First springer of the season

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Treated a friend to to a day of springer fishing on Saturday are repayment for wiring the electricals in my new pump house. It felt like early days in the season as I heard opening day last Monday was really good but slim pickens since. We managed to land three on floats on the move, all in faster transitional water, none in the well known 'springer holes' despite soaking divers and back bouncing those spots where possible. Two of the three were natives that were released unharmed. I gave the one clipped fish, a smaller football shaped buck, to my friend to take home to his wife.

It was cool but not cold, overcast and the first day on the river in a looong time that I did not need my rain hat. I can remember when I would have been pleased to get three bites instead instead of three fish so have to check my 'slow fishing' baseline and appreciate every day on the river.

Since it was the first time out for springers and I really wanted to get my friend a fish, I didn't use my new Niagara Drifter, a 2X multiplier centerpin reel with a mild drag. I'll be getting that one out this upcoming weekend.

Soon to be dinner...
IMG_3375 2.JPG

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Congrats - that sounded like a good day! I also picked up my first springer of the season last week. I like trying to put a couple in the freezer before I start fly fishing for them where my success rate drops dramatically.

nestuccamay23firstspringer.jpg

nestuccamay23filet.jpg

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Yeah, that’s my plan too. The pressure really drops on my home water in late June and goers to nothing when bait closes in mid-July. That’s when I’ll focus on trying to get one to bite a fly. Someday it’ll happen!

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We have found when it comes to fly fishing, springers aren't nearly as grabby as fall chinook. For us, the key to success is to just put in lots and lots and LOTS of time. This is not my image but here’s a really nice wild fish from 2021.

joesuguraspringer.jpg

Last edited:

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Let’s go! I’ll row and learn from the master.
LOL. Any time!

Taking my daughter tomorrow before she heads to the northeast this summer for law school. After that, I plan to hit it most every weekend. Just bought a shrimp gun and scoped out some spots so we’ll have fresh bait as much as possible Since that seems to be the key.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
LOL. Any time!

Taking my daughter tomorrow before she heads to the northeast this summer for law school. After that, I plan to hit it most every weekend. Just bought a shrimp gun and scoped out some spots so we’ll have fresh bait as much as possible Since that seems to be the key.
Just tell me when

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
My daughter is headed to Vermont later this summer for law school to study environmental law and this was probably her last chance to go fishing with me for a good while. So when my friend Ryan who guides out here and is a savant when it comes to springers had a cancellation, I jumped on it.

The morning was really nice, cool/calm, and we picked up a few fish on floats. One violent hit on a diver but it didn’t stick. Once the sun cleared the trees, it got really tough and then the wind rose and conditions were brutal - hot as hell with a strong wind. Fishing with my kids is always awesome even if the fishing was a little slower than hoped. Plus, I invariable learn something new about fishing for springers from Ryan so an excellent day overall.

Quick snap below. @Evan B and @Josh note the hat…

IMG_3408.jpeg