Favorite Month for PNW Fly Fishing (Multi-species)

MarshRat

Steelhead
What I miss most about the PNW is the variety of fisheries. Stillwater, warmwater, saltwater and moving water all provide unique fishing experiences for a wide array of species. We would like to plan an annual extended trip home to the PNW, and I would l like to dabble in as much different fishing as possible. What single month of the year shows you the most variety in your fishing?

Personally, I think it would have to be sometime in the late summer, where warmwater species are active- but rivers are coming down from peak runoff and are becoming fishable. However, I feel that a lot of beach fishing slows down until the fall. Maybe September?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Late August-mid October. Everything is available, arguable at peak fishability for every piece of water and species. Lakes are clearing of weeds, rivers filling with salmon, bulls and cutts, peak summer steel (rip), bass are doing the feeding frenzy thing, beaches full of whatever anadromous fish isn't already in the river ... I could fish 60 hours a week within 60 miles of my door and not touch a quarter of the available opportunity.

Also love june because of the local river fishery and bass and all the daylight. 20 hours of wet lines on the solstice is my definition of self care.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If you are going to fish saltwater, you'll want to do it in September since most of the best marine areas and beaches will be closed come October. For salmon fishing at least.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
I’d say September/Oct as well, anything after Labor Day. Schools will be back in session and this relieves a large crowd.

Late summer is less chance of blown out rivers, awesome lake fishing and as @SurfnFish said, the salt will hold some big fish staging.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’d say September/Oct as well, anything after Labor Day. Schools will be back in session and this relieves a large crowd.

Late summer is less chance of blown out rivers, awesome lake fishing and as @SurfnFish said, the salt will hold some big fish staging.
my handle 'SurfnFish' comes from a mid -September day that happened well over a decade ago...after having had a super fun surf session wth just a couple of buddies, hiked over the sand dune to where my truck was parked on the other side, changed from wetsuit to hip waders, grabbed my switch rod, walked the 75 yards to the river, and was soon hooked into a King...first time I hit the double, not the last

IMG_20140715_201910.jpg
Sept-Oct, for either a surfer or King fisherman, are the two best months of the year for making grins on the OR coast.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It's really a 2ish month period for me. mid-April through June. I get prespawn smallies that overlap on the front end of prime tiger fishing. AND, if I feel like fishing shoulder to shoulder next to guys who's only fishing apparently takes place during this time, the salmonfly hatch.