Finally got on some skinny water

Chadk

Life of the Party
I don't get out on the skinny water as mush as I used to. So this past weekend I took my youngest son camping and out to look for tiny trout in some tiny water and then hit a lake in the kayaks.

He was able to catch his very first, second, and third trout on a dry fly. To date, he's only every trolled with a fly rod. This was his first time casting (to be fair, it was only a 10 yard cast at best). He had a great time learning how to C&R these tiny wild trout (4 to 9 inches).

We also fished a lake not too far away from our creek-side camp. I could tell the warm weather was impacting the bite, but we did find plenty of willing trout (9 to 12 inch wild cutties and bows). A few were roasted on sticks over our campfire and others were brought home for the family to eat.

On the way back to the launch, I was trolling a streamer and had all my fly line out so the backing was out a foot our 2 past the tip of my rod. I got a massive strike and set the hook only to get a strange sensation of nothingness. Not just no fish, but nothing. Crap, my fly line separated from my backing!! I quickly swung the kayak around and scanned for the line, hoping it wasn't getting dragged under by a big fish. To my relief, there it was, floating and easy to grab - no fish attached. I tied it back on, and was back in business, grateful I could remember the knot to use. I don't know who tied that backing on, as this rod was given to me a while back, but this is the first failure I've ever experienced with the backing separating like that.

My twin daughters joined us at camp on Sunday and were able to catch stream trout on dry flies as well.

No stream or lake names...

1658860148135.png
1658860191270.png

1658860315217.png

1658860366590.png
1658860395362.png
1658860408137.png
1658860438268.png
1658860454774.png