Favorite Wooly Bugger..?

Curious what the MT and ID guys like for a favorite Wooly Bugger. I like swinging flies and find that WB’s are among my favorite. And, I wonder if a you guys have a favorite Baby Brown WB pattern.

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I have one that stands above any others that I tie. I call it the Chestnut... as in That Ol' Chestnut. It has worked for me in both rivers and stillwaters. From experience, I know it works in Montana rivers.

If I had a photo handy I'd post it.

The size varies from 4 - 6 with gold bead head

The tail is black marabou

The rib is gold wire

The body is variegated olive and black chenille

The hackle is black saddle (a variation that also works is tied with a grizz hackle)

I have no idea where it came from but I've been tying and using it for decades.

Found a photo:

1670885708541.png

Last edited:

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
A good ol' standard black one works for me, when they get in attack mode for the WB, I'm not sure color has a ton to do with it. Back in the day, a small black WB accounted for a few summer steelhead also

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
The most important part of a WB is the hook. A lot of them are tied on a tiny hook with a very high hook loss ratio. Fish one with a real hook that can hook and hold a hog!

I have one that stands above any others that I tie. I call it the Chestnut... as in That Ol' Chestnut. It has worked for me in both rivers and stillwaters. From experience, I know it works in Montana rivers.

If I had a photo handy I'd post it.

The size varies from 4 - 6 with gold bead head

The tail is black marabou

The rib is gold wire

The body is variegated olive and black chenille

The hackle is black saddle (a variation that also works is tied with a grizz hackle)

I have no idea where it came from but I've been tying and using it for decades.

Found a photo:

View attachment 44808
Deadly. I think that may be the same recipe as the “original” Wooly Bugger

Reactions: GAT
The most important part of a WB is the hook. A lot of them are tied on a tiny hook with a very high hook loss ratio. Fish one with a real hook that can hook and hold a hog!
The hook has to hold a true pig. My hooks are good and meaty- but not too meaty as to prevent easy penetration. I wish the selection was better for straight eye hooks as they fish better on swing.

A good ol' standard black one works for me, when they get in attack mode for the WB, I'm not sure color has a ton to do with it. Back in the day, a small black WB accounted for a few summer steelhead also
Often I wonder if color matters. Seems like some days they chase…and other days they do not. I’d LIKE to believe that, like with the dry fly, color matters if even for the lowly WB. Son!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Deadly. I think that may be the same recipe as the “original” Wooly Bugger
I believe you are correct. I never did know the name ... if anyone named it ... so I've ended up calling it That Ol' Chestnut or Chestnut for short. At least the guys in my group knows what that is because they all carry them.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
You are correct. For Salmon, Steelhead and LMB, my WBs are tied with a much wider gap than my trout versions. I normally don't have a problem keeping a trout, even a large one, on a WB.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
WBs are my primary fly for stillwaters. And sometimes, a small change to the pattern makes all the difference.

I was fishing a lake with my longest fishing buddy, John, and he was catching trout after trout and I wasn't getting a hit. I asked him what he was using (this was before I named the pattern) and he told me the usual variegated WB with the black tail. Odd. That's what I was using.
Then I remembered that John is color blind and sometimes he really isn't using what he thinks he is. So I finned over and asked to see his fly.

It was a black tailed variegated WB alright but instead of a black hackle, he was using one with a grizzly hackle. WTF? I told him that wasn't the old favorite because he had tied it with grizz instead of black for the hackle. He told me he always tied them that way and thought we all did.

I had to ask him for a fly because mine all had black as the palmered hackle. He gave me one and I immediately started catching trout.

I have since started tying the pattern with black or grizzly for the hackle and sometimes, the fish prefer the grizzly version. As I always use two flies for lake fishing, I'll tie on both the original black hackle pattern and a grizz version. And sometimes, the trout do prefer the grizz version.

Keep that in mind if you tie some of the Chestnuts. The original Chestnut has a black hackle. John's Chestnut has a grizzly hackle. Sometimes it makes a difference.

These are all good suggestions. Thank you.

I never fish lakes and am usually swinging the lowly WB through a juicy meat bucket in a river somewhere on western tail waters. I WANT to believe that at some point giant Brown pigs become cannibalistic and eat their own. Does anyone here have a go-to WB for when and if Brown pig eats its own?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

I never fish lakes and am usually swinging the lowly WB through a juicy meat bucket in a river somewhere on western tail waters. I WANT to believe that at some point giant Brown pigs become cannibalistic and eat their own. Does anyone here have a go-to WB for when and if Brown pig eats its own?
Maybe you’re thinking of something like the JJ Special.
1670920154404.jpeg

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

F3BC4E9F-CC04-4A66-B9F4-21D687A9C4B0.jpeg

Maybe you’re thinking of something like the JJ Special.
View attachment 44872
Oohh yes the JJ Special - a proven pig puller. Ive never fished it much but this definitely seems to be a WB that simulates a juvenile Brown trout. I may need to get on the vise and pump some out, though I would make some minor changes to allow for them to be fished on swing with a Scandi line most likely.