Favorite Bluegill Flies

Bajema

Life of the Party
Never really fished for bluegills or other warm water species, but the family camping trip is next week and the opportunity is there. Any recommendations on what flies I should use? I’ve got mostly trout flies for stillwater and streams, but I have some time to do some tying as well if there are some particular patterns that would be good. Thanks!

DarrellP

Steelhead
I have had good luck with hair wing wets, like a McGinty, Profesional. Also any red wet fly. Fish under a Hopper or popping bug

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Small cork/balsa popping bugs are always fun, which I typically buy. You can tie equivalents with spun deer hair or elk hair or use foam. For nymphs, you can't go wrong with pheasant tails (bead-head and not) and damsel nymphs.
Steve

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Small foam spiders or little poppers. The only problem with the little poppers is they tend to inhale them.
The white ones killed on all types of panfish in Minnesota recently.
SF

A05F9797-B455-4EB4-86D7-2A5E6162FB68.jpeg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
AQ5eMKi.jpg

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Boobies!

You can fish them as a popper on a floating line, or fish them subsurface on a sinking line. Plus, the big foam eyes mostly stop them from swallowing it too deeply.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Just about any smallish fly works…blacks, browns, greens, oranges, red, peacock…elk or deer hair caddis…😉

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Try a Cajun coachmam
Neat fly, thanks!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just saw this interesting panfish pattern called a triangle fly on another site.
1658697857044.png
The Op says it's highly effective yet keeps them from swallowing the hook.