First Hike With the Boy - "Hopeless Lake"

Took the oldest on his first backpacking trip last weekend. He's 10, so felt like it was time to get him up into the woods (a bit over due if im being honest). He'd done a few day hikes before, but nothing overnight. So i was wanting to do something relatively short, but with a pretty good shot at good fishing. Hit up a lake off the PCT. Was a short hike, but relatively steep. A buddy and I brought our boys.

First day went great. Hike went off without any issues, got to the lake and had it to ourselves, which was a bit surprising considering it was essentially on the PCT.
Hike was about a mile and a half with 1600 feet of elevation. Got camp setup and started fishing.
20230625_073329.jpg
First cast, wee man hooks into a nice little bookie. This lake has a self-sustaining population of bookies from when it was planted way back in the 30s. They fight well for their size, and are everything you want from a high mountain lake brookie. We caught fish at will that night. Even though the fish were sporadically rising, I had no luck on the dry. Little black glass bead bugger did the trick though. Pretty much non stop action for our group. Kids were having a blast.

20230624_201737.jpg
Day started winding down, so we cooked up our dinner and put the kids to bed. Sun started going down and A bank of fog rolled in as the sun set, was serene watching the stars come up and the fog roll by.

20230624_232458.jpg

Next morning we fished for a while and the boys explored the lake. There was some snow still, which they loved (we made slushies with some sugar syrup we brought) and they had a blast finding frogs, fishing and checking the area out.
20230625_114556.jpg
20230625_103512.jpg

There is another lake not far from there we spotted when we were out checking things out. We decided we'd get packed up and make a quick trip to this other lake to check it out.
20230625_133326.jpg
This lake was pretty epic. It was unnamed on the .ap. so the boys named it "hopeless", to deter others from visiting...very smart. Was a very shallow heart shaped lake with some deep holes. Gorgeous little mountain brookies were stacked up in the deep holes. We'd get followers pretty much every cast, with hookups happening quite regularly.
20230625_133624.jpg
Wasn't until we had decided to start heading back down that we discovered the other end of the lake was a big deep hole and there were some 16"-18" brookies hanging around that area. If you zoom in you'll see one of the bigger brookies we were seeing as time was winding down.
20230625_142602.jpg

Wasn't in the cards to hike down and get to the bigger brookies....had to head out and hit the trail back home. I'll be back though.

All in all, great trip. The hike out went well, and the boys all had a blast. He did a little fly fishing, a little spinner fishing and he got to check all three of the things he wanted to accomplish off his list (clean his catch, cook and eat his catch and poop in the woods....)

Looking forward to spending more time in the woods with my boy.

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Very cool.
One of my fondest fishing memories as a kid was fishing in a shallow high mountain lake for bookies. Weather was bad, but it a blast sighting and catching.

Hope to be doing this soon with my 7 year old grandson.
Got him hooked on fishing, but he's worried about bear attacks for camping lol. It's a 50/50 shot if we get attacked he says haha

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Your story reminded me when I used to take my son out hiking and camping when he was a boy. He’s in his mid 20’s now and loves to hike and camp with his friends. Most likely your son will do this in his future.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Very cool.
One of my fondest fishing memories as a kid was fishing in a shallow high mountain lake for bookies. Weather was bad, but it a blast sighting and catching.

Hope to be doing this soon with my 7 year old grandson.
Got him hooked on fishing, but he's worried about bear attacks for camping lol. It's a 50/50 shot if we get attacked he says haha
Sighting the fish definitely makes it way more action packed. We were spotting them on a flat between two of the buckets cruising. Kids were dialed in. Way more than when they were blind casting.

20230625_141038.jpg

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
A terrific outing. Brookies and kids go well together and that hike is just long enough to be a hike without being too difficult. Know that lake well. Caught this fish from the shore at that lake without getting my feet wet. It was cruising off the shore at my launch site in about a foot of water and took a wet fly.
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 3.11.23 PM.png
If you wander a little up the trail from those lakes you come to a lake with rainbows...
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 3.07.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 3.08.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
A terrific outing. Brookies and kids go well together and that hike is just long enough to be a hike without being too difficult. Know that lake well. Caught this fish from the shore at that lake without getting my feet wet. It was cruising off the shore at my launch site in about a foot of water and took a wet fly.
View attachment 71021
If you wander a little up the trail from those lakes you come to a lake with rainbows...
View attachment 71019
View attachment 71020
Maybe that lake we went to has a name, maybe not (if it does, I'd be more than happy to hear the name in a PM). The kids name it "hopeless", based a little bit off where we stayed, but they wanted to create a greenland/Iceland situation. I appreciated that level of deep thought from a group of 3 boys between 7 and 10 years old.

We thought about heading up to that next lake. It wasn't in the cards though due to some time constraints. I'll be back though. Too close and too cool to not go back a few more times.