First hike-in seep lake outing of the year for me 3/9/2023

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been out of action for the past 5 weeks due to dealing with kidney stones and associated surgery. Just hope you never get kidney stones... Never knew one could get so many tubes, cameras and tools stuck up one of a man's most sensitive private parts.

I wasn't able to do any exercising over this past month, so I got out of shape quickly. I thought I'd try one of the hike-in seep lakes in central WA just to test out my endurance and to see just how badly out of shape I was. Fortunately, I made it in to the lake and back out without needing to call for medical support. Somehow, that trail gets longer and longer each year, and mysteriously, it is also uphill both ways.

The fishing was tough, probably due to very murky water. The water temperature was ok, in the 45 to 46 degree range. But the fish gods were merciful to this recovering pilgrim, and I was able to land and release 8 fish in the 12 to 19 inch range:

Fish Size Distribution Chart 2023-03-09.jpg

Most were nice rainbows, like this one:

IMGP5833.JPG

But, one was a skinny Tiger trout:

IMGP5834.JPG

I was casting and stripping, as I usually do, and most of the fish took this #10 Muskrat Nymph:

Muskrat Nymph.jpg

A Muskrat Nymph is an older fly pattern that is just a generic, all-purpose nymph pattern that can imitate a wide variety of insects, depending on how it is retrieved. On yesterday's outing, I was trying to imitate a damselfly nymph, as I know this lake has a lot of damselflies. But I don't know that the fly pattern was anything special, as I think I was just at the right spot at the right time (near sunset) when the fish went on the bite, as they sure weren't biting for most of the day.

Anyway, it was so nice to be back on the water after being out of action for over a month. I enjoyed seeing a flock of snow geese (maybe 1,000?) in the fields along I-90. Near the lake I also saw a huge flock of cackling geese (maybe 10,000?). At the lake I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a mink, maybe an escapee from a mink farm? The muskrats don't stand a chance against that mink. I didn't see any sandhill cranes, but I heard some, so they are starting to migrate thru.

Rex

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Reminds me of the kidney stone scene in Deadwood, I wouldn't wish kidney stones on my worst enemy, glad your past that ordeal. And had a good day fishing also!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Rex - How is it that the hike is uphill both ways? And so much longer on the way out? Glad you were able to get out and find some fish!!

RCF

Life of the Party
@Starman77 - as a re-occurring recipient of Kidney Stones I totally understand your pain. Last year I had to give up several weeks of fishing because of them.

It is great to see you are getting better and I look forward to your future trip reports.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been out of action for the past 5 weeks due to dealing with kidney stones and associated surgery. Just hope you never get kidney stones... Never knew one could get so many tubes, cameras and tools stuck up one of a man's most sensitive private parts.

I wasn't able to do any exercising over this past month, so I got out of shape quickly. I thought I'd try one of the hike-in seep lakes in central WA just to test out my endurance and to see just how badly out of shape I was. Fortunately, I made it in to the lake and back out without needing to call for medical support. Somehow, that trail gets longer and longer each year, and mysteriously, it is also uphill both ways.

The fishing was tough, probably due to very murky water. The water temperature was ok, in the 45 to 46 degree range. But the fish gods were merciful to this recovering pilgrim, and I was able to land and release 8 fish in the 12 to 19 inch range:

View attachment 57290

View attachment 57291

View attachment 57292

I was casting and stripping, as I usually do, and most of the fish took this #10 Muskrat Nymph:

View attachment 57295

A Muskrat Nymph is an older fly pattern that is just a generic, all-purpose nymph pattern that can imitate a wide variety of insects, depending on how it is retrieved. On yesterday's outing, I was trying to imitate a damselfly nymph, as I know this lake has a lot of damselflies. But I don't know that the fly pattern was anything special, as I think I was just at the right spot at the right time (near sunset) when the fish went on the bite, as they sure weren't biting for most of the day.

Anyway, it was so nice to be back on the water after being out of action for over a month. I enjoyed seeing a flock of snow geese (maybe 1,000?) in the fields along I-90. Near the lake I also saw a huge flock of cackling geese (maybe 10,000?). At the lake I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a mink, maybe an escapee from a mink farm? The muskrats don't stand a chance against that mink. I didn't see any sandhill cranes, but I heard some, so they are starting to migrate thru.

Rex
“ Somehow, that trail gets longer and longer each year, and mysteriously, it is also uphill both ways.”

Sounds like McManus Lake or one he wrote about.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I feel for you Rex. I hate kidney stones, and I hope you have the worst of it behind you.

It must have felt great to get out fishing after going through that!

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Glad you’re back fishing again Rex! Sucks getting old eh?
The CT scan also found lesions on my liver, so I've also had ultrasound scans and an MRI, and have been referred to a gastroenterologist for further evaluation and testing. Guess I'm doing my part to provide revenue for the medical professions...

cdnred

Life of the Party
@Starman77 - Great to hear that you recovered and got to enjoy the outdoors once again. I've never had kidney stones but from what I've heard they are quite painful to endure. I've heard that there's a procedure whereby the doctor is able to pulverize the stones to make passing them much easier..

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Those CT scans are amazing! It found an aortic aneurysm and has been fixed. Definitely a life saver...
An anual echocardiogram caught mine. Did you get valve sparing, or a new valve also? I had an aortic aneurysm 7 years ago and had a valve sparing aortic root replacement. In about 2% of the cases the valve repair doesn't last, so about 3 months ago I had a mechanical valve put in. I hope I'm done, 2 open hearts and I'm not even 40 yet.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
The CT scan also found lesions on my liver, so I've also had ultrasound scans and an MRI, and have been referred to a gastroenterologist for further evaluation and testing. Guess I'm doing my part to provide revenue for the medical professions...
CT scan of my chest for a pulmonary embolism caught just the top part of a huge abces in my abdomen that had to he removed. They are very handy at finding new surprises.

RCF

Life of the Party
An anual echocardiogram caught mine. Did you get valve sparing, or a new valve also? I had an aortic aneurysm 7 years ago and had a valve sparing aortic root replacement. In about 2% of the cases the valve repair doesn't last, so about 3 months ago I had a mechanical valve put in. I hope I'm done, 2 open hearts and I'm not even 40 yet.

My aneurism was where the aorta splits into the two femoral arteries (one for each leg) in the lower abdomen. They implanted several stents via the femoral artery in my groin.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
My aneurism was where the aorta splits into the two femoral arteries (one for each leg) in the lower abdomen. They implanted several stents via the femoral artery in my groin.
Oh yea, I'm worried about that area too, the same genetics can cause aneurysm there also. At least I don't have kidney stones..

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

View attachment 57290

View attachment 57291

View attachment 57292

View attachment 57295

Rex