First fish of 2024

Replicant

Steelhead
Ah, you must’ve been using that old Airflo Beach line that was designed for sea run cuties.

View attachment 98352
This reminds me of a friend who used to work fro ExOfficio back in the day. She had line sheets printed out for a clothing show to promote their 'Buzz-Off' feature that was supposed to state, "Repels Mosquitoes, Gnats and Midges". Unfortunately, the copy wasn't fully checked and it came out, "Repels Mosquitoes, Gnats and Midgets". Most embarrassing moment in her life.

flybill

Life of the Party
This reminds me of a friend who used to work fro ExOfficio back in the day. She had line sheets printed out for a clothing show to promote their 'Buzz-Off' feature that was supposed to state, "Repels Mosquitoes, Gnats and Midges". Unfortunately, the copy wasn't fully checked and it came out, "Repels Mosquitoes, Gnats and Midgets". Most embarrassing moment in her life.
Too funny!! Those midgets can really get in your way.. although you can cast over their heads quite easily! 😆

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I finally got out for the first time this year. It took a bit to get my lackadaisical butt out the door yesterday morning but it turned out to be a pretty fine day.

I hit a popular west side lake and was the first one at the launch...even though I was late by my standards. I'd done well at this place just after Christmas and was pretty much expecting a repeat. Two hours in with not even a bump, follow, or a surface swirl I was thinking the lake was gonna humble me yet again.

I hit my favorite areas as I worked around the lake but still nada. I hooked & lost one while asleep at the wheel and finally, around 11 or so, I got on the 2024 board with this guy

IMG_7006.JPG

Nothing crazy but it was a strong solid guy that got the morning skunk off. A short time later I lucked into this handsome old fella

IMG_7008.JPG

Shortly after that, I got surprised by this one.

IMG_7010.JPG
I haven't touched a brown in this lake for prolly 2 years so this was a treat.....strong and full of life. She didn't wanna cooperate and I ended up giving her line so the eagles wouldn't fly off with her before I could get her netted. Then, I forgot how big and sharp their teeth can be and I ended up bleeding all over the place after tearing open my thumb.

Then, the bite stopped as quickly as it started. I worked around the area a few more times and then continued on my way. Not another bump until I was back near the take out and getting ready to head home. I worked around some downed trees figuring most people wouldn't give this corner a second look and after losing a fly or two I hooked into this one.

IMG_7012.JPG

Another strong beauty of a brown. Whodathunkit!

What a nice start to the new year (y)

All right....who's next?

Last edited: