Favorite Fly Shops

gpt

Smolt
Except…he hasn’t been banned from all things fishing related, as you stated.
That was my point.
If he had, he and I would not talk at expos (as he is tying) and such…nor would he be writing magazine articles…etc. 😉
i appreciate your update on Dave. since we moved from OR i have lost touch with him, don't attend expos or read anything fishing related. if you run into him, say hi for me.

gpt

Smolt
great article by Dave McNeese on Syd Glasso, a one of a kind inventor and creator of beautiful steelhead flies. he was a middle school teacher in Forks, WA so i am now trying to get ahold of JD Love who lived on the banks of the Sol Duc and guided those rivers to see if JD actually ran across Glasso. jus curious on my part i guess but an interesting intertwining of people and places. and as usual McNeese knew all these people, astonishing how he got around and how large his reputation was. but a pirate in the end...

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Pretty sure Glasso died in the 70's which is before JD started guiding in Forks.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Syd died in 1985 as best I can recall.

GPT, I don't know if McNeese knew Syd personally. Dave contacted nearly everyone (including me a couple times) who ever knew Glasso to acquire information about Syd. Dave said he was writing a book about Syd and his flies. Kept saying it would be out in about 4 months for something like the last 4 years. So did he get an article published? I haven't seen nor heard anything about it.

EBT

Smolt
I didn't look through the whole list, but will vouch for these:

Two Rivers Fly Shop, Albany, OR
Fly Fishers Place, Sisters, OR - plus great up-to-date reports from area rivers/lakes
Stehekin Fishing Adventures
Confluence Fly Shop, Bellingham, WA

gpt

Smolt
Syd died in 1985 as best I can recall.

GPT, I don't know if McNeese knew Syd personally. Dave contacted nearly everyone (including me a couple times) who ever knew Glasso to acquire information about Syd. Dave said he was writing a book about Syd and his flies. Kept saying it would be out in about 4 months for something like the last 4 years. So did he get an article published? I haven't seen nor heard anything about it.
i googled McNeese articles and came across the Syd Glasso article, very interesting read.

gpt

Smolt
Dave always had big ideas. i can remember seeing the engineering drawings for the reel he was designing. best way to describe this adventure: take the spool out of a Pate. next, take the spool out of an Abel. you tell me who knows engineering. of course the reel went no where fast although i actually think he came up with one example i saw in his shop. i lived about 6 blocks away so would often walk down and see what was going on. he would be sitting at his huge wooden desk with materials scattered everywhere chatting and inventing. several folks got their starts at his shop and went on with their own careers and books. always an interesting crew of folks hanging around.

Xoxo

There used to be two Fly shops in Melrose. The one in the same building as the Melrose bar went out of business. But the bar is still there.😬😬😬
I just met a really nice woman last night at my brother in law’s birthday party. Her son owns the Sunrise Fly Shop in Melrose. She gave me his card. The fly shop is still operating. He’s a guide too and owns some cabins. The owner’s name is Eric.

Chic Worthing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
My favorite Washington (Eastern) fly shops are Worley Bugger fly shop and that one in Spokane, the one on the northern side of the interstate. Swimmy, I have heard from a not so reputable souse that Simms bought Bozeman.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I want to give a shout out to Jack at Pacific City Fly Fishing. My buddy broke his cheapo fly rod during a recent tidewater session. I shot Jack a text message and the next thing we knew - he was waiting at the boat ramp with a new fly rod. Did I mention his prices are amazing? What a gem of a human being!

Blue Lines

Steelhead
I like Two Rivers Fly Shop at the foot of the bridge in Albany, Or. Unlike many shops I've been in during the last half century, Mitch, the owner, always greets people entering the store and is pleased to see you. Nice guy, nice shop, nice stock.
+1 for Two Rivers in Albany. I consider this my “home” shop and owe a lot to Mitch.

Other favorites:
Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop (closed now, but the website is up and Smurf still guides)
Camp Sherman Store & Fly Shop
Big Y

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fly Fishing Strategies in The Dalles because Paul is so fun to talk with, just don't stop on your way to the Deschutes because you'll be late to the river.

Watershed in Corvallis because they stock Airflo Compact Scandis.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So... I try to visit a fly shop anywhere I end up. Some of my favorites

La Maison de la Mouche- Paris
Sansui- Tokyo
Serious Fly Fishing- Kiel, Germany
East Rosebuds- Billings
Lund’s Fly Shop- River Falls, WI
Trout’s Fly Shop- Denver
The Drift Fly Shop- Pueblo

Last the hometown shop:
The Confluence Fly Shop- Bellingham
Can you tell me about your experience at Sansui? Japan has some insane fly tiers there.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
The new Yellow Dog Fly Fishing fly shop in Bozeman (Four Corners area) is excellent. The fly tying section is top notch. I bought some very hard to find saltwater hooks and tying materials. They also have a great selection of fly rods, reels, gear for fresh water and salt water (3 - 12 weights). No sales tax is a big bonus.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The new Yellow Dog Fly Fishing fly shop in Bozeman (Four Corners area) is excellent. The fly tying section is top notch. I bought some very hard to find saltwater hooks and tying materials. They also have a great selection of fly rods, reels, gear for fresh water and salt water (3 - 12 weights). No sales tax is a big bonus.
Yellowdog acquired the Fins and Feathers fly shop specifically to have a retail outlet to support clients embarking on exotic international trips. They have done a great job expanding the stock to support the needs of all manner of angling targets—salt, warm and cold. The Bozeman Fly Supply shop has probably the best selection of fly tying materials in town with Montana Troutfitters a close second.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used to love stopping in at Fins and Feathers when my kid went to college in Bozeman. The fly tying section was always awesome. Hell, I still have a Fins and Feathers tshirt that is one of my favorites. I guess now it will only come out for special occasions since I can't get a replacement!