of tippet. Your "down" tag from the main leader should be about 3-5". Longer is prone to loop knots forming about an inch from the original knot.
I fish this method with a sink tip when the lake is shallower or the fish are focused in the top 5' feet.

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thank you. I'll toy around with it this week. Planning on hitting the local lake to play with my new lake fishing toys.