Favorite WA Stillwater Region?

BDD

Steelhead
I have been giving some thought as to which region is the best for lake fishing. Of course, the definition of the best is relative. Does that mean the largest? Least pressured? Most variety? Best for dries? Or simply the best place to catch the most fish?

I generally think of four regions for WA stillwaters: Columbia basin, Okanogan, Spokane/Cheney area, and Colville area. Obviously there is some overlap. Not that I want to exclude the westside as there are some nice lakes there but in general, the eastside has more productive lakes for growing trout from the fry stage to adults. I have been fortunate to fish all four of these areas over the last 25 years and each has their advantages as to the "best". With that said, I find myself looking for the least pressured lakes and I tend to find those in the Okanogan or Colville, probably because they are just a bit farther from the population area. Of course there are exceptions (Chopaka or Blue). I think in general, the fish are smaller there but the scenery is a little better. I sure do like the spring-time smell in these places and looking forward to April and May.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think Mason County. Not really affected by cold weather(icy/frozen).
Lots of lakes within a few miles. Limited pressure and somewhat scenic.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm in the SE region and all the stillwater fishing is in smallish man made impoundments. Not the best. With the pressure of bait fishers the stockers don't stay around long enough to get big, nor is there enough food for all of them. That said, they plant a lot of fish and it remains entertaining enough until the rivers open back up.

Last edited:

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As you know, I'm partial to the small seep lakes in the Columbia Basin (Grant County mostly). They are usually uncrowded, peaceful and occasionally you'll catch some nice fish in them. Here's a photo of one of those small seep lakes on an unusually calm day to give you an idea of what I like about them (notice that there is no one else on the lake):

IMGP5073.JPG

And here's a photo of a chunky rainbow hooked in that lake:

IMGP3956.JPG

But, I also like variety, so I'll fish a variety of regions, the high altitude BC lakes being very attractive to me. I enjoy fly fishing for shad down on the Columbia River. Getting a largemouth bass on the fly is a kick. Fly fishing for Coho salmon in the rivers is really fun. Hooking pink salmon in the salt water on a fly is a blast. It is hard to beat the scenery down in central Oregon with all the snow-covered mountains in that area. We are very fortunate to have such a variety of fishing venues here in the PNW.

Rex

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
As you know, I'm partial to the small seep lakes in the Columbia Basin (Grant County mostly).
I was looking to explore that area more this year, but at 3hr each way it may wait. I can make 3 trips over the hill for stockers in the same time, and it is quite pretty up there.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
The Basin is my back yard and I’m happy to have it. It’s lower elevation than the other areas mentioned so timing for trout fishing is a little different. The Spokane/Cheney and NE areas are the other zones I have some experience with. I have some favorites out that way. I haven’t spent a lot of time in the Okanogan but wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to do so. Hard to pick a favorite. Any of them in prime time can be stellar.

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m going to have to go with Okanogan County…

Another vote for Okanogan. I have been fishing it since the '80's, scenic with good water, good taverns, decent eateries, good friends and some real big fish.

Twenty years ago the NE corner in the Ione-Colville area was the equal of Okanogan in terms of good producing lakes and lots of them. Over the years this corner of the state has fallen on hard times, some due to natural causes and others due to brain farts of the WDFW. I can think of 6 lakes just off the top of my head that were outstanding 20 years ago and are no longer worth the effort to fish. So much decline in such a short time.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I was always partial to Castle Lake, just south of Coulee City. A mile or so hike with the donut float tube, climb down a rebar ladder anchored to columnar basalt then slip slide down a scree slope, sit in the tube and fish. Saw my first water boatman "hatch" on Castle Lake; good grief did those trout hit the boatman patterns HARD. I decided to retain one fish, it had three very good-sized crawfish in his throat/stomach. Stayed late one afternoon and hit a BWO hatch. I didn't realize how many shucks were on my jacket until the quick stop clerk freaked out; she didn't know what all those "bugs" were.

I'm not going to haul my tube there anymore, that rebar ladder was sketchy. Oh, and then there's the problem with eutrophication: the lake doesn't exist anymore so you anti hot spot guys: chill.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was always partial to Castle Lake, just south of Coulee City. A mile or so hike with the donut float tube, climb down a rebar ladder anchored to columnar basalt then slip slide down a scree slope, sit in the tube and fish. Saw my first water boatman "hatch" on Castle Lake; good grief did those trout hit the boatman patterns HARD. I decided to retain one fish, it had three very good-sized crawfish in his throat/stomach. Stayed late one afternoon and hit a BWO hatch. I didn't realize how many shucks were on my jacket until the quick stop clerk freaked out; she didn't know what all those "bugs" were.

I'm not going to haul my tube there anymore, that rebar ladder was sketchy. Oh, and then there's the problem with eutrophication: the lake doesn't exist anymore so you anti hot spot guys: chill.
That was a favorite of mine back when it had water. For some reason you could catch a bunch there on dries almost any day. Some nice fish too, until the goldfish got thick in there.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I'm in the SE region and all the stillwater fishing is in smallish man made impoundments. Not the best. With the pressure of bait fishers the stockers don't stay around long enough to get big, nor is there enough food for all of them. That said, they plant a lot of fish and it remains entertaining enough until the rivers open back up.
You did that entire paragraph without saying Bubba...impressive

B

bennysbuddy

ferry county some great fishing lakes with a very small population of people , plus a few rivers to fish

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wait just a darn second! That ain't 4 regions of WA. Those are just sections of the region known as Eastern Washington to us natives. The other region being Western Washington. If you just gotta' have 4 regions, then NE, SE, SW, and NW. There. My favorite for lake fishing would be NE.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I live very near Pass lake (Anacortes ). When I visit family in Sprague (near Spokane) my favorite local (fly fishing only) lake is very similar. The last couple of years have proven to me that the techniques that are effective at Pass Lake directly correlate to the lake near Sprague. When I put my float tube in and start to do what I normally do at Pass Lake, and start to catch far more fish than any other angler there....It makes my heart sing.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I live very near Pass lake (Anacortes ). When I visit family in Sprague (near Spokane) my favorite local (fly fishing only) lake is very similar. The last couple of years have proven to me that the techniques that are effective at Pass Lake directly correlate to the lake near Sprague. When I put my float tube in and start to do what I normally do at Pass Lake, and start to catch far more fish than any other angler there....It makes my heart sing.
Yes! Pass Lake Strategies are, in fact, universal 🤓👍