SFR Faux Filson Pack Makes Waves In Hollywood

Sorta fishing-related

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As if inauthenticity couldn't get any more sticky and messy than the new softer easy apply Filson "wax" now this.

Does this company actually have a soul or even attempt to make it's own stuff or is it simply a rebranding brand living off former glories, which were glorious? Now they are claiming other people's stuff? This is the fly fishing equivalent of taking credit for a steelhead photo as your catch when it was in fact a Michigan fish with nothing real about it including your involvement.

Filson, might as well fake the rest.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
That's a bummer for a company I used to think highly of.

But that seems to be the way of the world these days. VC/private equity buyers come in and then it's all about the $ and nothing else matters. So goes life I suppose.

Either that or it's just some marketing VP's screwup and heads will roll. Did make me Google Frost River, a company I'd not ever heard of.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I watched the 60sec clip. Sounds like a frost river money grab perhaps. I saw a backpack flash for a second. I stopped the video and could not determine it looked like anything but generic pack. Maybe there is more of the frost river unit in the movie? Is credit for every single generic thing a requirement? Every guy in a movie you see wearing levis then levis gets paid?

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Reading this, I think Frost River is into a money grab , but also might have a legitimate claim under Lanham Act.

But, I think a very smart defense lawyer can turn this into a non starter for their client by checking actual design and patent dates on what is essentially a knock off of a Swiss design.

Also, which company is older? Who had the design first in the US ?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I watched the 60sec clip. Sounds like a frost river money grab perhaps. I saw a backpack flash for a second. I stopped the video and could not determine it looked like anything but generic pack. Maybe there is more of the frost river unit in the movie? Is credit for every single generic thing a requirement? Every guy in a movie you see wearing levis then levis gets paid?
Reading this, I think Frost River is into a money grab , but also might have a legitimate claim under Lanham Act.

But, I think a very smart defense lawyer can turn this into a non starter for their client by checking actual design and patent dates on what is essentially a knock off of a Swiss design.

Also, which company is older? Who had the design first in the US ?
When you have a company that essentially makes very little of it's line and is a habitual rebrand and triple the price strategist I would think it's at least compulsory to ask permission to brand something with your once meaningful logo. I hope Frost River gets a bucket of money from said unscrupulous company and a ton of exposure. I had not heard of them till now and it appears they are an actual USA manufacture delving in the same market Filson once did. If Frost River were my company I would sue then launch an advertising campaign about my gear being so much the genuine article that the former makers of genuine articles attempt to pass it off as their own.

Frost River, gear so authentic that companies living off of false authenticity try to claim it. Be the genuine article. Those who are buy Frost River. Proudly made in the USA where the American worker and manufacture is more than a punchline in a bad joke.

Frost River, genuine gear for genuine outdoorsmen.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
They'll have to sue the Czech Govt for infringement ala the Chech M60
1690745712026.jpeg

And the Swiss army
index.php

And I wonder whom else who had this design before Frost River copied it.

Claim in favor of frost river all you want, but it really seems to be a company posing for a money grab.

And yeah, Filson is just an expensive reseller now, just like Eddie Bauer, l.l. bean and Woolrich, none of whom make anything of their own any more.

Attachments

• 1690745605629.jpeg
    1690745605629.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 113

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Know what? More I think on this, let em fight. It's just a spat between a bunch of greedy globalist children.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They'll have to sue the Czech Govt for infringement ala the Chech M60
View attachment 75262

And the Swiss army
index.php

And I wonder whom else who had this design before Frost River copied it.

Claim in favor of frost river all you want, but it really seems to be a company posing for a money grab.

And yeah, Filson is just an expensive reseller now, just like Eddie Bauer, l.l. bean and Woolrich, none of whom make anything of their own any more.

Frost River makes their own stuff. That's why it's extra slimy. Nobody is going to get upset if you cover a Willie Nelson song. It would be shitty if Willie stole your song and said it was his. That's the difference............

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Know what? More I think on this, let em fight. It's just a spat between a bunch of greedy globalist children.

No. This is a battle of real versus fake. A battle of authentic and standard hipster poser bullshit.

At the end of the day there are two types of middle to later age sportsmen who actually wear tin cloth. There's the guy with a closet full of last year's Filson and a Chinese Harley in the garage with full Jack Daniels leathers and the guy with a cool motorcycle in his garage and his grandpa's tin cruiser he rides in from time to time.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
What a stupid pack. Too short, no waist belt, no padded shoulders, but no real room for rock samples or maps or raingear or a small first aid/self rescue kit. Good I suppose for lunch and a small notebook and maybe a 1 quart water bottle. "Geologist Pack". Yeah, right. One of their bushcraft packs might work...if you add the waist belt. No internal stiffener, a big help toting rock samples over rough terrain.

When I first went north, I took filson tin pants and cruiser vest, a North Face mummy bag, and a Sacs Millet field pack with side pockets. A locally made field belt with Gfeller attachments for hammer and brunton and acid bottle. A pair of Vasque Hiker II boots and a pair of BFGoodrich Xtratufs rounded out the kit, packed in a Eddie Bauer canvas duffle bag with the rest of my clothes. I wore out the tin pants that year. I wore out that vest a year later, and two additional cruiser vests since, (the 4th is looking pretty ratty but lasted a long time when I took a desk job). I wore out the mummy bag and replaced it with an Eddie Bauer, it too is gone. 5 soles on the Vasques before there was nothing to resole, and of course the SE tennies are long gone. My Sacs Millet field pack is gone as well, the internal plywood frame wearing through the canvas holder and the last known repair person having retired. The canvas duffle bag is still up and running after going a lot of places. The belt with hammer and brunton are still in my truck, and quite useful.

I don't think you can replace the tin pants, mummy bag, and pack any more with anything nearly as serviceable. Light weight doesn't necessarily translate to long lasting. Jansport stuff had promise but I think they're gone. Patagonia made some great climbing pants. I looked at Carhartt stuff recently, and their working person's product lines are getting smaller and much harder to find.

But if you're asking who wears tin pants, it's men and women in the bush who need things to last with heavy loads under tough conditions in the mines and prospects and timber areas of the north.. There may not be as many as there used to be, but their still out there. They've been abandoned by Filson, North Face, Carhartt, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, and the rest, for the much more profitable suburban "adventurer" market.