Favorite House Brand Hooks

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I haven’t tied any freshwater trout flies in a long time. I plan to do a bit more stillwater trout fishing this coming year.
I’ll be tying stuff like chironomids and buggers. No dries.
I used to buy some of The Fly Shop house brand, but that was years ago.
Just curious what house brands hooks folks are liking these days. Thanks for your input.
SF

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I haven’t tied any freshwater trout flies in a long time. I plan to do a bit more stillwater trout fishing this coming year.
I’ll be tying stuff like chironomids and buggers. No dries.
I used to buy some of The Fly Shop house brand, but that was years ago.
Just curious what house brands hooks folks are liking these days. Thanks for your input.
SF
Check out Togens. A Canadian shop. Great value and prices with the exchange rate. I used some. Cool chironimid flys to pattern after.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I still use Fly Shop brand hooks for some of my flies, but use other brands of hooks (e.g. Ahrex, Firehole Sticks, Hanak, etc. ) for many of the trout patterns that I tie.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Sadly, I just haven't found anything better than Ahrex and Gami's (for most of what I tie). If I'm taking the amount of time I take to tie up a fly, I definitely don't want it to be on a subpar hook. Shoot, I even use Gami egg hooks for my eggstasy patterns for trout.

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
Not a house brand, but pretty inexpensive, sometimes on sale for $2 for a pack of 25 hooks. Green Caddis Outfitters elite series barbless have been pretty good for trout flies. The only problem is that they run out of stock on the popular sizes.

With the number of fly swaps that I participate in I also like the Green Caddis hooks when I can get them. Limited variety and they do sell out but a very good value when you can get them!

Kim

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
I received notice from Wholesale Fly Company last year that they were quitting the business. It looks like someone else has taken over the operation. That is good news. I like their tungsten beads in addition to hooks.

Scottp

Legend
I received notice from Wholesale Fly Company last year that they were quitting the business. It looks like someone else has taken over the operation. That is good news. I like their tungsten beads in addition to hooks.

That was the word but, like you said, they appear to be back in business; their inventory is pretty complete.

Regards,
Scott

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Before they were taken over, Cabelas house brand hooks were good. I think they were rebranded TMC. Now I tend to look for deals on the classics like TMC 3769’s (which make a great chironomid in #12-14) and Mustad signature series. Solid hooks, sticky sharp and not as spendy as some of the newer/flashier options.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I used J Stockard hooks, in the past. They are quite good value.

That said, I feel like high quality hooks are worth spending money on. I have very little time for fishing and even less time for tying flies, so a failed hook isn’t worth the hassle.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I used J Stockard hooks, in the past. They are quite good value.

That said, I feel like high quality hooks are worth spending money on. I have very little time for fishing and even less time for tying flies, so a failed hook isn’t worth the hassle.

These will be used for stocked stillwater trout.
If I lose a fish due to an occasional bad hook I won’t sweat it…. 😉
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I haven't used a big variety, and none of their freshwater hooks, but I've used J Stockards saltwater hooks a fair amount and have been pretty impressed with them. To my eye they are just a rebranded 2546. I've only used them for src and rezzie sized stuff, as I'm not too interested in going cheap for larger fish, but from what I've seen I wouldn't hesitate to try their freshwater hooks for trout

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I learned this one over time and trial. I like a 3x long hook for small wooly buggers. The Tiemco hook is 2x heavy wire while the Daiichi is 1x heavy wire and can take a smaller bead. Not sure if a bigger bead is worse for productivity but smaller works great. I have tied flies with both and will test it this summer but if the bigger bead isn't up to the task I'll keep buying the Daiichi hooks. As for steelhead I like Gamakatsu .

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Dunno if it’s a house brand or what, but somewhere I acquired some “Maruto 8356 SSC” and they’re frickin awesome tube fly hooks. Barbless, strong, straight eye, and sharp.

Don't know where to get more, though.