NFR First new TV in 15 years.... dang!

Non-fishing related

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
the Hisense ULED's at Costco are excellent for the price, have their 55" models in the bedrooms. Very fast OS...
I heard really good things about those…and really bad things about their quality control and customer service.

If you get a good one, they are supposed to be an awesome value.

RCF

Life of the Party
Picked up new TVs for both living rooms last year and went to Video Only in person. Well, in-person certainly is an experience... one that'll make you spend more money.

Don't do a side-by-side with an OLED if you aren't ready to bust out your wallet. But ordering a QLED online? You'll be 100% happy with it and should probably go that route :LOL:

At least I got a lot more credit card points out of it
I like Video Only. I have found their prices to be very, very competitive. Just realize that the pictures are turned up to brightest level and will not be at that level when at home.

Looking forward to new technologies, capabilities and a better picture. I am tired of old technology and it's limitations.

Next TV will probably be my last purchase. It will outlast me...

JudyM

Steelhead
Bought a 55" LG at Costco during the Black Friday Sale. It replaced my 37" JVC that I bought at Costco 15 years ago that was a closeout. Dang TV quit turning on, so had to replace it. Added the Roku Ultra to the LG and I am a happy camper. Cable went bye-bye.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I like Video Only. I have found their prices to be very, very competitive.
That's what their #$%@ing "you'll be sorry" radio commercials have been telling us for..... 30 years now?

Hell, even the Shane Company eventually changed their radio stuff. But we've still got that couple talking about buying new TVs at the "big box stores" that have refrigerators and microwave ovens. THAT SHIT WONT FLY AT VIDEO ONLY, FRIENDS

RCF

Life of the Party
That's what their #$%@ing "you'll be sorry" radio commercials have been telling us for..... 30 years now?

Hell, even the Shane Company eventually changed their radio stuff. But we've still got that couple talking about buying new TVs at the "big box stores" that have refrigerators and microwave ovens. THAT SHIT WONT FLY AT VIDEO ONLY, FRIENDS

I look at the bottom line ---> what flows out of my bank account. If/when they are higher priced I tell them. I walk out if they are not the cheapest. Amazing what they will do to not lose a sale. A lost sale is a no sale. Same as buying a car ---> same product for less at other places. They Will negotiate.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I look at the bottom line ---> what flows out of my bank account. If/when they are higher priced I tell them. I walk out if they are not the cheapest. Amazing what they will do to not lose a sale. A lost sale is a no sale. Same as buying a car ---> same product for less at other places. They Will negotiate.
Oh, to be clear, I have nothing against Video Only. Multiple people have told me that they had a good experience and got a solid deal there.

I just think it's funny that we've been listening to a version of the exact same commercial from them on the radio for decades.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Oh, to be clear, I have nothing against Video Only. Multiple people have told me that they had a good experience and got a solid deal there.

I just think it's funny that we've been listening to a version of the exact same commercial from them on the radio for decades.

You remember that commercial and all of the content, though, so I guess repetition works.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Josh, about your new TV, does it run through your sound system (radio/home stereo), or is it a "free-standing" system of its own, with the sound bar? Reason I ask is because I like to play my TV through my stereo sound system in order to have the best quality sound. Sorry to make this short story long, but about a year before Covid, Comcast dropped the Prime channel, so I had to buy a Firestick from Amazon, and the Firestick plugs directly into the back of my TV at HDMI 2, whereas the stereo receiver plugs in a HDMI 1. So when I watch something on Prime, it circumvents my stereo receiver. The only sound I get is from the sound bar which is plugged into the back of the TV, bypassing the main stereo speakers and sub-woofer. So anything I watch on Prime comes with a comparatively shitty sound quality.

So I'm considering a total audio and video system upgrade, which made me curious about how your new system works.

EB590

Steelhead
I'm no expert but I plug my soundbar into the hdmi arc port. When I do that sound will play through the soundbar even when I'm on a roku that is plugged into another hdmi.

If your stereo receiver and TV have optical ports that should work too.

I could be wrong on all of this, I'm not very smart with technology.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I could be wrong on all of this, I'm not very smart with technology.
Captures my tech level perfectly. I plug my sound bar into the sound bar port. It only fits one place. And the Firestick only fits in an HDMI port. I tried plugging it into the receiver, but that didn't work.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You remember that commercial and all of the content, though, so I guess repetition works.

I mean, that's a fair point. But then again did it actually work?

Anything repeated long enough will eventually worm its way into your long term memory. I've never purchased a TV from Video Only, a ring from Shane Company, an appliance from Jack Roberts, or a car from Cal Worthington despite all of them running memorable commercials for years in the PNW.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Josh, about your new TV, does it run through your sound system (radio/home stereo), or is it a "free-standing" system of its own, with the sound bar? Reason I ask is because I like to play my TV through my stereo sound system in order to have the best quality sound. Sorry to make this short story long, but about a year before Covid, Comcast dropped the Prime channel, so I had to buy a Firestick from Amazon, and the Firestick plugs directly into the back of my TV at HDMI 2, whereas the stereo receiver plugs in a HDMI 1. So when I watch something on Prime, it circumvents my stereo receiver. The only sound I get is from the sound bar which is plugged into the back of the TV, bypassing the main stereo speakers and sub-woofer. So anything I watch on Prime comes with a comparatively shitty sound quality.

So I'm considering a total audio and video system upgrade, which made me curious about how your new system works.
So I've got the soundbar plugged into the ARC/eARC port (which looks just like an HDMI port):

Then I set the TV to run audio out the ARC/eARC. As far as I know, anything plugged into the HDMI inputs will come out the soundbar. I have an AppleTV plugged into HDMI 1 and it uses the soundbar perfectly.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
So I've got the soundbar plugged into the ARC/eARC port (which looks just like an HDMI port):

Then I set the TV to run audio out the ARC/eARC. As far as I know, anything plugged into the HDMI inputs will come out the soundbar. I have an AppleTV plugged into HDMI 1 and it uses the soundbar perfectly.
The ARC technology is awesome but I have found it to be fussy on my two set ups. Sometimes the tv doesn’t seem to “detect” the sound bar via the ARC connection. I have swapped out hdmi cables and that seems to help but sometimes I still am pulling my hair out trying to get sound out of the sound bar.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

My solution is never really having listened to the radio.. Except for like two Hawks games over the last few years.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks Josh. Unfortunately I didn't understand a single thing you wrote other than HDMI 1.

I think a main difference is that I get TV signal from Comcast cable through my stereo receiver which then uses my flat screen TV as a dummy monitor, but the Prime Firestick (plugged into HDMI 2 on the flatscreen) probably thinks the TV is the real deal whole shootin' match. To put this in perspective, I hire a dweeb to come program my remote, and even they don't get it right, or maybe the system just won't get it right.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On a side note. A friend purchased a "cheater box" and cancelled his cable bill, he gets just about every channel and streaming service available thru his new box.
He only needs his wifi signal.
I ordered a box and it arrives next week.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A word of caution here on HDMI cables: When I bought my new TCL earlier this year I hooked it up with an old HDMI cable and the picture was definitely not good. At first I feared that I had a faulty TV but doing some research discovered that the old cable would not carry the signal of the new TV. I ordered the latest and greatest new HDMI cable and bingo-Hi Def TV! The fix was about $10

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
A word of caution here on HDMI cables: When I bought my new TCL earlier this year I hooked it up with an old HDMI cable and the picture was definitely not good. At first I feared that I had a faulty TV but doing some research discovered that the old cable would not carry the signal of the new TV. I ordered the latest and greatest new HDMI cable and bingo-Hi Def TV! The fix was about $10
This.

Can't emphasize enough the importance of good cables.

As the I.T. Administrator, I'm also responsible for all the various A/V setups at work.

Over short distances of up to 50', we rely on HDMI cables to carry 4K signals of up to 120Hz. Over longer distances, we use the HDBaseT standard, but that's a whole other story.

To cut to the chase, if you want to ensure the best possible performance out of your post-2021 4K/8K TVs, and you need to connect to sources that require high transmission rates, get cables that are rated HDMI 2.1 or above, with Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed (almost a necessity if you have a high-end gaming system) category ratings - this will somewhat future-proof your transmission setup.

Have fun,
Kenneth

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
My wife reminded me that the first few years of our marriage, our TV's came from my grandfather. Every time he would replace a TV we got his "hand me down" On occasion he'd ask for his TV back, and would give us a newer one. He loved College Football, and would have multiple games going at a time in his house, kind of like going to a sports bar in Vegas.

One night after Grandpa passed away, and things settled down Robyn and I were watching TV when it decided to go out. We looked at each other and realized, we were going to have to buy a new TV ourselves. :D

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
On a side note. A friend purchased a "cheater box" and cancelled his cable bill, he gets just about every channel and streaming service available thru his new box.
He only needs his wifi signal.
I ordered a box and it arrives next week.
Our wifi signal comes out of a box hooked to the Comcast cable. How do you get wifi to hook the cheater box to?