Finally - SRC Success!!!!

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm still pretty new to fly fishing (Thank you everyone here for all the help!) but have managed to catch some nice trout in rivers and lakes. The one species that has eluded me so far has been the Sea Run Cutthroat. I live within walking distance of the Sound but have been striking out. Wrong weather, wrong tide, wrong area, etc. I'd been reading up on them, doing research, trying different areas and talking to my local fly shop but still no success. A few hits but even then I wasn't sure if they were actually fish.

Last evening, I finally started to figure out these elusive trout. I went out about and hour and half after high tide and had to deal with some serious salad in the water. I think I spent 80% of my time cleaning the line and fly. In the hour or so I was out there, I bet I only got 30 or so clean decent casts in. So much debris and salad! But, the fish were jumping in the area so I wasn't giving up. I hooked up to four fish, got two right up to the net and lost them but landed this 17 inch SRC. I thought I had a tiny fish on at first or just hooked up to some seaweed but once he got close and realized he was hooked, he took off and put up a good fight. Jumped around like the water was on fire and luckily his final jump landed him right in my net! I really need to work on my landing skills.

Super pumped that I've finally knocked the skunk off for these SRC. I was smiling cheek to cheek on my 10 minute driver home. Hopefully next time the water will be a little cleaner and I won't have to fight so much debris salad out there but then again, maybe that's why I had such good luck? Regardless, I'm hooked and I can be in the water fishing within 20 minutes of walking out of my front door.

NOMLOHth.jpg

tyRSUiRh.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nice work!
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It really is a unique fishery. Got skunked yesterday but will try again next weekend for sure.

If you are fishing in the Seattle area, you can certainly catch some fish. If you end up really enjoying this fishery, a trip south or west to searun central will greatly increase your odds. The best fishing of the year will soon be upon us.
SF

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you are fishing in the Seattle area, you can certainly catch some fish. If you end up really enjoying this fishery, a trip south or west to searun central will greatly increase your odds. The best fishing of the year will soon be upon us.
SF

That's the plan in the next month or so and beyond. I've got a few places I want to try but starting close to get my feet wet and will expand out as time permits.

Shad

Life of the Party
Nice work, and a dandy first searun!

One of the cool things about saltwater searuns is that everyone kind of has to figure it out on their own, but anyone who tries can learn to catch fish. Another cool thing is that there are so many ways to do it. There are a few "rules of thumb" in the community, but the variables that can affect fishing (weather, tide stage/level, migration patterns, feeding trends, etc.) are seemingly endless. Every time I think I have something figured out, it changes. Keeps things interesting....

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice work, and a dandy first searun!

One of the cool things about saltwater searuns is that everyone kind of has to figure it out on their own, but anyone who tries can learn to catch fish. Another cool thing is that there are so many ways to do it. There are a few "rules of thumb" in the community, but the variables that can affect fishing (weather, tide stage/level, migration patterns, feeding trends, etc.) are seemingly endless. Every time I think I have something figured out, it changes. Keeps things interesting....

For sure! I'm learning the fish can be there one day and gone the next. So many things seem to play into it like you said.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great fish - I'm surprised that it's fairly clean without many sea lice! I like the net too, keeps the guess work at bay

Yeah, this one was pretty clean. Just a couple lice spots.

The Measure Net is great and the ruler is just a bonus. It’s super lightweight. The only complaint I have is the lanyard which is built into the foam handle. I wish it had a metal o-ring at the butt of the handle. But it’s a minor nitpick.

Pipeman

Freshly Spawned
Congratulations! The 'Salad Days of Summer', right? Beautiful cutty!