First Time Visit - Enchantments

Made my first visit to the Enchantments and into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness last Friday. Packed my Wilderness Ultralite Float Tube and took a day trip into a well-known lake. Surprisingly, I picked a good day as I didn’t encounter any other hikers on the way up and just two groups on the way down and just a few backpackers at the lake itself and I was the only individual fishing from what I could see, or at least I was the only on the water for most of the day, there could have been a few people fishing from shore but I never got to close to them once I was on the water. I considered myself very fortunate and really appreciated the unexpected solitude. It is a bit of hike to get into the lake, but nothing too strenuous.

I did enjoy the cloud covered skies and it even rained a bit for an hour or so mid-morning. Unexpected but it was a pleasant surprise, helped keep it cool and I am sure it helped with the fishing. Beautiful country, saw some grouse on the hike back down and tried to take some pics/video of them with my GoPro the pics didn’t turn out well.

I am a bit conflicted when it comes to posting reports, especially when it comes to smaller and less known destinations. However, I enjoy reading others reports and those reports have been beneficial to me in discovering new water to explore and enjoy, so hopefully others that are willing to do a little research or already know about this lake can benefit. The pictures make it obvious to those that have been there, so my attitude is “When you know, you know” 😊.

Scenery_1.jpg

Scenery_2.jpgScenery_3.jpg

The reason why I fished this lake was to catch a species of fish that I have not caught on the fly yet. Unfortunately, I was unable to catch that fish but ended up catching some nice Westslopes, which I knew where in the lake but was again pleasantly surprised on the quality. Awesome bycatch!

Cuttie_1.jpg
Cuttie_2.jpgCuttie_3.jpgCuttie_4.jpg

The species I was after are more commonly known to be deeper in the water column and are more piscivore, so I was fishing a heavy sinking line with big white buggers and heavy streamers. The cutties would hit as I moved up from the depths and they didn’t mind hitting the big flies, especially in the upper few feet of the water column and when stripped in quickly.

I would recommend the Wilderness Ultralite Float Tube - perfect for these types of trips.

Overall it was ended up being a terrific day and even though I didn’t get my targeted species, the hike and a dozen of these cutties made the trip worthwhile.

Peach

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
+1 for the Wilderness lite. It's been my companion almost every friday this summer in the cascades. If the trail isn't brushy I leave it partially inflated and simply strap it over my frame pack.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
+1 for the Wilderness lite. It's been my companion almost every friday this summer in the cascades. If the trail isn't brushy I leave it partially inflated and simply strap it over my frame pack.
I will have to try that. Not too bad inflating the tube, it inflates farily quickly, but it does take alot of time to deflate, probably easier to strap it on like this in times when I need to start the hike down the trail when I end up fishing longer than I am supposed to. Tough to leave when the fising is good :).

Peach

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
The Wilderness Lite fits perfectly over a frame back if you turn it upside down and strap it on. See pics below.
About the only negative thing I can say about the Wilderness lite is that after several years the plastic valves can get stuck in to on or off position and then they need to be replaced.

94A30EC0-83D2-49FD-8A78-E016D1DC8235_1_105_c.jpeg
A4428794-E8B4-4020-BAF0-ACE982A6EF92_1_105_c.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 9.32.34 AM.png

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics.

BTW - I had the same issue with the valve as well on this trip, the value on the back rest bladder was turned on the off position. Luckily, I did bring my Leatherman (pliers) and had to gently twist the valve to shut it. Dissappointing since this was only the second time I used it and third time inflating the tube. Hope it doesn't become an issue moving forward. Good to know that this is known issue with the tube.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics.

BTW - I had the same issue with the valve as well on this trip, the value on the back rest bladder was turned on the off position. Luckily, I did bring my Leatherman (pliers) and had to gently twist the valve to shut it. Dissappointing since this was only the second time I used it and third time inflating the tube. Hope it doesn't become an issue moving forward. Good to know that this is known issue with the tube.
Just make sure you don’t rotate the tube too far when inflating or deflating. Also don’t push the pump too hard into the valve when you are inflating.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Pretty sure Phil at wilderness lite can provide a replacement valve if your valve wears out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

underachiever

Freshly Spawned
Nice looking fish you got there. We did a couple nights in the Enchantments in July and I was able to get into quite a few good size fish while bank fishing. I just got a Wilderness Ultralite earlier this week and will be taking it into the Mt Jefferson wilderness area Monday and Tuesday of next week.

jeradjames

Steelhead
Good looking fish! I've been thinking of getting that float tube recently and may have to now. I was up in that general area yesterday and landed a bunch of Eastern Brook Trout.