Favorite Simple Dry Flies for Mountain Streams

Bajema

Life of the Party
I’m needing to restock my fly box for mountain streams. Typically where I’m fishing the trout don’t seem to be to picky, so I like to just focus on patterns that are easier to tie. Historically I’ve tied and fished a lot of CDC & Elk Caddis because it’s simple to tie and catches fish. What are your favorite simple dry fly patterns for catching trout on mountain streams?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Should also have added black foam beetle to my first reply. Super way to tie.
SF

Reactions: Zak

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Stimulators… Micheal T’s Percolators… Ants

I’m pretty partial to one particular one, I recently shared in a PNWFFF thread.

RCF

Life of the Party
As indicated earlier I love humpies. Tan, red, olive or yellow all work well. Just need to figure the color they are keyed into.

Polyester yarn body, hair back and tail with lots of hackle are so easy to tie. Floats like a cork too. To have a lower profile just clip a V into the hackle. Very versatile for sure...

Sort of a forgotten pattern but work oh so well. My go to fly when I am not sure what works. Great attractor fly for sure...

Last edited:

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Sort of a forgotten pattern but work oh so well. My go to fly when I am not sure what works. Great attractor fly for sure...
It's interesting,I virtually never use humpys. I should give them another go.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
As mentioned, humpies are a good fly but lack some durability in my opinion as the hair backs tend to get torn up after multiple fish. They’ll still catch fish when torn up but as an alternative I like to use a foam back for better durability and ease of tying while still using a hair tail.
Just another option you might consider.
SF

Chadk

Life of the Party
EHC are super easy and pretty universal. Put a little white or high vis foam on the back to help with visibility. Royal wolf has been my go to for ever, but not super easy to tie compared to some others. They ride high and dry and can be seen easily.

Reactions: Zak

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I don't consider the humpy an easy tie. My Adams aren't great either. I can do elk hair caddis and renegades well enough. Those are really the only 4 I fish much. I fish ants in the film so don't consider them a dry necessarily. Last summer I was having more luck with a muddler dry, then wet, than any other hopper imitation, but that was below what I consider a mountain stream.