Fall water temperature change

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
So when I was out in the rain the other day the COE staff was doing some monitoring. He was logging water temps at 20C, down from a season high of 28. I sure could tell the fish are getting into the fall feeding mode. Fished a olive willy, followed 3 ft. by a black simileech, followed 3ft. by an olive simileech.
20230827_flies.jpg
Just on fire. Had several triples on, but only landed doubles.
20230827_doubpan.jpg20230827_troutdoub.jpg
The olive willy was the best of that set.
20230827_willycrap.jpg
After this dude bent out the black leech
20230827_yuck.jpg
I rerigged the last 2 flies with soft hackles. The tellico nymph was as good as the willy, accounted for a lot of trout.
20230827_tellico.jpg
20230827_tellicofish.jpg
Kids are gone, and I skipped church to fish. Just a great morning before the air gets too hot. I think the fish think fall is here.
20230827_102413.jpg

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
Animals, fish, insects are much more in tune with nature's changes and prepare for the changes much earlier than humans (if humans do at all).

My favorite time to fish is in the fall when the fish decide to put the feedbag on. Your success above just demonstrates that completely. Well done!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You're a madman, Tom!

Love the cross species (families even) doubles.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Not only were the fish strong with good stamina, but they are yummy. The wife preferred the trout, which cut pink. I think I liked the crappie best.
20230827_183116.jpg