FF857 Line Suggestions

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey gang. I'm sure this has been brought up, if not here, on other forums for sure. But I thought I'd get your input. I picked up a later FF857 at an antique mall for pretty cheap. This is in fact my first glass rod. I was wondering what modern lines/weights y'all would recommend. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hey gang. I'm sure this has been brought up, if not here, on other forums for sure. But I thought I'd get your input. I picked up a later FF857 at an antique mall for pretty cheap. This is in fact my first glass rod. I was wondering what modern lines/weights y'all would recommend. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom.
Oh shit, welcome to the club. I’ve never fished that rod, but I guarantee it can handle a 240gr streamer max short. I have the 6, 7 and 8wt sizes, you’re more than welcome to try em all to see what it likes.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh shit, welcome to the club. I’ve never fished that rod, but I guarantee it can handle a 240gr streamer max short. I have the 6, 7 and 8wt sizes, you’re more than welcome to try em all to see what it likes.
I'll take you up on that for sure next time we get together.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I have the same rod in a 6#. I now use it with a Cortland type 5 full sink and it works well. If you want a floater, a quality DT line would be my choice. These rods are slow but surprisingly powerful and I think could handle a WF without a problem also. It will handle modern sized lines in it's weight rating.. Just decide what you will use it for and go accordingly. Glass rods are great dry fly tools...

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the same rod in a 6#. I now use it with a Cortland type 5 full sink and it works well. If you want a floater, a quality DT line would be my choice. These rods are slow but surprisingly powerful and I think could handle a WF without a problem also. It will handle modern sized lines in it's weight rating.. Just decide what you will use it for and go accordingly. Glass rods are great dry fly tools...
Thanks for the info and advice.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
When I had mine I fished anything from standard 7wt lines on it (I always prefer weight forward, but that's just personal preference) all the way up to 250gr shooting heads. Once you approach 300 on the shooting heads it gets super sloppy. It'll also cast a 4wt line easily....but, why?

Don't forget to slow down. You'll have a blast with it!

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I had mine I fished anything from standard 7wt lines on it (I always prefer weight forward, but that's just personal preference) all the way up to 250gr shooting heads. Once you approach 300 on the shooting heads it gets super sloppy. It'll also cast a 4wt line easily....but, why?

Don't forget to slow down. You'll have a blast with it!
Appreciate the input. I'm stoked to get out and play with it.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Several years back I had to have Sage repair my Sound rod. In its absence, for grins, I put the reel (with 235 grain OBS 15’ intermediate tip) on my FF857. I was impressed how well it hucked that line. The 857 is slightly on the brutish side IMO. Not in a bad way though, meant to throw streamers vs tiny stuff. Anyway, a shooting head in the 230 to 250 range should bring a grin.
Oh, for a more standard line, I liked the Airflo Super Dri Elite, WF 7. So probably any standard to slightly heavy 7wt WF line (like say the Rio Gold) would work well.

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anyone playing with fiberglass rods might benefit from this video. It may have been posted before, but it’s worth the watch.