NFR EV's?

Non-fishing related

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Vans at one time were sexy, then they weren't, but they will always be useful and practical. When Number One Son played travel baseball and travel hockey, we had a Ford Aerostar (not sexy) - it was great, and absolutely the best time of life. If I had young kids, would definitely go back to a van, probably hybrid.

Cheers

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
For folks with kids, do you actually need a big car?
As others have pointed out, it depends on your kids and lifestyle. For us (2 daughters) during the 6-16 years, our Honda Odyssey was indispensable. One kid was a competition level gymnast, so we traveled to meets all over WA/OR, often with teammates or friends along. I mean, I guess you could always be those guys who never volunteer to drive the carpool! For family vacations, we could easily fit camping gear or golf clubs, the dog, etc. It hauled furniture and other big stuff- without worrying about rain - countless times.
(And @charles sullivan , my husband is the one whose family motto is "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!" 😉 )

I went back to smaller SUVs when the girls got old enough to drive, but promptly bought an AWD Sienna when I retired (pre hybrid.) For me it’s the perfect fishing and camping vehicle, with the bonus of better mileage than the SUVs I had. Incidentally, that Sienna also easily out-accelerates either of them. IMO, a minivan is a better actual utility vehicle than most SUVs are.

To loop this subject back to the OP - be aware that in some models of the hybrid Sienna, you cannot remove the middle seats. A friend discovered that after buying one. That would be a no-go for me!

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As others have pointed out, it depends on your kids and lifestyle. For us (2 daughters) during the 6-16 years, our Honda Odyssey was indispensable. One kid was a competition level gymnast, so we traveled to meets all over WA/OR, often with teammates or friends along. I mean, I guess you could always be those guys who never volunteer to drive the carpool! For family vacations, we could easily fit camping gear or golf clubs, the dog, etc. It hauled furniture and other big stuff- without worrying about rain - countless times.
(And @charles sullivan , my husband is the one whose family motto is "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!" 😉 )

I went back to smaller SUVs when the girls got old enough to drive, but promptly bought an AWD Sienna when I retired (pre hybrid.) For me it’s the perfect fishing and camping vehicle, with the bonus of better mileage than the SUVs I had. Incidentally, that Sienna also easily out-accelerates either of them. IMO, a minivan is a better actual utility vehicle than most SUVs are.

To loop this subject back to the OP - be aware that in some models of the hybrid Sienna, you cannot remove the middle seats. A friend discovered that after buying one. That would be a no-go for me!
A whole family of over packers? Sweet Jesus! That sounds awful! I would refuse any and all vacations with the in-laws. Truth be told, they would not likely invite me anyhow, at least not after what I told her aunt about her parenting.

My rant was a bit stereotypical and sexist. I'm sorry about that. Rants tend to become in some way self centered and absolutist. In my defense, save for a one father that I know (an actual boy scout troop leader), the situation I described was what I experienced as the norm with small children. I know one father who would snap and say, "Get in the car. If we need it, we will buy it!" I always loved that.

In my case, my partner is an uber-efficient packer, like carry-on only efficient, with the exception of when we had small children. That god damned stroller! Sometimes we needed an umbrella stroller and a full size cruiser stroller. Who needs 2 strollers? I need 0 strollers! The kid just hangs out on your back. See? so easy! The stroller is right up there with the fucking piano as things that I hate due to having to move them. I hope she dies first just so I can smash that fucking piano into a million small pieces and then burn it so I can piss on the ashes.

That was somewhat cathartic.

I hope that you have a great day.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
If you're taking the whole tribe 'cross country' to Wally World the Wagon Queen Family Truckster is the perfect vehicle.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
A whole family of over packers? Sweet Jesus! That sounds awful! I would refuse any and all vacations with the in-laws. Truth be told, they would not likely invite me anyhow, at least not after what I told her aunt about her parenting.

My rant was a bit stereotypical and sexist. I'm sorry about that. Rants tend to become in some way self centered and absolutist. In my defense, save for a one father that I know (an actual boy scout troop leader), the situation I described was what I experienced as the norm with small children. I know one father who would snap and say, "Get in the car. If we need it, we will buy it!" I always loved that.

In my case, my partner is an uber-efficient packer, like carry-on only efficient, with the exception of when we had small children. That god damned stroller! Sometimes we needed an umbrella stroller and a full size cruiser stroller. Who needs 2 strollers? I need 0 strollers! The kid just hangs out on your back. See? so easy! The stroller is right up there with the fucking piano as things that I hate due to having to move them. I hope she dies first just so I can smash that fucking piano into a million small pieces and then burn it so I can piss on the ashes.

That was somewhat cathartic.

I hope that you have a great day.
Hey man, the shack nasties affect different people I different ways.....😆

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
A few years later, the 2 daughters were musicians and athletes, so we were constantly on the go with lots of gear. Enter the Dodge Grand Caravan... I have no regrets about having that van at that time.
We had a Plymouth Voyager that worked quite well hauling kids, their friends, and all sorts of stuff. Great for camping. Rack on top for a canoe or a bunch of bikes. Great machine for making wonderful memories. Definitely wasn't 'cool' but when life gets complicated who gives a shit about 'cool'?
Thread sidestep...
I honestly have nothing against minivans, and agree that they provide a lot of flexibility; especially with AWD and suspension upgrades, but this TV ad was amusing.

OK, back to the virtues of minivans, Mommie Missles, Maternal Utility Vehicles...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Toyota missed the boat when they didn't put this Sienna show car they built into production ...and as an EV? :)

toyota-sienna-uuv-front-three-quarter1.jpg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Vans at one time were sexy, then they weren't, but they will always be useful and practical. When Number One Son played travel baseball and travel hockey, we had a Ford Aerostar (not sexy) - it was great, and absolutely the best time of life. If I had young kids, would definitely go back to a van, probably hybrid.

Cheers
1991 Ford Aerostar extended was my first car in HS. I called it birth control on wheels, maybe not the ugliest vehicle ever made, but top 5.

majpreal

Steelhead
There's an upstart EV company called Canoo that has an interesting platform, but they have not delivered anything yet although it appears they have large fleet commitments from some big names. The have a van and a pickup that are just modifications of one platform. The pickup sort of reminds of a Batman version of an old school COE (cab over engine) truck.
home-pickup-trimmed.png

home-life-v5-a.png

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
There's an upstart EV company called Canoo that has an interesting platform, but they have not delivered anything yet although it appears they have large fleet commitments from some big names. The have a van and a pickup that are just modifications of one platform. The pickup sort of reminds of a Batman version of an old school COE (cab over engine) truck.
home-pickup-trimmed.png

home-life-v5-a.png
I actually really like these a lot. Very practical designs that aren't built around the design limitations of IC engine vehicles.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

Cheers
If I could convince my wife that vans are sexy I'd totally have a hybrid van. That's basically the most practical vehicle possible for a family our size (5) with two big dogs. But alas, she agrees with you and doesn't think vans are sexy.....:rolleyes:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've just never been able to relate to the mindset of choosing a vehicle based on looks. If there's a vehicle that does the job better for you and is overall more practical, then to me, that's the obvious choice. A vehicle is a tool (at least primary vehicles... I understand that there are toy vehicles that are chosen on different criteria). At least that's the only way I can comprehend vehicle selection.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've just never been able to relate to the mindset of choosing a vehicle based on looks. If there's a vehicle that does the job better for you and is overall more practical, then to me, that's the obvious choice. A vehicle is a tool (at least primary vehicles... I understand that there are toy vehicles that are chosen on different criteria). At least that's the only way I can comprehend vehicle selection.
Me too
Unless you’re crazy wealthy then just go for it

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Putting AWD on a station wagon and calling it an SUV was a stroke of genius. It transformed a vehicle that few wanted to be associated with into one that few can live without. Compared to a van the SUV usually cost more, gets worse mileage, has less interior room and cargo capacity, cost more to insure, maintain and operate, doesn't handle as well and is not as comfortable. Many of the people that claim to hate minivans have never owned or driven one and are simply mouthing what they have heard others say. Like good lemmings they go along with a popular misconception. It doesn't take a Phi Beta Kappa candidate to realize that a minivan is a far more useful family vehicle around town than an SUV. And for a road trip it is no contest, the van offers a far more commodious space for kids, dogs, stuff, with better mileage.

For years I have longed for a "Man Van" with AWD, a lift, no third row seat, instead a locker to stow cameras, fly rods and reels or shotguns, all terrain tires and off road shocks and a removable center seat that could quickly be removed to reveal a perfectly flat floor. It will never happen of course but what a sweet fishing rig that would be with a 4,000 # towing capacity that could haul and launch a drift boat or tow a small camp trailer.

Instead we will continue to get thousands of cookie cutter SUV's until the fad runs out and some other must-have configuration appears.

For the record, I have owned several SUV's and loved every one of them but I have also owned a luxury minivan and know the difference.