Favorite Fly Shops

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Lost Creek Fly Shop.
Mike is a great owner and guide, he runs the shop from his house with a thick selection and the type of personable interaction you would expect. He also has an absolute ton of wisdom in the sport.

The Fly Fisher
Bjorn has a smaller shop in Olympia, with the same personable interaction I come to search for. Wisdom drives his purchasing and likely if a material isn't in the shop is because he has a substitute. I enjoy his laissez-faire style to the approach and humbleness, you'd never know the demand his flies warrant.

Lost Creek Fly Shop.
Mike is a great owner and guide, he runs the shop from his house with a thick selection and the type of personable interaction you would expect. He also has an absolute ton of wisdom in the sport.

The Fly Fisher
Bjorn has a smaller shop in Olympia, with the same personable interaction I come to search for. Wisdom drives his purchasing and likely if a material isn't in the shop is because he has a substitute. I enjoy his laissez-faire style to the approach and humbleness, you'd never know the demand his flies warrant.
Another shout out to The Fly Fisher. Bjorn knows his stuff, and it's a great place for tying materials and advice. Plus, you can say hi to he shop dog while you are there.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
RIP Eureka Fly Shop, Eureka, CA.

The fly shop in Redding has an amazing selection of tying materials, but I think some of the guides are pricks and I've had unpleasant interactions with one in particular (I was in the right, he was acting like he owned the river and being butt-knocker). Ususally I save my $$$ for the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston, CA
Ditto, Herb Burton (Trinity Fly) is a true steward of the river whereas the other store seems to pimp the resources. As to “hole in the wall” shops, I have great affinity for good one. Little Fort Fly Shop is one I really like, only been there twice but good people who are generous with knowledge and the diner across the road is not to be missed.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That was really a bummer deal - great shop with some superb local knowledge. Miss it. Don't go to Omak anymore, just pass through.
There are no fly shops near the frozen tundra so I have no favorites. But I was in Okonogan County often enough that I could stop by North 40 and actually put my hands on some gear. What a brain fart it was to close that down.

Shad

Life of the Party
River's Edge always has always been the Simms showroom. They have good stock of waders, boots, etc..

As far as your comment about who you deal with, I completely agree (this is not specific to fly shops either.) No offense to young bros but at least in Bozeman these are generally college students and they change with the seasons. I'm nice and enjoy chatting with anyone but I keep my expectations low.

Anymore though I generally don't go into shops looking for too much advice. But if I do, I have my trusted resources even if that means going to a different shop. For example, if I have any questions about fishing in YNP, Johnny Mac at Troutfitters is as solid as they come.

Here's Johnny before a steelhead trip a couple years ago and I wanted to look my best for my @Salmo_g as we were being featured in a newspaper article. Being a fly fishing fashion forum influencer has its perks most of "my guys" get it.

762CFF5E-F797-4188-9FB6-DF2E1CB7A697_zps6nzt9z30.jpg

And +1 on the Slide, can't believe I didn't mention it. Kelly rubs some folks around here the wrong way but I love that guy. His videos are best in class and I always learn something. I really dig his tying style and if you look at some of the most innovative tyers around right now they all have been influenced by Kelly.

Plus he has a great sense of humor and not afraid to laugh at ourselves.

2CE41CCD-B810-407F-8C36-EBB3DD4F4076_zps8jvrrrwh.jpg
I was in there last week and was super impressed with the sheer number of capes in the back room. Feathertopia!

Folks were super helpful and friendly. I get the idea from looking around the shop that Kelly and I might have somewhat different political viewpoints, but you can tell when you talk to him that he's about fish first (with fun a close second), which is my kind of person!

My primary shop is the Fly Fisher in Lacey. I've spent a lot of money in there, but Bjorn's earned every penny. If he doesn't have something in stock, he'll help you find a good alternative, or else dig a little out of his personal stash for you. If you ask a question about tying, Bjorn's answer is often to sit down at the vice and demonstrate. Can't beat that for service! Incidentally, it was mentioned Kelly Galloup is a bit of a "controversial" character; I mentioned one of his patterns to Bjorn and got a painful-sounding grumble in response, so apparently, Bjorn's not a fan LOL. There DOES seem to be a lot of vitriol in the fishing industry, especially among guides and fly shop owners. Must be a cutthroat😉 business....

I have yet to find a fly shop I DON'T like at least a little. I've found a lot of materials I can't find locally by ordering online from random shops. Ole Florida Fly Shop, Dakota Angler, and Fins and Feathers have all taken good care of me (and FAST) in recent years....

I'm sure most can agree our favorite fly shop is our LOCAL fly shop. They keep us on the water day to day, after all.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
There are no fly shops near the frozen tundra so I have no favorites. But I was in Okonogan County often enough that I could stop by North 40 and actually put my hands on some gear. What a brain fart it was to close that down.
We flew to LA from Spokane this past April, I stopped by the new N40 in Airway Heights - I guess if you're in Spokane to visit your granddaughter - stop by, nice shop (I did get a sales pitch on the new R8). We liked heading to Omak, lunch at The Breadline, a stop at N40....... those days are gone.

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Kiene's Fly Shop in Sac-of-tomatoes, CA.
Troutfitter's in Mammoth, CA.
Ace "Mountain" Hardware in Truckee, CA.

It would be easier to come up with a long list of " late great " fly shops that are gone, but not forgotten.

gpt

Smolt
Kiene's Fly Shop in Sac-of-tomatoes, CA.
Troutfitter's in Mammoth, CA.Randall
Ace "Mountain" Hardware in Truckee, CA.

It would be easier to come up with a long list of " late great " fly shops that are gone, but not forgotten.
McNeeses in Salem, OR. a true genius of fly tying. caught with illegal polar bear, banned for life from all things fishing related.

Kaufmanns, Tigard, OR. Randall was the genius who started this business, Lance his brother, the one who ran it into the ground. great travel department run by Jerry and of course the shop staff, all wonderful welcoming people, seem in short supply today. visit with John and Amy on the Deschutes in OR for wonderful float trips learning to spay cast as well.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We flew to LA from Spokane this past April, I stopped by the new N40 in Airway Heights - I guess if you're in Spokane to visit your granddaughter - stop by, nice shop (I did get a sales pitch on the new R8). We liked heading to Omak, lunch at The Breadline, a stop at N40....... those days are gone.
Speaking of gone days Pat-my days of driving through Airway Heights are pretty much over. To get there from here is a grunt and I usually only did it because I was going to Coffeepot. Those days are gone too as the price of gas, the rattlesnakes and the fact that Coffeepot is the new Chopaka with the hordes descending on it now have really diluted the experience. Thankfully I was there when at times I was the only rig in the campground, not very likely anymore.

Nowadays I am concentrating more on the local treasures, often less than an hour away. Some are tough to get into requiring high ground clearance and 4wd but are vastly more enjoyable than driving through 45 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic. And then having the launch crowded when you get there....Usually the only fly fishermen on these lakes are the guys that I'm fishing with.

Chic Worthing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I have a number a number that I like and it seems that being a favorite limits the the discussion. Well, I am not playing fair when I say my favorite shop is the Wooly Bugger in Ellensburg WA and i like the Silver Bow equally well. Now my Absolute number 1 favorite is the Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone shops have a big edge because I am in such good humor because I am there.

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
McNeeses in Salem, OR. a true genius of fly tying. caught with illegal polar bear, banned for life from all things fishing related.

Kaufmanns, Tigard, OR. Randall was the genius who started this business, Lance his brother, the one who ran it into the ground. great travel department run by Jerry and of course the shop staff, all wonderful welcoming people, seem in short supply today. visit with John and Amy on the Deschutes in OR for wonderful float trips learning to spay cast as well.
I ordered one of Dave's reels an anti-reverse permit model back around '92 at the I.S.E. San Mateo. Had some big fish on that reel. It's now in another guy's collection

Kaufmann's "IS" what a great fly shop should aspire to be. If we could turn back time.....

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I was a complete newb, I remember Randall Kaufman would pick through what he had to get me the best feathers, and show me what to look for, while other folks I won't mention would unload the nastiest greasiest feathers they had on you. What a class act.
I've had good luck with online purchases from Avid, although I have never been there, and it seems unlikely. Online purchases from the Caddis Fly shop in Eugene have also been good.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Randall was indeed a class act. I was stunned to learn that the shop failed. My favorite memory of the shop: I was in there near Christmas one year buying some tying material. An elegant lady walked in and was asked if she needed some help finding anything.

Her response was-"I need to buy a Christmas gift for my husband".

"We have a vast selection of things that would make an ideal gift-do you have any idea what he might need?''

"I'm thinking along the line of two weeks at Christmas Island."

Joe M

Smolt
Two shops in particular stand out-

Avid Angler- Ryan and his staff are a incredible resource for patterns, tying techniques and locations.

Madison River Fishing Co- Years back on a trip to Ennis, my wife had given me a float trip on the Madison as a birthday gift through another Ennis shop. On arriving in Ennis, the other shop was closed and I couldn’t get in contact with anyone from there for 3-4 days. Stopped by MRFC looking for advice on places to wade fish. During the course of conversation, I’d mentioned the situation with the other shop. Later that day, I received a phone call from the manager of MRFC telling me that, though his shop was fully booked for float trips, he would take my dad and me out on his day off. His offer made the trip one of the best family vacations I’ve ever had.

Nomad1

Freshly Spawned
Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir Is a one man operation who stocks only the flies that work in the area. Bob’s a great guy who treats the lowliest beginner right And will refrain from rolling his eyes when some ‘expert’ will try to tell him his business.

I’m no fan of The Fy Shop near Redding. Some clown tried to mansplain my wife who is not only quite the expert but also extremely fishy. I too have been talked down to there. They do have a really good international travel operation though.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

“McNeeses in Salem, OR. a true genius of fly tying. caught with illegal polar bear, banned for life from all things fishing related.”

I could be wrong, but I’m not so sure that statement is entirely true. 😉

(Hooks, material dying, written materials, demos…)

gpt

Smolt
“McNeeses in Salem, OR. a true genius of fly tying. caught with illegal polar bear, banned for life from all things fishing related.”

I could be wrong, but I’m not so sure that statement is entirely true. 😉

(Hooks, material dying, written materials, demos…)
yes it was a federal bust. they chained his doors shut. i spoke with Dave after this happened and he confirmed to me what i posted.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
yes it was a federal bust. they chained his doors shut. i spoke with Dave after this happened and he confirmed to me what i posted.
Except…he hasn’t been banned from all things fishing related, as you stated.
That was my point.
If he had, he and I would not talk at expos (as he is tying) and such…nor would he be writing magazine articles…etc. 😉

Last edited: