NFR Ever wonder what 100 years of paint looks like?

Non-fishing related

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
In the process of having a bathroom added to our house, we know our existing bath would take some damage. That was ok with us as we wanted to give it a facelift too. The bathroom and closet doors had paint that was bubbling, cracking, and peeling. I knew what needed to be done.
IMG_20220221_150641.jpgIMG_20220221_162146.jpg
A 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full with peeled paint. I could at least a dozen different colors, most of it some form of pink or mint green.

RCF

Life of the Party
Asbestos for sure. Please Handle and dispose of carefully...

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I like finding and reading the 100 year old newspaper they usually used in the wall for insulation.
There wasn't any for insulation, but when the contractor pulled up the flooring, they found issues from 1944 layered under the floor. The house was built in 1928.

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_181545.jpg
    IMG_20220201_181545.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220201_181538.jpg
    IMG_20220201_181538.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 6

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
How did he heat gun work for you? I have some old hardwood floors that have paint on them that needs to be removed. Looking at all options.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
How did he heat gun work for you? I have some old hardwood floors that have paint on them that needs to be removed. Looking at all options.
It's slow, tedious work. Holding the heat gun a few inches in front of a putty knife and scraping, almost shaving, off the paint. It took me about 90 minutes for each side of the door, plus additional time for sanding after scraping. Probably would have been faster and easier had it not been ~30 coats of paint to get through. I would not want to have to do that on hands and knees.