Finally!

Islander

Life of the Party
So the Seeger Effect (@Shawn Seeger) has been hitting Wyoming pretty hard lately. My hike in lake was ice free over a week ago, but high winds kept me from fishing. Then the temps dropped and it refroze to frustrate me even more. The near by C&R lake is usually the last to thaw out, but when checking it out yesterday it was pretty close to fish able but it was still windy. This morning I awoke to very little wind and sunshine so I headed out around 10:30, as the air temperature had risen above 35. I had tried some material that @Merle had discovered to replace my Camo Carey chenille and wanted to give it a go. There was only a small patch of ice left on the water, so I geared up the Cruzer and hit the water. Water temp was 37 and it was very low compared to usual with a lot more shallow areas, so I put the CC on an intermediate line and started prospecting. I hooked up several 16-17 inchers fairly quickly and was happy that the new found material was a success. This lake has some decent fish and they are usually deeper so I switched over to my full sink and a simi-seal leech and hit a few of my usual spots. Had some hookups off and on until around noon but my best fishing was between noon and 1:30. Everything deep was 17”-20” and much darker than the smaller fish in the shallows. After that things slowed down and about 2:00 I headed in. Had a total of 11 in the net and 3 O&O’s. I’m sure happy to be back on the water!

This is the down wind edge of the lake last week with freezing night temperatures and 60mph wind.
IMG_2172.jpegIMG_2171.jpeg

Today at the put in.
IMG_2221.jpeg

A few of the players.
IMG_2230.jpegIMG_2223.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpegIMG_2226.jpeg
IMG_2228.jpeg

Me trying to get one of those cool release pics like @Tim L always posts. He’s obviously better at it than me.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpeg
    IMG_2229.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 7

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Excellent! When I lived in SE Wyoming, early April was ice-off time for the lakes at around 7000’. I sure looked forward to those early season days.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Me trying to get one of those cool release pics like @Tim L always posts. He’s obviously better at it than me.

IMG_2227.jpeg
Sorry SM, cool release photography was Practical Lesson #8. Unfortunately the publisher cut me off at 7.

Widest lens available, and as close as possible. Also known as "close focus- wide angle photography". Extremely wide angle lenses can be focused quite close to the fish..and also include the surrounding scenery. Take my word for it...it makes for some nice images, and is fun to play with. Close focus-wide angle.

Landlocked

Steelhead
I wondered what the wind was doing across the state line. Drove up to Ogden yesterday and it was HOWLING up there with the easterlies. Figured this may break up the SW WY reservoirs pretty quick.

Way to get after it!