First Place Swap

Either way... I didn't intend to take your pick. Sorry 'bout that. If you're happy, it's a deal. [Edit: now I see it is on the list up top. My bad.]
I usually punish such transgressions with 10 lashes of mop chenille but since this your first time I'll forgo any corporal punishment and just give you a STERN warning!;)

Kim

BTW, you are in and most welcome to the swap!

I just realized that you may not know who this host is (I DID show my old picture under my old handle, without the "1" at the end) so I'll dust off that old picture again. I was a BSA leader at the local and national level and was giving a tying at a district event when this shot was taken. I believe It was in the basement of the Fairmount Community Church here in Camillus and MANY years ago!

ScoutsFlyTying.JPG
I'm the big, ugly bearded one and I was tying on a homemade wooden clothespin vise (my back-up is on the table in front of my pattern binder and bucktails). The vise design is not my own but one from an old site buddy of mine from FAOL (and fellow author), Ed Engelman from down Binghamton, NY way (what we in CENTRAL NY call the Southern tier.). I have shaved the beard and lost over 100 pounds since then. Who knew that the silver in that beard weighed so much! :rolleyes: The one thing I learned from this picture is, if you want to be the center of attention - tie a fly!

Now you know who you are tying with! If you see a guy like this walking down the street, offer him a beer and we can exchange fish stories.

Kim

BTW, these kids in this picture have kids of their own by now!

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great photo! I also was a Scout leader at the unit level when the BSA introduced the Fly Fishing Merit Badge. Before that, our troop had gone fishing on the traditional opener at a lake in the foothills of the Blue Mountains in Washington. I would always fly fish and some of the scouts were interested. Taught several of them how to catch the stockers on a fly rod. My son was the first one in the unit to earn the Fly Fishing Merit Badge, but I made him work for it and work with another counselor to earn the badge. No longer involved in Scouting, but many fond memories.

I to, was one of the first in what was then known as the Hiawatha-Seaway Council (now the Longhouse Council). I had the pleasure of working as a den leader all the way to being on the National Camp School Faculty and every level in between! With my health issues (got a kidney transplant almost 9 years ago) I too am no longer involved. Being retired and NOT wanting my face on the post office walls, I keep myself busy hosting fly swaps, tying flies to support various not for profits (Casting for Recovery's Stage 4 outings this year) and writing my new book (I was last published in '89) is trying to help keep me busy enough to reach that goal! As my lady friend says - I'm a trouble maker so I have my hands full!! ;)

Kim

Just a reminder. This swap has 7 members so it IS A GO AND there is room for 5 more tyers to join in! Registration closes on January 5th so sign-up soon if you'd like to show off your skills in tying a fly pattern from Blue Ribbon Flies!

As always, if you have a question or concern just drop me a line - I'll be most happy to help you out!

Kim

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm going with a not so common one. Lucky Bucky 6.
That thing is cool lookin'. Fun tp poke around on their website and see alll the different softies they offer. My son fishes the fall runners, and I tied him some Shakey Beeleys that he used to good effect.

Question for the group: Best way to mail flies?

The P.O. gets poed when you put a box or tin or anything thick in an envelope. Costs extra for hanfle cancelling I guess. Is there an economical way to send a few flies without paying $5-$7?

Last edited:
No reliable way I've heard of in the past 14 years of hosting. I do provide a fly tying gift or two to help off-set some of the cost of postage, if that helps.

Were you planning on joining in the fun? Let me know.

Kim

flybill

Life of the Party
Put in a small fly bin you get when buying flies at a shop and then use a small padded envelope. Put a label and enough postage or money to mail everything back.. easy as pie!!FB_IMG_1702858706017.jpg

Should I tie these bacon flies up? Maybe for another swap!! 😆

flybill

Life of the Party
Going to tie a Bakers Hole Soft Hackle! We're up to 7 now.. gotta get my stuff good to go! Will plan on tying a dozen at least! Cheers and Merry Festivus!!bakers-hole-soft-hackle.jpg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
That thing is cool lookin'. Fun tp poke around on their website and see alll the different softies they offer. My son fishes the fall runners, and I tied him some Shakey Beeleys that he used to good effect.

Question for the group: Best way to mail flies?

The P.O. gets poed when you put a box or tin or anything thick in an envelope. Costs extra for hanfle cancelling I guess. Is there an economical way to send a few flies without paying $5-$7?
$5 and some change is the lowest I have seen 1 way, then you need the same postage self addressed stamped for the trip back. Figure your in it for 12$ shipping.

flybill

Life of the Party
No reliable way I've heard of in the past 14 years of hosting. I do provide a fly tying gift or two to help off-set some of the cost of postage, if that helps.

Were you planning on joining in the fun? Let me know.

Kim
You're tying one fly, and getting 6 additional flies to fish! Or more if anyone else signs up! As far as offsetting postage, it shouldn't be even $5.. I sent some feathers out recently, put 6 stamps on it, in a manila envelope and it got there in 2 days.. Probably could have put only 4 stamps on it and it would have been fine. Just stopped at the crazy Redmond post office.. where the line was like 3 miles long and put it in the drop box!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
For some stupid reason USPS self print shipping labels can only be used the day you print them. This makes the self addressed stamped envelope more difficult. I have had to just buy a series of $5/$1/.29 and .01 cent stamps to equal the estimated return shipping. Each swap I have sent out so far has been a little under 2oz for the flies, altoids tin, and 2 Manila envelopes. I just round up to 2oz shipping cost.

Maybe pirate ship has a better self addressed stamped return shipping option.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Still time to register for the swap, registration closes on Friday, January 5th at the end of the day.
The swap IS a go and there are still openings left. Flies are due by the 31st.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the 4th New Years swap that I am am hosting this year and the other three are looking mighty fine - they all have a flies in date of Jan 10th so I have over half their flies in already! We have until this Friday to still register for this swap to bring in this New Year, feel free to join in the fun! Start off the new year on the right foot!

Kim

And to all, whether you join in the swap or not - may you and your families all have a very safe and prosperous New Year!

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
I'm in with Craig Matthews' "Zelon Midge."

(edit - "Zelon," not "Zebra:" Didn't catch the auto-correct thingy.... And, FWIW, I'm familiar with how swaps "should" be run. Lookn' forward to this one.)

Last edited:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Registration for this swap is now CLOSED. We have a nice total of 8 members (+ yours truly!)
This means that all of you will tie 8 flies of your chosen pattern and send them to me by Jan 31.

I will PM my mailing address to you all today and PLEASE remember, if you have any questions
I am here to help you out so that this swap is a good experience for you all! I look forward to
seeing your fine ties. Good luck. Again, if you run into ANY problems PLEASE keep me informed!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kim