Favorite Fly Shops

My favorite shop will always be Teds. Mostly for nostalgic reasons, but also because Mike was a really good dude. Plus, Steven would always ask if there was something I was looking for that I wasn't seeing and then go grab a catalog (Hareline for example) and see if he could find it. If he did, he'd throw in the order and then call when it came in. Obviously would rather be able to look the material over in person first, but having that just a few minutes from home before the era of internet shops was pretty awesome.
Yep, miss that store!

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mountain Hardware and Sports in Truckee ca. It is a mercantile with a full service fly shop in it. My wife and some friends are employee owners so I am a bit biased. Lots of good info for the Truckee and Pyramid if you are down this way.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Avid Angler has always been my go to. My folks and my girlfriend’s folks live nearby. Nice to step out and swing by the shop.

More recently living near Patrick’s has been great. Nice guys. Always willing to chat a bit.

Some of my favorite Montana shops include
Kingfisher, Missoula
Freestone, Hamilton
Sunrise, Melrose

Too bad the rivers nearby these joints don’t have any trout 😉
There used to be two Fly shops in Melrose. The one in the same building as the Melrose bar went out of business. But the bar is still there.😬😬😬

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Bill also opened a nice shop, also called The Blue Dun, in Spokane which he eventually sold to John Propp, a well known Spokane rod builder.
John changed the name to Propp's Rod & Fly and if I remember correctly he either sold or closed due to illness.
It was the other way around…John opened Propp’s, Bill bought Propp’s and changed the name to Bluse Dunn.

Russell

Steelhead
Mountain Hardware and Sports in Truckee ca. It is a mercantile with a full service fly shop in it. My wife and some friends are employee owners so I am a bit biased. Lots of good info for the Truckee and Pyramid if you are down this way.
You mean ACE Hardware?🤣
I love the store. Better stock than most down in sac. A place to get a christmas gift for everyone.
You still looking to get that fisher back swede

Deansie

Steelhead
They all start to run together but it’s the people that makes or breaks them.
- Charlie’s Fly Box- Arvada, CO
- Sloane’s General Store- Alcova, WY (mostly for the breakfast burrito)
- Great Lakes Fly Shop- Duluth, MN
- The two I go to in the Chicagoland area are actually pretty good considering it’s the MW, they’ll talk your ear off…Dupage Fly Shop in Naperville and The Fly Fisher’s in Brookfield, WI

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
It'll smoke.
View attachment 2082

Speaking of flyshops, Mossy's in Anchorage is another great one.
Ha, until I saw this, I honestly thought your new avatar was just you holding one of the many ridiculous AK rainbows you’ve caught and posted pics of over the years.

Regarding fly shops, the local ones I’ve visited over here on the Kitsap side have treated me fine. That said, I buy a good chunk of my fly tying stuff from Spawnflyfish now. They are super fast getting orders to you.

If anyone finds themselves in CT, I’d recommend Upcountry Sport Fishing. Really solid shop on the Farmington River. At least it used to be. I have not been back East for a visit in a bit.

RWBAILEY

Smolt
My two “Home” shops

• Silver Bow Fly Shop (Spokane)
• Red Shed Fly Shop (Peck)

Both great shops ran by top notch folks.

Poppy and Linda have treated me very well over the years. Rest In Peace Linda! The CW and all of us anglers miss you, you stories and chats and your cookies!

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like Two Rivers Fly Shop at the foot of the bridge in Albany, Or. Unlike many shops I've been in during the last half century, Mitch, the owner, always greets people entering the store and is pleased to see you. Nice guy, nice shop, nice stock.

Bhudda

Your daddy
Avid Angler, the old Swede’s, Teds, hook line and sinker, of course All About the Fly😍…sadly, only one of these stores is still open😭

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Creative Sports in Pleasant Hilll, Ca. I believe it was founded by Andre Puyans but I came after that when Steve was running the shop.

First time I went in I was grabbing random tying stuff. Plopped it all on the counter and Steve started putting it back. He grabbed just the materials to tie a wooly bugger, sat me down and we tied a half dozen. Every week more or less for the next year we repeated this, totally free of charge.

25 years later I still buy as much as I can from them.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
The Fly Fisher- Lacey, WA.- first shop I visited when I moved up here. It helped that i lived across the street at the time.🙂

Campus Cycle and Fly Fishing Center- Lewisburg, Penna. they used to be Orvis-centric, but havent been back in a couple years, so dont know.

Penns Creek Angler Fly Shop- Weikert, Penna. - went to high school with the current owner.. never figured him to be a fly fisherman

Tackle Box Outfitters, San Antonio, TX. - these guys made my bonefish trip to Belize a snap. if you didnt know, because of its location, San Antonio is a great hub for adventure fly fishing trips. You can get to Baja, or Belize, and many other warm water places quickly and cheaply.
Sounds to me like like you‘re a transplanted Pennsylvanian?

I drove by the Penns Creek Angler Fly Shop last one day last fall and they seemed to be closed - maybe they’re only open in the busier time of the year? (I hadn’t been in that area for many years as I ordinarily come in from Poe Paddy when I fish Penns Creek.). Anyway, even with them being closed, on the morning drive past there I saw lots of deer and a flock of turkeys, and then riding my bike from Weikert to Poe Paddy and back, was worth the price of admission.

I may have bought more fly fishing and tying items than almost anyone during the past several years, both online and by visiting fly shops in person as I had to replace most of my gear when I lost it in a fire 3 1/2 years back - not that I hadn’t been buying plenty of stuff before then. Here’s some of the places that stick out in my mind as favorites:

Fins and Feathers - Four Corners, MT
Blue Ribbon Fly Shop - West Yellowstone, MT
Dakota Angler - Rapid City, SD
Campfire Lodge (West Yellowstone?) - the best breakfasts anywhere, and sells more Whiting hackle than anyone, faster, during weekly Hackle Blitzes on Facebook.
AvidMax - Centeninail, CO - Best online customer service with best prices.
Moosejaw - frequent sales make them a favorite place for buying Simms waders, clothing and some outdoor gear.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Between those two shops it really seems to depend on who you deal with. I got ignored once at rivers edge and once at fins and feathers I was helped by a really condescending little punk who didn't know what am irresponsible Adam's was or that it was a great March brown pattern.. I left there and gave rivers edge another try and had a great conversation with the guy there.

River's Edge always has always been the Simms showroom. They have good stock of waders, boots, etc..

As far as your comment about who you deal with, I completely agree (this is not specific to fly shops either.) No offense to young bros but at least in Bozeman these are generally college students and they change with the seasons. I'm nice and enjoy chatting with anyone but I keep my expectations low.

Anymore though I generally don't go into shops looking for too much advice. But if I do, I have my trusted resources even if that means going to a different shop. For example, if I have any questions about fishing in YNP, Johnny Mac at Troutfitters is as solid as they come.

Here's Johnny before a steelhead trip a couple years ago and I wanted to look my best for my @Salmo_g as we were being featured in a newspaper article. Being a fly fishing fashion forum influencer has its perks most of "my guys" get it.

762CFF5E-F797-4188-9FB6-DF2E1CB7A697_zps6nzt9z30.jpg

And +1 on the Slide, can't believe I didn't mention it. Kelly rubs some folks around here the wrong way but I love that guy. His videos are best in class and I always learn something. I really dig his tying style and if you look at some of the most innovative tyers around right now they all have been influenced by Kelly.

Plus he has a great sense of humor and not afraid to laugh at ourselves.

2CE41CCD-B810-407F-8C36-EBB3DD4F4076_zps8jvrrrwh.jpg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
River's Edge always has always been the Simms showroom. They have good stock of waders, boots, etc..

As far as your comment about who you deal with, I completely agree (this is not specific to fly shops either.) No offense to young bros but at least in Bozeman these are generally college students and they change with the seasons. I'm nice and enjoy chatting with anyone but I keep my expectations low.

Anymore though I generally don't go into shops looking for too much advice. But if I do, I have my trusted resources even if that means going to a different shop. For example, if I have any questions about fishing in YNP, Johnny Mac at Troutfitters is as solid as they come.

Here's Johnny before a steelhead trip a couple years ago and I wanted to look my best for my @Salmo_g as we were being featured in a newspaper article. Being a fly fishing fashion forum influencer has its perks most of "my guys" get it.

762CFF5E-F797-4188-9FB6-DF2E1CB7A697_zps6nzt9z30.jpg

And +1 on the Slide, can't believe I didn't mention it. Kelly rubs some folks around here the wrong way but I love that guy. His videos are best in class and I always learn something. I really dig his tying style and if you look at some of the most innovative tyers around right now they all have been influenced by Kelly.

Plus he has a great sense of humor and not afraid to laugh at ourselves.

2CE41CCD-B810-407F-8C36-EBB3DD4F4076_zps8jvrrrwh.jpg

I rarely look for advice either., at least not in Montana.. totally agree about the Slide Inn and Kelly.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
What, no love for the Steinbaugh era Waters West?
Every time I went to see my mom in Port Angeles, I absolutely HAD to stop at Waters West and see Mr. Steinbaugh. His first little shop was Oak Street just north of the current location. I always enjoyed perusing his unique materials he dyed (sp right @Northern?). David would ask me where I was going fishing and offer to loan me a rod. Great guy and a great shop.