Favorite affordable hook brand/series?

Flymph

Steelhead
Still a Mustard fan but have had good luck with Fish Guy ($5 per hundred) hooks. No breaks yet! Anybody remember when they were $.03 a piece at the White Elephant on Division? I thinks they were Mustads???

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I’ve started tying on Firehole sticks that I really like. A good variety of styles and they’re all barbless. They come in 36 packs that are around $8.50 ea. at Avid or you can but packs of 50 directly at $11.50. I like the quality and they are ‘sticky’ . On occasion I’ve had to use forceps to take the 718s, chironomid style, out of fish, they ‘bury’ that well. No breakages but I’ve not encountered any real bruisers yet. Much better than the Diachi 1760s (gotta crimp barbs and lighter wire guage). For what it’s worth Wes Penny from BC really rates them too but in full disclosure I think he sells them too.

Per others thoughts. For me in order I spend more on leader, hooks, line, rod and lastly reels. Good knots are where it starts…can’t break/bend a hook with poor knots or a crap leader unless the hook is truly shite….

Dave

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve started tying on Firehole sticks that I really like. A good variety of styles and they’re all barbless. They come in 36 packs that are around $8.50 ea. at Avid or you can but packs of 50 directly at $11.50. I like the quality and they are ‘sticky’ . On occasion I’ve had to use forceps to take the 319s, chironomid style, out of fish, they ‘bury’ that well. No breakages but I’ve not encountered any real bruisers yet. Much better than the Diachi 1760s (gotta crimp barbs and lighter wire guage). For what it’s worth Wes Penny from BC really rates them too but in full disclosure I think he sells them too.

Per others thoughts. For me in order I spend more on leader, hooks, line, rod and lastly reels. Good knots are where it starts…can’t break/bend a hook with poor knots or a crap leader unless the hook is truly shite….

Dave

I use these for ALL my nymphs.
I've heard some people complain about them straightening, but I've literally never had one straighten on me.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I use these for ALL my nymphs.
I've heard some people complain about them straightening, but I've literally never had one straighten on me.
I made an error in my post, I use the 718ws for my mids. I really can't see these failing as compared to say rival types like the 1760 or 2302s, they do bend out a lot, esp. in sizes >12, the gauge is less than the Firehole ones. Ask on a BC website and see what they have to say about 1760s and big fish.

Dave

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are you still able to get Maruto hooks? I do like them, wish they were available in the lower 48.
I really like Maruto hooks...strong, sticky sharp and reasonable $$..Especially like their stainless for the salt. Hanak and Daiichi also make great hooks, for same reasons as Maruto.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Firehole are good hooks but some of their larger jig hooks won't take certain slotted beads.

SO. you're saying hooks can be cheap AND good?
I'm kidding of course. But for real, Firehole hooks are VERY affordable.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I really like Maruto hooks...strong, sticky sharp and reasonable $$..Especially like their stainless for the salt. Hanak and DIaiichi also make great hooks, for same reasons as Maruto.
I wish Maruto would/could market their hooks south of the border! I remember "Squamish Poacher" talking about these hooks so I googled them and started a correspondence with Maruto (Dohitomi & Co.). Graciously they sent me a sampling of their C40HW in five sizes. Since then, Glenn (thank you @ABITNF) sent me a stash of these. Great hooks, love the straight eye and shank length.

ABITNF

Steelhead
The c40HW is a great hook for chironomids. The 18s are a perfect size.

As for Firehole sticks, cheap, and I mean here "inexpensive", is relative to cost associated to the product. We order from Joe and they're a great hook and loved by our customers. But being in Canada our final price includes shipping, exchange on our weak dollar, duty and brokerage fees which makes them about the same price as other hooks we source within Canada.

As for Dai-Riki, I emailed Dan Bailey's in Livingston and was advised that John Bailey, the son of Dan Bailey, sold the business to an ex employee in April of 2020. The new owner decided not to continue in the manufacturing and distributing of any of the Dan Bailey branded products (waders, fly tying hooks, leaders etc.). In short, there are no longer any Dai-Riki hooks available.

Too bad as they had some very good hook styles. A few shops, eBay, etc., have some left but there'll be no new production.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I realized some 30 years ago that the most critical connection between the fish and me landing it was the hook. At that point my hook selection was based on how the hook preformed in hooking and landing the fish. Currently the bulk of my tying is on various Daiichi and Mustad hooks. For very small hooks (20 to 24s) I typically tied on Orvis big eye hooks.

Curt
I like those Orvis big eyes too. Sure seems like all the hook manufacturers could increase the size of the eye on small hooks...