Fave hopper pattern

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Been using the standard bullethead hopper made with dear hair and while it does OK i dont like the water saturation on the fly after 2-3 fish... Looked at foam body ones and purchased a few of the Morris hopper ... Hope they fish as good as they look... Whats your favorite patten?

0000002560.jpg

I really like the profile on this pattern

jx570bz1eyhxn3urmaap.jpg

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Been using the standard bullethead hopper made with dear hair and while it does OK i dont like the water saturation on the fly after 2-3 fish... Looked at foam body ones and purchased a few of the Morris hopper ... Hope they fish as good as they look... Whats your favorite patten?

View attachment 102073

I really like the profile on this pattern

View attachment 102075
The Morrish has recently become my favorite hopper pattern. Especially with a light pink underside.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Big fan of a madam x, but use a foam
Body I wrap on the hook and Palmer up some brown hackle in the segment ridges. Yewllow or tan body. Usually white or red rubber legs. Typically substitute some red tag for the butt instead of the deer hair. I guess in that case it’s a “modified Madam x” cause that’s pretty different than the original
But don’t feel like it’s a new fly.

If im being lazy, same as above but tie the wing like an elk hair caddis and leave the hair a little longer at the head

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not even sure what this pattern is called, but I went through a lot of them. Not very durable but when you are catching fish, there are worse problems to have.
SF

IMG_6413.jpeg

Reactions: Zak